The Good, The Bad, The Ugly of Perth

Guest The Pom Queen

Ugh, I would have been gutted to see that if I was the previous owner!

Me too, but it seems to happen a lot in Perth. Maybe they got the right price and just moved on. People who bought it own some sort of scented candle business and are millionaires so I don't think money was an issue.

There was a huge round house just outside Hillary's Marina. It was so big that it looked like it could have been a hotel Not that old either I remember it being built around 1998 or so. Was up for sale for ages then when whoever bought it, demolished it and put up another huge mansion but different design. There is certainly a lot of money swilling around Perth. Problem is we don't seem to have much of it.:wink:

Remember the Blue House near Scarborough? A guy bought a fairly crappy looking place, spent loads on it painted it blue and it won a few design awards. Had a spread in the West Australian years ago and had some pictures of the inside and views from the roof terrace. Done a really good job of doing an old place up and shows it can be done. I always liked it but some people hated it. There are a couple of places in Scarborough that have been left to go to rack and ruin that could be gorgeous, if only I had the money.

Blue house was bought by developers and demolished and turned into some expensive to rent holiday apartments I wouldn't pay $100 a night to stay at. I'm sure a few people will know where I mean. I think it looks butt ugly now.

8DmssFd44vTz0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Here's the apartments that are on the site now. Much preferred the old house.

There's a picture of the blue house in this link if anyone's interested. Some nice architecture from around the world too.

http://www.coloursociety.org.au/upfiles/csa/cont/wa/palette_of_place.pdf

Edited by Paul1Perth
photo added

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have got to be kidding me? Yes they have the crappy 2 storey concrete shitty mansions in Dalkieth (again all same design but slightly different) but they don't really compare to the proper stone built detached houses or even the newer large homes in the UK. Actually metro area has the most varied properties here its is when you leave those areas they all look the same do they not? Freo has a bit of character with the older type buildings I agree which I why I like it there but that is a very small part of the city.

I grew up in a 2 story 3 split house in the southern hills, big verandas and balcony, big block of land. Almost Spanish in style.

I then moved to a old style Australian (almost 'colonial') house in Dalkeith. Single story, small house but big garden.

My parents are still in those two places.

When we arrived (20 years later) we were in a new apartment near the city, that was all white walls, steel and glass.

I now live in a new house in the eastern suburbs, bigger house house, high ceilings, small garden and very modern.

Friends live in a mixture of modern terraced houses, sprawling bungalows, modern apartments or traditional / colonial housing.

Edited by Bibbs

Oh you're talking about Butler.:rolleyes: Thought you were meaning the whole of Perth. Cinema room and 4 beds and you still find something to complain about. Most people would give their right arm to have a cinema room and maybe a swimming pool, not that it would be much use in the UK I know. Have a look round Iluka, Northshore, West Coast Highway and the "estates" a bit further in and you don't see 2 houses the same.

I dont live in Butler nor Baldivis for that matter. I prefer the South metro area close to Freemantle myself to the North apart from the western burbs which are nice but having over a million dollar mortgage at the peak of the market appeals to me even less than living in Butler.

• 4 weeks later...