Another WA shark attack...

WeegieDave

Guest Guest26012

I swim in the ocean, yes, there are sharks. Always swim where there are life guards and within the range they specify. Shark attacks are rare but always make headlines? To those that have experienced shark attacks or know someone who has, shocking tbh. It doesn't and will not, put me off swimming in the ocean, it's a risk we take.

Possibly.

Some of my faves;

Saw a car driving down the grass-strip central reservation, around Warwick. Looked across and the female driver was slumped over the steering wheel, the car then ambled and came to a stop against a tree.

Passed through a booze bus check and saw a woman being carried out of her car by the police, unable to walk. There were about 12 cars on the side of the road.

Went round the freeway bend by Hepburn Ave and had to swerve to miss a car. A bloke had just parked on the freeway to get out and have a drink under the freeway exit bridge. Well it was a warm day.

Love being in the ocean but never out of my depth. Our 3 kids go to secret harbour nippers every Sunday together with about 100 others plus parents and surfers. That's just one beach so I'd say the odds of getting attacked are still slim.

I agree about the roads being far more dangerous, went through a booze bus check a couple of weeks back on a Friday night around 11:30 and 8 cars already on the central reservation. Oh and there's the idiots that actually drink bottles of beer while driving !

• 3 weeks later...
I have never and never will go in the water over here. The waters are rife with sharks. I read they had to close Cottesloe beach earlier this week as a shark was spotted just 20 meters off the shore.

Seriously if I couldn't go in the water on an almost daily basis I wouldn't see the point in living here. That's one of the main things me and the wife emigrated for, to live the lifestyle of being near the coast so we could use it. The waters are rife with sharks is way over the top. You stand a lot more chance of being killed in the drive to and from the beach than a shark attack.

There are a few sharks out there, always have been, but the chance of an attack very, very low. Got to admit I don't feel as comfortable as I used to in the water these last couple of years and we swim closer to the beach and parallel with it, rather than out to some buoys about 200m off shore that we used to use all the time. Just gives you something to aim for and swim round.

Still go in the water as much as I ever have and don't intend to change that. Fully support the actions that the government are taking on reducing the risk though.

Incorrect... 9 deaths in the last decade and numerous attacks... Check out the timeline on page 1 of this thread :)

The timeline runs from 2000 and even 9 deaths is pretty low given the amount of coastline that the reports cover. There is even one report from Cocos Keeling Islands, about 2750 kilometres north-west of Perth.

The reports are from one end of the state to the other the coastline in WA is massive. In Kilometres below.

[TABLE=class: tbl-general]

[TR]

[TD]

Western Australia

[/TD]

[TD]Mainland Length ,

[/TD]

[TD]Island Length

[/TD]

[TD]Total Length .

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]7,892

[/TD]

[TD]20,781

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I'll carry on taking my chances.

• 3 weeks later...

I won't stop going in but tend to stay waist deep in the surf with lots of seal looking surfers behind me !

When you see a nippers/surf life saving session on a Sunday and see so many people on the beach or in the sea you realise how small the chances are of being singled out.

And for the record the anti shark measures are wrong and need to cease immediately, it is their space not ours !

Archived