judyq

We moved here in May 2008. It was my idea and I had talked about it since I was about 15! I was 38 when we got here. My dad was in bad health, but the wife, two teenage boys and I had his full blessing to come over here. His biggest regret was that he didn't when he had chance. In September 2008 he died.

We had just got our lives here sorted. Jobs, rental, schools etc. We had a little bit of money left in the bank, enough for 1 flight back. The wife insisted I go, but I couldn't. All I could hear in my head was his voice saying, "don't be so bloody stupid. Waste of money to watch a box go in the ground. You have your family to look after now."

I understand for everyone it is different, but the way I have always seen it is, that our parents have had their time and did what they needed to do for us, but there comes a time when we need to do whats best for us and our children and not live in our parents pockets. My dad was a great believer in that and that has help me with all the traumer of moving etc.

All the best, take care and do what is right for you and your family.

Good luck

That's exactly how my parents attitudes are, no emotional blackmail only encouragement to live our life's (not theirs), and no good spending money on the dead, of course we would go back now as we are financially secure, but I would not make judgement on the decision that any ones makes on this point.

Wouldn't be making the move just for the potential future for the kids - nothing inherently better there just another first world country and the kids will probably nick off once they are old enough anyway. Skype is a waste of time IMHO and just serves to exacerbate everybody's agony. In some ways out of sight and mind is a lot easier to cope with!

100% with you Quoll....Skype...waste of time in my mind....just reminds you even more what/who you are missing cos not only do you hear their words like you would in a letter but you get to see them and its a reminder that we cant be with them.

Tough situation though Judyq...does your mother in law know her son is unhappy and depressed? if so, surely she would allow him to move back and pay her back from oz...as long as she gets the money back?

I would make a plan to re-enter aus.. at the last possible time, im talking days before your visa expires. From that date work back to now and work out how many weeks/months you have, then work out a sum on money you would need to get back to aus....divide that by number of months and you need to save that (easier said than done) per month......just an idea.

Personally as a way to getting back quicker/cheaper I would look at moving just with clothes and personal belongings, saves more costs on shipping also, there are fully furnished places about and its surprising what you can make do with until the money from aus jobs comes in.

Whatever you decide make sure its whats best for you, there is not right or wrong answer.

Enjoy the UK at christmas, one thing we are struggling with here as we approach our first australian christmas.

Dan

My case is the opposite to you Judyq.... I regret moving back to Australia... Ah well, we are all different... All the best, I hope you and your family get what you want...

I do not know your situation, but don't look at regretting the move back to oz as you will have grown, learnt and become stronger I'm sure.

Its all character building!:biggrin:

Archived