Child Care and Family Allowance

Generalis

Can anyone tell me how much is family allowance or equivalent in oz for 2 children? Also do they have anything similar to working tax credits over there to get help with childcare. I'm asking as think we will be paying about $2k per month? 1 child full time and one child after school. Can anyone tell me if my figures are about right for childcare. Looking to head to Perth .... I think

Thanks all

Sam

Guest BullcreekBob
Can anyone tell me how much is family allowance or equivalent in oz for 2 children? Also do they have anything similar to working tax credits over there to get help with childcare. I'm asking as think we will be paying about $2k per month? 1 child full time and one child after school. Can anyone tell me if my figures are about right for childcare. Looking to head to Perth .... I think

Thanks all

Sam

G'day Sam

To answer your questions we would need the following information

1) your visa type and subclass

2) your likely annual income in Aus

3) your partners likely annual income in Aus or his previous years income

4) the ages of your kids

Guest BullcreekBob

G'day Sam

The 175 is a permanent visa therefore you are eligible for family tax benefits subject to the income tests applied.

Family Tax Benefit - Part A has a "base rate" of $1,890.70 pa for each child under 18 with a "maximum rate" of rate of $4,460.30 for each child under 13. For the purposes of the income test, we will assume your "Family Income" to be $110,000

The maximum family income to qualify for the full rate of FTBA is only $41,318 beyond which the amount is reduced by 20c for each dollar earned until the amount is reduced to the base amount. Your family of $110,000 is greater than the $104,062 (by $5,938) which is the point at which the maximum rate cuts out (for 2 children under 13). The income test for the base rate is different, with you losing 30 cents for each dollar earned about $104,062. So what this means is your FTBA entitlement may be $1,890.70 * 2 - (0.30 * $5,938) which is $2,000 per year.

Family Tax Benefit - Part B is based on the age of the youngest child. For a child under 5 it is a maximum $3,584.30. There is a different income test based only on the income of the carer or secondary income earner. It is reduced by 20c for each dollar earned above $4,380 and completely cuts out at $22,302. Your $45K is more than that so you will get no FTBB

These figures are derived from information on the Centrelink site, see

Customer Services Online - Header - A to Z

Guest ~mia-childs~

But you should be eligible for child care benefit (I think - I'm not familiar with visa types yet).

A small amount straight to the child care centre each week and 30% back at the end of the year.

The weekly amount isn't much at a high income, but its better than a kick in the head.

There are stories that the end-of-year 30% is going to increase to 50%.

Try here:

How much Child Care Benefit do I get?

(Hi guys, first post :))

Archived