Teaching job secured... now to start the house hunt

wolvesaussie

Just an update to give teachers some heart as I saw a lot of negative stuff when we were researching teaching in Australia. My Girlfriend got a full time permanent Science Teaching job (Years 7-9) yesterday (they called her on a sunday). This is how we did it...

Registered with VIT (Victorian Teaching) while in the UK

She finished up teaching in July in UK and came out in August. Her UK school rejected the idea of letting her have a career break saying that it was so hard to attract good science teachers if they had to offer a job only for a year it would make it hard for the school. They said they would have her back tho if at all possible if she was to return to the UK if she couldnt settle in Aus.

I had been around to schools (I arrived 4 weeks earlier) offering her services as a volenteer

We approached Cover teaching agencies, they said if we lived inner suburbs there would be lots of work (and we met someone doing relief inner suburbs who confirmed this, he was gettting 4-5 days a week every week).. Because we lived outter suburbs and she couldnt drive they said there would be limited opportunities for cover teaching.

She started working 2 days a week for free in two different schools, one private and one state. This lead to a couple of days CRT relieve when those schools have someone call in sick.

All the jobs start landing in August, there seems to be loads and loads and loads of Science jobs, some people say many of these are not real jobs, as there is someone in post already.. My girlfriend applied for 55 jobs between August and yesterday.

She had 5 interviews , she nearly got a VCE Chemistry job but missed out as she hadnt taught Chemistry to A Level (or VCE).

Many of the jobs are science/maths, I would say of those 55 she applied for only 15 were straight science jobs, that was a big problem for her as she didnt have maths experience.... well we are presuming this is why she only got 5 interviews from 55 (tho she might get more calls this week to up that number).

She is really please anyway, the school is a private school which looks like something out of harry potter.

Now its time to go house hunting, to find a place to rent.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, glad your girlfriend has finally secured a job, permanent as well! It's good to hear that there is cover teaching work as I'll be coming over next August and will be looking to do this while I apply for positions. Good luck to your girlfriend, I hope she enjoys her new school!

Just an update to give teachers some heart as I saw a lot of negative stuff when we were researching teaching in Australia. My Girlfriend got a full time permanent Science Teaching job (Years 7-9) yesterday (they called her on a sunday). This is how we did it...

Registered with VIT (Victorian Teaching) while in the UK

She finished up teaching in July in UK and came out in August. Her UK school rejected the idea of letting her have a career break saying that it was so hard to attract good science teachers if they had to offer a job only for a year it would make it hard for the school. They said they would have her back tho if at all possible if she was to return to the UK if she couldnt settle in Aus.

I had been around to schools (I arrived 4 weeks earlier) offering her services as a volenteer

We approached Cover teaching agencies, they said if we lived inner suburbs there would be lots of work (and we met someone doing relief inner suburbs who confirmed this, he was gettting 4-5 days a week every week).. Because we lived outter suburbs and she couldnt drive they said there would be limited opportunities for cover teaching.

She started working 2 days a week for free in two different schools, one private and one state. This lead to a couple of days CRT relieve when those schools have someone call in sick.

All the jobs start landing in August, there seems to be loads and loads and loads of Science jobs, some people say many of these are not real jobs, as there is someone in post already.. My girlfriend applied for 55 jobs between August and yesterday.

She had 5 interviews , she nearly got a VCE Chemistry job but missed out as she hadnt taught Chemistry to A Level (or VCE).

Many of the jobs are science/maths, I would say of those 55 she applied for only 15 were straight science jobs, that was a big problem for her as she didnt have maths experience.... well we are presuming this is why she only got 5 interviews from 55 (tho she might get more calls this week to up that number).

She is really please anyway, the school is a private school which looks like something out of harry potter.

Now its time to go house hunting, to find a place to rent.

That's great news! Really pleased for her as it did sound like she'd had a crap time with her UK school.

I finish teaching on 20th December - on the count down now!

I start my new job in January - we're moving out on January 17th! The school has said we can stay at their boarding house until the pupils start back at the end of January - we'll be hitting the road running to secure a house to rent and get our son into Mount Waverly school!

I totally agree that there has been too many negative posts about securing a job. Having VIT is a must, along with determination. The teaching agency that I had signed up for didn't help me secure this job so I would recommend teachers applying themselves!

thanks for the good wishes... one further update, 3 more interviews were offered last week from that big batch of applications she made. I found it quiet funny that one of the schools got quiet annoyed on the phone apparently when she said she had a job, apparently its good manners to call the school and withdraw your application when you are offered a job elsewhere... this is coming from schools, many of which dont bother to feed back anything from your application

Archived