The Philippines disaster

bunbury61

It goes without saying that both Australia and the U.K are doing their bit ....each have pledged over $30 million ....and have people on the ground , and aid on the way , at the forefront as usual

But what about China ? ......the worlds new power broker has pledged $200, 000 ......disgraceful

I`ve read that the reason is a territorial dispute between China and the Philippines. Donation is a voluntary thing, nobody can make them give more but it`s strange considering how much they contributed in the past for disaster help in different countries.

I`ve read that the reason is a territorial dispute between China and the Philippines. Donation is a voluntary thing, nobody can make them give more but it`s strange considering how much they contributed in the past for disaster help in different countries.

In two words Spatley Islands. Both nations along with others claim them and lately there was sabre rattling.

My neighbour is Filipino and she was over yesterday but fortunately her family were not affected by the disaster, as she said good they will not want more money, seemingly they are not backward in asking her for money even though they are doing find Filipino style.

I must admit I have not given any money and you know why, because I have done so in the past and then all I get for months and years and am still getting letters from the charities requesting money,their postage, stationery and admin swallowed my money up long ago. So no more.

My neighbour is Filipino and she was over yesterday but fortunately her family were not affected by the disaster, as she said good they will not want more money, seemingly they are not backward in asking her for money even though they are doing find Filipino style.

I must admit I have not given any money and you know why, because I have done so in the past and then all I get for months and years and am still getting letters from the charities requesting money,their postage, stationery and admin swallowed my money up long ago. So no more.

Must admit I'm not a fan in general of NGO's witnessing how they live in a few developing world countries. Rushing about in 4 wheel drives, lazily sitting around have long breakfasts in expensive eating houses. Getting paid in US dollars and often arrogant to boot. Lot's of other things they get up to as well as could be well imagined. Doesn't reflect well on those that go to these countries to make a difference.

I tend to try and help out at source in a very small but hopefully meaningful way ....

we get the same but with a free pen..........

Our church is collecting money which will go straight to our missionaries over there who are directly in touch with victims. We will by-pass the big welfare agencies which, I am sorry to say, are not always trustworthy. After the tsunami and what happened to our donations then- I think it is the right way to go.

Archived