Considering the move to Australia...confusing!

AnneMarie3

I am considering moving my family to Australia for 3 main reasons 1. Lifestyle 2. Education and 3.Society. Here in the UK raising young children is a constant worry and society is against me on most points :( We are in the process of applying for visas and have been approved on the pre assessment which is good. We have chosen Gold coast to buy a property before moving out there as I have heard this is fantastic for bringing up children. Does anyone have any tips or advice that may help me. My main concern is being able to get a job. I have a lot of qualifications and have just finished my degree in health and social care so will be hoping to gain a job within a school (behaivour management) is my main interest and I currently do this here in the Uk and my partner is a carpenter. The problem with my partner is that he has worked 12 years 'on the job' gaining experience was more important than qualifications back in his day. I am not sure if this will hold him back. Although he is fantastic at literally building houses and fitting intererior designs from kitchens to roofing and staircases I am wondering how he will prove this. Also I am considering how much living costs will be in Austrailia in comparison to here in the UK. We are considering buying a home outright so will have no mortgage but what is the average medical cost expenses and monthly household bills? The information on Google is so contradicting. I am confused. Is a good move or a bad one???

Initially I would see what your chances of finding work are in the GC...behaviour management is not something that strikes me you would find easily in oz, especially a school in the GC?! I would def look into job opportunities..for you both in your chosen area.

i once saw a school needing a social worker, but needed a sw degree.

To be honest I am not sure what you could actually do in a school. You cannot teach without a teaching qualification and on the welfare side, well schools here all have trained and accredited school psychologists - this is common in Australia.

You could possibly work as an EA ( teacher assistant) as you have an interest in behaviour management. The pay would not be high though and you would be over qualified.

Your first consideration is which state you might be able to obtain a visa for, then look at areas and job possibilities.

I would think twice, three times about Gold Coast. It can get very humid and many ex-pats have been shocked and even distressed at the short days (its dark by 6pm, year round as Qld does not have daylight saving) and the amount of rain. Don't get me wrong, rainy gloomy Britain it is not, but all things to consider all the same. Are you really sure you can buy a house outright?? Wow ! (Wish we could...)

Good advice from the above, but don't get your heart too set on GC or Qld. We were wanting to look at Melbourne only to find we couldn't, but ended up looking at Adelaide/SA and found it is better all round anyway and with that I am fairly sure that behaviour management is actually on the SOL list for South Australia.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your comments perhaps further consideration is needed with regards to area and jobs. It's quite hard to do from uk as all information is really contradicting dependant on sites that are found. We don't know anyone over there so trying to find all info alone is proving difficult so thanks for input this has certainly helped and given me lots to consider :)

I am considering moving my family to Australia for 3 main reasons 1. Lifestyle 2. Education and 3.Society. Here in the UK raising young children is a constant worry and society is against me on most points :( We are in the process of applying for visas and have been approved on the pre assessment which is good. We have chosen Gold coast to buy a property before moving out there as I have heard this is fantastic for bringing up children. Does anyone have any tips or advice that may help me. My main concern is being able to get a job. I have a lot of qualifications and have just finished my degree in health and social care so will be hoping to gain a job within a school (behaivour management) is my main interest and I currently do this here in the Uk and my partner is a carpenter. The problem with my partner is that he has worked 12 years 'on the job' gaining experience was more important than qualifications back in his day. I am not sure if this will hold him back. Although he is fantastic at literally building houses and fitting intererior designs from kitchens to roofing and staircases I am wondering how he will prove this. Also I am considering how much living costs will be in Austrailia in comparison to here in the UK. We are considering buying a home outright so will have no mortgage but what is the average medical cost expenses and monthly household bills? The information on Google is so contradicting. I am confused. Is a good move or a bad one???

In any event, you pretty much have to get your visa and move first and then look for a job. It is unlikely you both will find jobs in your fields or anything close while in the UK even after you get your visa granted to you. This will always be a paradox for most people if they are considering migrating to another country. Most employers will not take you seriously until and unless you get your visa and living in the country so in that sense you will be taking a chance but that said I am sure you both will find employment.

Your reasons for moving, 1), 2) & 3) sound a bit romantic / idealistic but not fact based. Lifestyle is up to you and what you make of it, education most people will say is the same if not alittle worse in australia and society well I have no idea what that means, but if you mean that everyone is just generally nicer, you have to know that you cannot make sweeping generalisations about either country. The Gold Coast might not be such a great place to bring up children with it's high unemployment rates.

I think there are two things you should do now and one is to work out if you can get a visa, it sounds like your husband would need to be the main applicant and the main things to check are if he can get enough points and if he can pass a skills assessment.

I would then thing a bit more about the why you want to move. Many people move for an adventure (we did) and it definitely is an adventure, that is a fact, but moving because of a "better society" could leave you disappointed when you really find no difference at that macro level.

I actually find society worse here. Maybe this is an Adelaide thing though as a guy I work with just moved from nsw and says he is struggling with how negative everyone is in Adelaide.

I would really question all three of your reasons for wanting to come. Lifestyle is the only one which might be better, but that is what you make of it.

Have you visited Australia before?

Archived