Concerned...

Sarahelle

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted here but I've been pondering on one day returning to the UK to live and was looking into how easy it would be. I've been a bit out of touch with goings on there so I was kind of freaked out to discover that UK Immigration have made it now nearly impossible for people with Australian (or any other nationality) partners, to return to live.

I believe I would have to have either secured a job earning 18-19K or else have savings of 65K. Both of which are impossible for me as I've just had a baby, and as for the savings, forget it! My fiance doesn't have any relations of UK ancestry either.

Is any one else rather alarmed by this? My dreams of one day returning to the UK to live have been shattered and I hate to say it, but I now feel trapped in Australia. Don't get me wrong, I like living here but now I feel I can never go home.

Your opinions on this would be welcomed.

Sarah xx

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted here but I've been pondering on one day returning to the UK to live and was looking into how easy it would be. I've been a bit out of touch with goings on there so I was kind of freaked out to discover that UK Immigration have made it now nearly impossible for people with Australian (or any other nationality) to return to live.

I believe I would have to have either secured a job earning 18-19K or else have savings of 65K. Both of which are impossible for me as I've just had a baby, and as for the savings, forget it! My fiance doesn't have any relations of UK ancestry either.

Is any one else rather alarmed by this? My dreams of one day returning to the UK to live have been shattered and I hate to say it, but I now feel trapped in Australia. Don't get me wrong, I like living here but now I feel I can never go home.

Sarah xx

We in the same boat as you my hubby is English desperate to return to England after 30 years living in Australia. Sadly we thought it would be easy for me to get a visa to live there however we have found out everything you have said is correct. I too like your fiance don't have any U.K. ancestry. So we are madly trying work our way to getting there. He too like you feels trapped here. I feel so bad for him at the moment that is seems it's me that's holding him here i know i shouldn't but i do. Seems a rather shabby way to treat citizens of the commonwealth to me but hey it was it is. Good luck with your quest to return. xx

If you are UK citizen you can come and go as you please. I am a bit bewildered as to what you have found out that says otherwise

Yes she can but her fiance can't as he's Australian and as they have just had a child she won't go without her fiance.

You have said you dream of returning one day ... so obviously no immediate rush. In this case do you not think you will ever save up a little nest egg for yourselves by then? They won't take it off you, it is not a visa fee, it is just some backing.

And I am not commenting on whether I agree with the policy or otherwise, just trying to be practical given that there is this policy..

Thanks guys. Yes, I guess we'll have to start saving. The real irony of it is that my partner's ex-wife was English, he lived in the UK for 8 years and had indefinite leave to remain but because we haven't been able to make it back to the UK since March 2011, it has since expired as you have to return every 2 years for it to be valid! I'm so kicking myself that we let it lapse! Like you guys Chicken66, it just never occurred to me that it would be any more difficult than getting a spouse visa! All I can hope is that so many people complain about it they change the rules again. I really never saw myself living my entire life here and since the baby arrived, I seem to get more and more homesick every day. I will be getting our daughter dual citizenship for sure. I can understand why they have done it, but they could at least be a little more lenient to couples who have been together for a number of years and have children.

Same to you, good luck with everything, I feel so bad for you guys. Let's hope something comes along xx

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted here but I've been pondering on one day returning to the UK to live and was looking into how easy it would be. I've been a bit out of touch with goings on there so I was kind of freaked out to discover that UK Immigration have made it now nearly impossible for people with Australian (or any other nationality) partners, to return to live.

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah

There is a way of getting your partner to the UK. Read this BBC article which explains a loophole in the UK law which means that you don't have to meet the minimum income/saving threshold if you first work for 3 months in another EU country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029195

Fortunately, for us, my Aussie husband took UK citizenship when we lived there so we don't have the same problem as you. I am now eligible to apply for Australian citizenship which I intend to do soon so that our family (we have 3 kids) all have the same residency rights. I have no burning desire to be Australian but would like to be able to choose to live where my kids have the right to live!

I think it is an abuse of human rights to not let a citizen bring their husband or wife to live in the same country. Hopefully someone will take the law to the European Court of Human Rights some day soon.

All the best!

Lucy

Hi Sarah

There is a way of getting your partner to the UK. Read this BBC article which explains a loophole in the UK law which means that you don't have to meet the minimum income/saving threshold if you first work for 3 months in another EU country.

Fortunately, for us, my Aussie husband took UK citizenship when we lived there so we don't have the same problem as you. I am now eligible to apply for Australian citizenship which I intend to do soon so that our family (we have 3 kids) all have the same residency rights. I have no burning desire to be Australian but would like to be able to choose to live where my kids have the right to live!

I think it is an abuse of human rights to not let a citizen bring their husband or wife to live in the same country. Hopefully someone will take the law to the European Court of Human Rights some day soon.

All the best!

Lucy

Could this be used to get round the requirements for 3 years residency prior to application to a UK university as a domestic student?

Could this be used to get round the requirements for 3 years residency prior to application to a UK university as a domestic student?

Somehow I doubt it. You would have to trawl through the relevant UK and Euro legislation on home students to see if there is a similar loophole. I'm not even sure where the 3 year rule is enacted in statute but I guess it must be somewhere.

Also does a European student count as a "domestic" student in a UK University? I would think not, which would mean this particular route wouldn't work, being based on the fact of someone being a European citizen and Britain being part of Europe, so having a right to live in any part of Europe. As even the rules between English and Scottish universities differ, I would think being a European citizen wouldn't mean you are allowed to be counted as a 'local' in terms of whether you are a domestic or overseas student in England. Just guessing though..

Hi Sarah

All the best!

Lucy

I was going to mention this too! I remember reading about it when my English friend and his Armenian wife were thinking of going back there to live. He has since got a job in Kazakhstan so he won't have to worry about it for a while (but one day he will...). Fancy a stint in the south of france?

I was going to mention this too! I remember reading about it when my English friend and his Armenian wife were thinking of going back there to live. He has since got a job in Kazakhstan so he won't have to worry about it for a while (but one day he will...). Fancy a stint in the south of france?

Wouldn't there still be an issue getting a visa to work in Europe?? How easy would that be to get??

There is a legal challenge gone through the courts and chances are some changes are going to be made but as to when and how much, who knows. It could be the amount is brought down or that the financial aspect won't be a deal breaker.

Guest guest41161
Wouldn't there still be an issue getting a visa to work in Europe?? How easy would that be to get??

No, as an EU passport holder you are entitled to live and work anywhere in the EU, and take your partner with you. The legislation which makes a mockery of this is about returning to your home country, then a spouse visa is required. It's mental that you can go live anywhere in Europe with your partner, apart from your home country.

No, as an EU passport holder you are entitled to live and work anywhere in the EU, and take your partner with you. The legislation which makes a mockery of this is about returning to your home country, then a spouse visa is required. It's mental that you can go live anywhere in Europe with your partner, apart from your home country.

Except Croatia.

The Tory government believe that any non-EU foreigner married to a Brit is living in a sham marraige, no matter how long they have been together. Watch out if they take the country out of the EU, it will only get worse for those married to EU citizens.

Somehow I doubt it. You would have to trawl through the relevant UK and Euro legislation on home students to see if there is a similar loophole. I'm not even sure where the 3 year rule is enacted in statute but I guess it must be somewhere.

My OH has just looked at applying and was asked 'have you been a resident of the UK/EU for 3 years' so i would assume not.

Archived