Self Employed Start-up

seasea

Hi,

I'm in the very early stages of investigating a move to Australia, so please excuse my ignorance!

Can anybody tell me if I would be allowed to setup a business in Australia without a PR visa? Or whether there are any restrictions for immigrants starting their own business?

I am a photographer and I want to setup a photography studio when I arrive.

Also, how comparable is the taxation system? For example, do businesses have to register for GST when they turnover a certain amount? Are there taxes/rates or other expenses that I should account for that I wouldn't know about?

Can anybody recommend any good resources for setting up a business in Australia?

Thanks in advance.

Can anybody tell me if I would be allowed to setup a business in Australia without a PR visa? Or whether there are any restrictions for immigrants starting their own business?

I don't believe you have to have PR. I recall reading that someone who was a partner on a 457 visa (ie. very temporary) was able to do so. However you will need some sort of visa in order to live here. What visa will you have if you don't have PR?

Also, how comparable is the taxation system? For example, do businesses have to register for GST when they turnover a certain amount? Are there taxes/rates or other expenses that I should account for that I wouldn't know about?

Businesses have to register for GST when their turnover reaches $75k a year. Other costs and taxes will depend on how you're set up - whether you're a limited company or sole trader. Don't know how it compares to the UK.

http://www.business.gov.au/Howtoguides/startingabusiness/Pages/default.aspx

If you are setting up a business ,you will have to regester this, it is compulsory for all business to regester for GST, you will have to regester and pay for workers comp and also pay into a super fund this is for all Pty ltd companies, completely different rules if you are a sole trader.

Starting up a small photography or other business is not going to be a visa route. Business visas require an extensive track record of running a business including a substantial past turnover, I cannot remember how much but I think at least $500,000 per year if not more. Generally not realistic for the sole trader.

If you are setting up a business ,you will have to regester this, it is compulsory for all business to regester for GST, you will have to regester and pay for workers comp and also pay into a super fund this is for all Pty ltd companies, completely different rules if you are a sole trader.

No it's not. It is compulsory to register for an ABN but you don't have to register for GST unless your turnover is over a certain amount. We deal with plenty of companies and individuals who have an ABN but who are not registered for GST where I work.

Starting up a small photography or other business is not going to be a visa route. Business visas require an extensive track record of running a business including a substantial past turnover, I cannot remember how much but I think at least $500,000 per year if not more. Generally not realistic for the sole trader.

Hi Rupert do you have any suggestions for a more realistic route for a sole trader that could help??

Guest Guest 47403
The skilled route was my first thought. I score enough points currently to get a visa. I plan to get a job, set up shop and build the business part time. I am curious to know whether this was allowed.

If you qualify and obtain a PR visa you do not HAVE to take up that occupation on arrival you can choose to do what ever you wish, it is totally your decision.

If you qualify and obtain a PR visa you do not HAVE to take up that occupation on arrival you can choose to do what ever you wish, it is totally your decision.

I have heard this and it is clearly good to have options. First things first - get a visa!:D

NicF , if you are a sole trader working on a ABN you are correct, if you register a business pty ltd it is compulsory ,

Do you have a link for this? The only thing I can find on the ATO implies that it is optional if the turnover is less than $75,000 but doesn't specifically mention pty ltd companies. It's an area of interest and potential future study for me, hence the query.

ETA it does mention you have to register if your business provides travel though:err:

Archived