Plans to emigrate to SA

markd1982

Hi

i am currently researching a move to Adelaide to work in Real Estate and wondered if anyone could help with regards to where to begin with visa application, expected timescales, migration agents etc.

i am already speaking to immi and some real estate agents but wondered if someone could advise how they started and what I should expect to face re challenges along the way.

Thank you

The first thing to do is go to immi.gov.au and look at the SOL and CSOL lists. Your occupation needs to be on one of them. If it is only on the CSOL then you would also need either estate or employer sponsorship. I think it would be hard to get employer sponsorship.

Family will be of no use unless they live in a regional area.

Thank you for the info.

In order to get a sponsor is it a "simple" case of trying to get a job secured before going? Would my future employer take care of the Visa application or are they simply a name to go on the application?

With regards to a 489 Visa, would this allow me to get a visa automatically or would I still need employer/state sponsorship?

I have been speaking to a number of agents who seem keen to have me on board but the sponsorship thing seems to be the sticking point. Can I get a Visa with a job offer without sponsorship?

thank you for your help so far. An evening on immi.gov ahead :)

Thank you for the info.

In order to get a sponsor is it a "simple" case of trying to get a job secured before going? Would my future employer take care of the Visa application or are they simply a name to go on the application?

With regards to a 489 Visa, would this allow me to get a visa automatically or would I still need employer/state sponsorship?

I have been speaking to a number of agents who seem keen to have me on board but the sponsorship thing seems to be the sticking point. Can I get a Visa with a job offer without sponsorship?

thank you for your help so far. An evening on immi.gov ahead :)

Honestly, I think your chances of immigration at the moment are not good. The Real Estate occupations are all on the CSOL which means family sponsorship is out and you must get the state or employer sponsorship. I think finding a willing and able employer sponsor is unlikely, but yes you would just have to look for jobs in the usual way and hope you find an employer prepared to sponsor. Trouble is not only do they need to be prepared, they need to demonstrate that they could not find anyone locally, which all seems very unlikely.

So that brings us to state sponsorship, this is not an occupation that I have seen on the sponsorship lists, but I haven't specifically looked and you should try that. ACT often has quite a long list. Somebody mentioned that it is on SA but only if you can get a job offer, so you could also look to see if you can secure a job and tell the employers that you can get your own visa so long as you have the offer (although of course it is not guaranteed tht you would get the visa but that is how you would pitch it)!.

Thanks Rupert that's really helpful.

I knew it wasn't going to be as simple as I'd hoped. My wife's a primary school teacher and we thought about using that as our way in but she wouldn't intend on working and I would just start work when we got over there. Is that worth considering?

Thanks Rupert that's really helpful.

I knew it wasn't going to be as simple as I'd hoped. My wife's a primary school teacher and we thought about using that as our way in but she wouldn't intend on working and I would just start work when we got over there. Is that worth considering?

Primary school teacher is also only on the CSOL meaning she would need sponsorship too. I think it was only on WA list for a while, but I have not looked or heard much on that lately so have another look.

Your decision around who is to be the main applicant should not be influenced by who will go to work, that is irrelevant as you both get the same visa. If she has sponsorship opportunity then yes she should be main applicant. She needs four years of university to be a teacher in Australia and pass skills assessment by the way.

Thanks again Rupert.

Have you got any advice re how we should approach? Is there a cost to applying for a visa or can we just keep applying and hope one day we get accepted?

No there is no point whatsoever in reapplying and hoping you will get accepted. You should be looking to get your visa first time and if you meet the criteria you will get it, if you don't you won't. Chance or luck does not come into it.

As a next step I would see if your wife can get a visa rather than you, as you need to get a job offer for any chance at all. So I would look into whether any state is sponsoring for primary teachers at the moment. And whether she can pass skills assessment, you didn't answe on the four year thing, that can be a sticking point in this occupation for some.

My wife did a 4 yr teaching degree so that part of the criteria isn't a problem fortunately.

Can we apply for a Visa for another territory but still move to SA or are there restrictions to stop this happening? Could we, for example, get a Visa in NSW but move to SA for me to start work? We want to be in Adelaide due to family already being there.

Is it possible to get a temporary work visa and then apply for a more permanent visa when in Oz? Was thinking we could try approach things that way? Would this approach make it easier?

It is a really risky approach, unless you're just up for an adventure and don't mind returning to the UK. It is possible to get sponsored by an employer on a temporary visa (457) as a Real Estate Agent or Real Estate Representative but you would have to find an employer willing to do this and I don't know how likely that is. At the end of the 457 visa you are no more likely to get a permanent visa than you are now unless the employer then decides to offer you 'Employer nominated sponsorship'

There is no temporary work visa that you can get without sponsorship unless you are under 30.

It does seem the only hope is for you or your wife to find an employer willing to sponsor you - you have to decide if you are going to focus just on Adelaide or are willing to play a longer game to get to your final destination.

The only other option is retraining in a skill on the SOL and then getting the relevant post qualifying experience (all the while hoping it isn't taken off the SOL) - your wife may stand the best chance as there are various teaching roles on the SOL

[TABLE=width: 877]

[TR]

[TD=width: 875] Early Childhood (Pre-Primary

School) Teacher

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 875] Secondary School Teacher

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 875] Special Needs Teacher

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 875] Teacher of the Hearing Impaired

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 875] Teacher of the Sight Impaired

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 875] Special Education Teachers nec

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Retraining into one of those may not take too long...once in Australia you can actually take any job.

I actually came out as a Social Worker, a job I'd not done for 10 years and had no intention of doing again.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to set up a Real Estate company in SA but business visas require an awful lot of capital to invest - I know little about them but worth a mention in case you're a secret millionaire :)

The only other thing that comes to mind is to set up a Real Estate company in SA but business visas require an awful lot of capital to invest - I know little about them but worth a mention in case you're a secret millionaire :)

If only! Wish we were secret millionaires!

With regards to "early years teacher" what age does this cover? My wife's degree is primary education (5-11yr olds) but she also has 4 yrs experience teaching early years which is 3+ yrs. would that be sufficient to qualify as early years for the purpose of getting our visas? I don't think she'd have any probs passing the tests :)

If we did get a visa on this basis I assume there's no need for my wife to actually work, is there?

If we did get a visa on this basis I assume there's no need for my wife to actually work, is there?

No, there isnt. T

To quote an immigration agent we spoke to, she could "cook hot dogs on the beach" if she wanted to. Morally wrong perhaps, but that is the way it is as it stands. The fact that you have family in the state will count for you too surely, rather than against too.

I think your best option is to take this to a registered migration agent to see what options you may have.

I think you're right Verystormy. This will be my first call on Monday morning :) There seem to be a few options, all of which seem to have conditions attached. It's a minefield :)

If only! Wish we were secret millionaires!

With regards to "early years teacher" what age does this cover? My wife's degree is primary education (5-11yr olds) but she also has 4 yrs experience teaching early years which is 3+ yrs. would that be sufficient to qualify as early years for the purpose of getting our visas? I don't think she'd have any probs passing the tests :)

I honestly don't know, it also depends how recent the experience was - there is more chance if it is 4 years out of the last 5 but I don't know if the fact her degree is not early years would be an issue - definitely questions for a migration agent.

And no she wouldn't need to work once you were there.

With regards to family sponsorship, does this have a cost implication to them? My sister thinks there's quite a big cost involved??

Also, I have 1yr & 4yr old daughters. Would I have to get Visas for them or would they come on our Visa? The Estimate on the immi.gov site says applicants under 18 and charges about £600 per child but wondered if this was over a certain age?

Archived