Skilled Nomination subclass 190 sponsorship and commitment

dheerajkhanna

Hi All,

I have got my PR sponsored through Western Australia. I have been applying for jobs for last 6 months and nothing is materializing. I am into IT with around 15 year of technical experience. Incidentally I have found an opening in NSW in my current organization and applied for it. They have selected me and found the perfect match.

I understand that I have signed up a contract with WA State for staying and working there for 2 years. Unfortunately nothing is materializing and this opportunity is coming on my way. I like to know the implications on my PR (or any other unknown) if I pursue this NSW opportunity.

Appreciate experts suggestions on it to decide the next steps.

Thanks a lot in advance.

DK

Note - I was trying to search this question in existing forums and could not find it hence decided to post it.

Lots of people discuss that on here. ..some have said they contacted the sponsoring state and explained situation and they agreed they could move elsewhere...other ppl state it is not a legal obligation but moral and so you can work wherever you like. .others say you don't need to spend the first 2 years in sponsoring state so you could plan to go a couple of years down the line. ..some say the only implication may be if you want to apply for citizenship. .others say it doesn't make a difference....I dnt know the right answer just giving you some answers I have read here...I personally would contact sponsoring state and explain

This topic has been discussed many many times before.

Shortly, the commitment to stay in a sponsoring state is a moral, not a legal obligation and therefore has no impact on visa or future citizenship application.

If you really want to (although as I mentioned before it is not needed for anything, just for yourself) you can email WA and ask them to release you from the commitment, I am pretty sure that after 6 months of job search they will advise you to move to NSW and take a job.

Thanks xxlornaxx. Let me try writing to WA also. The whole point is that it becomes deadlock situation. I would try but I am thinking if WA State does not give me waiver than I can not pursue this NSW opportunity too and I will keep waiting. I am trying to think how do I make it work? Personally speaking I dont have challenge in WA or NSW but need a job to earn too.

Thanks xxlornaxx. Let me try writing to WA also. The whole point is that it becomes deadlock situation. I would try but I am thinking if WA State does not give me waiver than I can not pursue this NSW opportunity too and I will keep waiting. I am trying to think how do I make it work? Personally speaking I dont have challenge in WA or NSW but need a job to earn too.

If you can demonstrate that you have tried really hard but have been unsuccessful in securing a job in WA, I don't think they would have any issues in letting you go. However it's important to note that WA may expect you to "live" in WA whilst you look for jobs, and based on what you've described, I guess you're still overseas and have not even set foot in WA?

I was in a similar situation as my employer overseas had offered me a transfer to Melbourne and that would have been the perfect thing for me as I have family in Melbourne. But I turned it down and moved to WA because I knew there was an obligation to be fulfilled.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you go.

Cheers

Edited by Catalyst2012

Dear
dheerajkhanna and Catalyst2012,

Please keep us know your updated situation or the outcome of the apply to WA for a release. that will be a good help.

I'm not quite sure how an update on my situation would help since I've been living and working in WA for the last 18 months, and I've had no experience with requesting a release from the sponsorship obligation.

I remember having come across a thread on this forum where someone had requested a release within a month of arriving in WA and that person was asked to try looking for a job for at least an year after which the request would be considered.

Having said that, the market is not at it's very best at the moment, and if you have compelling reasons to move, I don't think the state would have any problems. But yes, it's reasonable for them to expect people to at least try moving to the state and looking for jobs here instead of giving up within a month or two (Just my $0.02).

Cheers

Thanks for the information. Looking for job for at least 1 year then apply for a release is a bit problem. Thanks anyway.

I'm not quite sure how an update on my situation would help since I've been living and working in WA for the last 18 months, and I've had no experience with requesting a release from the sponsorship obligation.

I remember having come across a thread on this forum where someone had requested a release within a month of arriving in WA and that person was asked to try looking for a job for at least an year after which the request would be considered.

Having said that, the market is not at it's very best at the moment, and if you have compelling reasons to move, I don't think the state would have any problems. But yes, it's reasonable for them to expect people to at least try moving to the state and looking for jobs here instead of giving up within a month or two (Just my $0.02).

Cheers

Hi Catalyst2012,

Thanks for your response & valuable information. By any chance do you know the real implication if anyone is not able to fulfill obligation. I really want to fulfill obligation and would like to know risk involved on other side. I am hoping somebody who has gone through this experience may come forward for advise.

Hi Catalyst2012,

Thanks for your response & valuable information. By any chance do you know the real implication if anyone is not able to fulfill obligation. I really want to fulfill obligation and would like to know risk involved on other side. I am hoping somebody who has gone through this experience may come forward for advise.

Hi Catalyst2012,

As far as I know, there are no legal implications (yet) of not fulfilling the obligation. Have a look at post number 7 on this thread :

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/198522-has-anyone-got-citizenship-approved-without-completing-state-sponsorship-commitment.html

I have seen a few posts on other forums as well, where people have claimed to have contacted the DIBP to confirm whether non fulfillment of the obligation would lead to denial of citizenship, and they've been told that as long as they satisfy the general residence requirement, they're eligible to apply for citizenship.

If in doubt, give the DIBP a call, and see how you go.

Cheers

• 6 months later...