Tax back

Stef1988

I am on a 457 holiday visa and want to claim my tax back in may 2014 and was wondering does anyone know how much tax I should be getting back off a holiday visa because I hearing different things of I should get all back 80% 50% 10% does anyone know how much I should get please

I am on a 457 holiday visa and want to claim my tax back in may 2014 and was wondering does anyone know how much tax I should be getting back off a holiday visa because I hearing different things of I should get all back 80% 50% 10% does anyone know how much I should get please

We really cannot tell you how much tax refund you will receive, because we do not know how much tax you paid or indeed your salary.. It may be nothing, or it may be a few thousand.... It totally depends on whether you have paid too much tax.

For example, I paid too much tax in the last financial year because I changed jobs and went onto a higher salary and thus was charged at a higher tax rate for the rest of the year. That meant I received a few thousand back in my tax return.

Next year it is likely to only be a few hundred, as I can claim for certain expenses connected to my profession.

Do they go off a percentage or anything do you know I am working In the mines out here and at the end of the year I would have payed 43000 in tax and that is not good :( have you heard of anybody getting most of there tax back or is that just rumours

You may get something back depends on what you can claim for in your tax return but unfortunately high wages = high tax! I dont know how you stand on your visa but if you earn over $88,000 as a single person and dont have private health care you get hit with a medicare levy surcharge at tax time.

A lot of people on WHV's do get some tax back because they don't work for the whole year. They might only work for 6 months but have been taxed as if they had worked for the whole year, so get some of it back. There's no rule that says everyone on a WHV will get tax back. If you paid too much, you'll get the excess back. If you paid the correct amount of tax, you won't.

In your case, as you've had two back-to-back six month jobs, unless you've had some legitimate expense deductions or your employer has made a mistake with your tax, I wouldn't be expecting much of a refund.

But I have done 6 months with one company and now doing 6 months with another so it works out to be that price

Worked a year, paid tax. I cannot see any reason why you would get a tax refund, maybe something around the periphery if your earnings fell into two tax years and you paid more in the higher bracket than you needed to, but can't think of any other reason.

I don't know why there is this myth that WHV don't pay tax. They do and often pay more tax than others for the same stint of work if they cannot demonstrate tax residency.

Hello Stef1988.

Your tax residency in Australia is a major factor here - non residents pay a lot more tax on Aus source income than do residents.

If you have been staying in one location for an extended period it may well be reasonable to claim you have been a tax resident.

I can't tell from the details provided whether you are being taxed under PAYG as a resident or as a non-resident. If your wages are being taxed as a non-resident but you can reasonably self assess yourself as a tax resident a sizeable tax refund might be on the way.

Let me know if you would like to progress this formally - http://www.gmtax.com.au/ - we're a fixed fee/fee agreed up front firm of registered tax agents, and can assist with the refund of your superannuation when you depart Australia as well.

Best regards.

Archived