Medicals

Vikingandy

Do not worry.

It depends on your Body Mass Index (BMI). Your weight divided your squired height in meters, for example (1,80 m*1,80 m)/90 kilo.

It must be no more 30. My one is 27,5 and I got A group.

It does not need to be less than 30! That is complete nonsense.

Please keep in mind that even if you get an A grade medical, which you probably won't if your BMI is over 30, it can still get referred. I had a high BMI and my medical was referred, but it was fine, I had no other health issues so they just cleared it. Took about three months to clear but no worries there. Basically, you'll be fine, it will get referred if you're over weight but that doesn't mean you don't pass your medical and get to come into Australia.

Guest guest30085

On the panel doctors instructions, it says that BMI > 30 is considered obese, but it doesn't mean that is it, medicals could be referred or further investigations may be carried out, but it isn't the end for the visa necessarily.

On the panel doctors instructions, it says that BMI > 30 is considered obese, but it doesn't mean that is it, but likely that will be referred/ further investigations are carried out, but it isn't the end for the visa necessarily.

BMI > 30 is considered obese generally. But it is NOT going to result in a visa being declined in itself.

Guest guest30085
BMI > 30 is considered obese generally. But it is NOT going to result in a visa being declined in itself.

Thats what I said ..... 'it doesn't mean it's the end of the visa'

I've just worked it out and my bmi is 38.83 :-(

It will do no harm to try and lose a few kilos before the test. But as mentioned, people do not fail the medical for being overweight.

ETA just noticed you mentioned test is on Monday. Liquid / juice diet for the weekend?

:wink:

Seriously... that few kilos that you'd lose from trying to kill yourself dieting/exercising between now and then is not going to make a difference. Being modestly overweight like that is not going to be an issue. (And yes, I know that was a tongue-in-cheek comment, Rupert. Just saying this in case the OP really is considering it! ;))

I got my medical done a little while after another member, who had a relatively low BMI, healthy BMI. She got an A grade medical, and still got referred. My BMI was quite high (over 30) and I got a B grade, and was referred. We both got our visas within a month of each other, so it makes no difference, it just means that your medical needs to be looked at before being cleared automatically. Don't worry about it, I did and became a wreck but it made no difference. I'm in Australia right now, got my visa three months sooner than predicted time. :)

Hi Everyone,

Any way of actually telling if your medicals are referred.

Medibank submitted my results to immigration on the 26th September 2013, however the evisa system still says ''recommended'' for the health examination and also the organise your health examinations link is still there. I have applied for a ENS 186 visa, direct entry route, no migration agent, low risk country.

I have heard no word on nomination or visa. My nomination and visa application was lodged in the last week of June, 2013.

Cheers, E.S.

• 2 months later...

Old thread! Andy how did you get on?

I am an ex prop forward, I am a heavy bloke, same as you, I am active and play football and squash etc but I have a barrel for a chest and I suppose a relatively squidgy belly . . . . All of this comes with the territory of being Welsh!

Naturally a little worried . . . .hoping I am going to be ok. I assume overweight people get Visas on a regular basis. But . . . . my Dad had Chronic Heart Disease 6 months ago and therefore is now part of family history - I have been checked and tested for all of this and my cholesterol is all low and fine. All a little nerve racking.

Appreciate any words of wisdom.

Fingers crossed then mate!! I will be honest and say that has made me feel a little bit better.

I am hitting the gym and only using small plates for the next month! :) could do with a slight trim up. My BMI is a fair bit higher than yours ;) You must be one of those skinny props!

Hi Vanduex,

I can't use rugby as a reason. My BMI was closer to 40 when I did my medical (on its way down now ;-)) I had a fasting blood test done prior to medical, and took it with me, to show no 'emerging' diabetes or heart disease (high cholesterol would be an indicator) Dr doing medical was impressed I'd done it, and added it to the paperwork! Next thing I heard. We had visas, so must have sailed through.

Lots of scare stories on here re weight, and unless you have an 'expensive' weight related health issue, you will be fine, and even if you did, many are accepted after further tests!

Good luck!

I have recently done (maybe 4 months ago) a fasting bloods test as well and I was all clear. I could take that along I suppose. Cheers for the idea though. It is all making me feel a bit better. Still a great incentive to hammer the fitness :)

Archived