489 restrictions

Smurtonio

Hi everyone,

I am currently going through the visa application process for a skilled migration visa as a plumber, I am finding the IELTS rather hard, to be honest and may have to consider the 489 visa for me and my family.

What I would like to know is, if we moved to Mandurah or another regional area and I struggled to find plumbing work, would I be allowed to travel into Perth to find work or would I have to stay in the regional area and risk not finding work.

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I am currently going through the visa application process for a skilled migration visa as a plumber, I am finding the IELTS rather hard, to be honest and may have to consider the 489 visa for me and my family.

What I would like to know is, if we moved to Mandurah or another regional area and I struggled to find plumbing work, would I be allowed to travel into Perth to find work or would I have to stay in the regional area and risk not finding work.

Thank you.

Definitely not, that would mean there is no difference between a 489 and a 190. You need to live and work in regional areas (as designated) for this visa.

You would be able to move and work in Perth if you can prove that there is no work in ANY of the regional areas of WA, you will need permission from the state to to do this and still be able to apply for your PR after the 4 year period. If you go ahead without consent you run the possibility of being removed from the country. I'm on a 489 and I wanted to jump state, this was going to cost a small fortune with no guarantee of a PR at the end.

DO NOT GO FOR THE 489 unless you really have to, keep trying for the 190 even if you have to do the IELTS 50 times, this will still work out cheaper than doing your 489 then applying for your 887 PR after the 4 year period.

good luck.

No. You must work in the regional area for the designated period. However, the up side is there is a current boom in house building in mandurah

Thank you for your reply, I have read so many post of plumbers claiming they can not find work that I was begging to wonder why they would be issuing visas to families if they stood the risk of not being able to survive.

Thank you for your reply, I have read so many post of plumbers claiming they can not find work that I was begging to wonder why they would be issuing visas to families if they stood the risk of not being able to survive.

The amount of work available is not really linked to the list available for visas - only very losely. So you must never assume that because your job is on the list, there is actual demand for your work

You would be able to move and work in Perth if you can prove that there is no work in ANY of the regional areas of WA, you will need permission from the state to to do this and still be able to apply for your PR after the 4 year period. If you go ahead without consent you run the possibility of being removed from the country. I'm on a 489 and I wanted to jump state, this was going to cost a small fortune with no guarantee of a PR at the end.

good luck.

I am sure this is not correct. It is possible to move to another state regional area on the 489, but living and working in Perth on a state sponsored 489 is not permitted and it is not possible to get permission from the state to do this. The visa is granted by the federal government, not the state and the state cannot over ride the conditions of this visa.

@ Rupert, my visa is 489 with state sponsorship, I have to request permission to get out of my state sponsorship from SA. Yes the federal government does issue the visa but there are conditions attached by the state. Been down that road of enquiry already hence that's one of the many reasons we are coming home.

@ Rupert, my visa is 489 with state sponsorship, I have to request permission to get out of my state sponsorship from SA. Yes the federal government does issue the visa but there are conditions attached by the state. Been down that road of enquiry already hence that's one of the many reasons we are coming home.

State may have nominated you, but is not able to place any conditions on your federal law issued visa. You can freely move outside the regional area on a 489 visa, but as it is provisional you won't be able to make it permanent (by not meeting the regional living requirement).

Archived