New to Redland Bay!

debbio

• 2 months later...
Hi guys...

So we made it to Brisbane and are currently in mount cotton... looking to rent around victoria point st the moment.

Anyone else in the area??? :biggrin:

Looking at Redland Bay as a possible location to move to later this year. What are people's views of the area?

Looking at Redland Bay as a possible location to move to later this year. What are people's views of the area?

Nice place, but quite far out of the City. Seems to be very popular with expats. Depend's what you are looking for? bit quiet for my taste.

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived close to Victoria Point for a couple of years now. It's like a big country town. Lots of Brits, South Africans, NZ's and "Blow Ins" from other parts of the country live in the Bayside area. It is a distance from the city but an easy commute to Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the airport. House prices are also affordable. I actually really like living here. So many people are new to the area that it is easy to meet new friends. I believe that its a healthy place to bring up kids. Not the most sophisticated of places....but hey this is Queensland, Australia! It grows on you!

We lived in Victoria point when we 1st arrived, then we built our own house up in Thornlands, and have now just bought a down sizer back in Victoria point, its a great area with the city and goldcoast easy accessible, the airport is only 30-35 mins away and a very easy drive, far out is only relevant if you work or regularly travel far in!

It has excellent shops, cafe's restaurants, cinema's, though the water front really only looks good when the tide is in, though a cheap ferry across to Coochie gets you to a half decent beach, and a longer ferry over to Stradie is also worth it especially in whale season.

Enjoy life.

Keith.

Tis true is it has a way of growing on you :) Have to admit I wasn't too keen on the area at first, but I love it now! Its central to everything and has everything you need on your door step for day to day living :) Good luck with the move! :D

Good if you like fishing as next to Moreton Bay with easy access to all the islands. As it is near the sea the topography is a bit flat and uninspiring and the quiet, low density spread out nature of the place adds to the sleepy feel, though some centres are building up a little. In the past had a bit of a mixed reputation being a cheap out of the way place but a lot of new migrants so somewhat improved now. It has some beautiful mature tree lined streets with nice old houses near some of the busier centres like Cleveland but a lot of it is just spread out car bound modern housing estates. Driving around some of the many long samey back roads in the area might send me to sleep if I wasn't so lost :)

It is a long way from all the events and activities in Brisbane so it is almost like living in a separate town which will suit some but not others who prefer a more urban city life. Good for people who like the quiet home life. Might provide a challenge to get home from brisbane city for childcare pickups etc if both need to work in the city...not that many part time jobs available locally for parents of young children. I would think being near the train line would be a good idea to keep more options open.

The coast provides some nice riding paths and bbq/picnic spots with bay breezes and relaxing outlooks. The bay islands like Stradbroke and Moreton are fab and getting your own boat really takes full advantage of living there.

I think it is a place where you really need to work out what your priorities are and pick a suitable spot. Living in the middle of Cleveland town near the train, cafes, markets etc might be totally different to living down the end of Redland shire surrounded by bushland and you wouldn't want to get it wrong.

It's the Aussies who like to fish, they would throw a line in a puddle after rain:tongue:, it's also not that flat either, a 5min drive to the top of Thornlands gives you views out to the bay and Islands (I know because I live there), 10min gets you to Mount Cotton with a more sweeping panorama.

We are something like a 40min non rush hour drive to the city (southbank area), over 1hr 20min if we went by train from Cleveland, we have no problem going into the city for special events or even walks along the river. I work in construction so my place of work is not constant, but when I was in UK anywhere within 1hr drive was considered near home, so the 40min to Brisbane is a doddle.

Sorry I cannot really comment on the work situation except that I do not know of any body out of work. But agree that really you have to work out your own priorities and preference's, but that also applies to where ever you were going to live, be it here or Timbuktu!

Good luck

Keith.

Tis true is it has a way of growing on you :) Have to admit I wasn't too keen on the area at first, but I love it now! Its central to everything and has everything you need on your door step for day to day living :) Good luck with the move! :D

Glad your settling in Debbio, it's always hard to start with, not everything is instant, we have work at it and give it time.

Regards Keith & Linda

It's the Aussies who like to fish, they would throw a line in a puddle after rain:tongue:, it's also not that flat either, a 5min drive to the top of Thornlands gives you views out to the bay and Islands (I know because I live there), 10min gets you to Mount Cotton with a more sweeping panorama.

Yes, the aussies know fishing is its strong point ;)

We are something like a 40min non rush hour drive to the city (southbank area), over 1hr 20min if we went by train from Cleveland, we have no problem going into the city for special events or even walks along the river. I work in construction so my place of work is not constant, but when I was in UK anywhere within 1hr drive was considered near home, so the 40min to Brisbane is a doddle.

Sorry I cannot really comment on the work situation except that I do not know of any body out of work.

Yes, when I lived on the outskirts, no where near as far as the redlands but far enough, I got in for events and stuff but "totally" different to living near from what I've experienced. The difference between everyday life and occasional visits...very disconnected. Everyone is different though and everyone has a different scale for "far" as you pointed out. 40min non peak, 1hr 20m on the train is like living on the moon to me so the OP should take that into consideration when reading my opinion. :)

But agree that really you have to work out your own priorities and preference's, but that also applies to where ever you were going to live, be it here or Timbuktu!

Good luck

Keith.

I don't think I explained that very well if you were referring to my point....I think it can be more important in places like the redlands than suburbs closer in because if you pick the wrong place closer in you might just be in the wrong suburb but still have a local bus, shops, urban life somewhat similar to life that many from the UK are used to.

In the redlands shire you could end up in a "very" quiet place that is pitch black at night, no street activity, minimum to useless public transport, close to bushland, isolating if home alone....while all of that may be exactly what someone wants and loves it would be a mistake for someone who just fell in love with a house or something on a fine sunny day the week after they arrived and didn't realise what they were giving up until it was gone. Of course many places in the redlands aren't like this, just some and have read some stories like this in the past and met a poster it happened to so just a warning really. There is no doubt that is suits some totally though and it may suit the OP.

You appeared to be running Redland City down, I was just bulling it up a bit, so folk could make a more informed decision. I do live there and have not really encountered any problems with the area, but must admit I am not a public transport user so do not know about bus services. Though I must say that what you say about public transport etc. would almost surely apply to most suburbs that are a similar distance to the main City, and in some instances even more so.

Cheers Keith.

You appeared to be running Redland City down, I was just bulling it up a bit, so folk could make a more informed decision. I do live there and have not really encountered any problems with the area, but must admit I am not a public transport user so do not know about bus services. Though I must say that what you say about public transport etc. would almost surely apply to most suburbs that are a similar distance to the main City, and in some instances even more so.

Cheers Keith.

I can understand you seeing it that way but I really just want to help people who it doesn't suit realise it and vice versa. For people who it does suit that is great and I wouldn't want to scare any of them off the redlands and I certainly don't want them moving to my suburb instead. :) As a local are you able to post more positive stuff about the place to balance mine out more if you have a chance?

I just know it can be a bit disorientating for some coming to a new country after living in the very urban UK and seeing the big houses and space and not realising what you are giving up to have one. Having grown up here I know the price you pay for a big house and garden in a low density part of town and I know some love it but others can feel very isolated or bored. Really depends on your personality and interests I think so really just a process of matching the right place with the right people. :wubclub:

And yes, public transport could easily be as bad in other places similar distance out...when asked my opinion of it I wasn't comparing it to other similar places, more to different options...would be a whole different answer really.

Anyone arriving from another country - or city within Australia, would do best to rent first. As I said before the Redlands grow on you and you get to know what areas within the Redlands you prefer to others. For me I find it strange that I have settled so well. I've always lived in big cities around the world and always made sure that I was close to good public transport. Who would have thought....I now drive everywhere and live on an acreage and really like it. I don't have to go to Brisbane and so rarely do....I find everything that I need here.

When I do go to Brisbane I usually take the bus - the parking is too expensive in Brisbane. I know that other parts of the Redlands are better serviced by public transport than where I am so overall, I don't think public transport is too bad.

I just know it can be a bit disorientating for some coming to a new country after living in the very urban UK and seeing the big houses and space and not realising what you are giving up to have one. Having grown up here I know the price you pay for a big house and garden in a low density part of town and I know some love it but others can feel very isolated or bored. Really depends on your personality and interests I think so really just a process of matching the right place with the right people. :wubclub:

And yes, public transport could easily be as bad in other places similar distance out...when asked my opinion of it I wasn't comparing it to other similar places, more to different options...would be a whole different answer really.

Anyone arriving from another country - or city within Australia, would do best to rent first. As I said before the Redlands grow on you and you get to know what areas within the Redlands you prefer to others. For me I find it strange that I have settled so well. I've always lived in big cities around the world and always made sure that I was close to good public transport. Who would have thought....I now drive everywhere and live on an acreage and really like it. I don't have to go to Brisbane and so rarely do....I find everything that I need here.

I agree. Renting for a fair while is a good idea if possible. Good to hear you have found your place as that is most of the battle.

Archived