UK driving license to NSW driving license

Nessie1970

Hi

I have just been granted my permanent residency and will be moving to a new job in NSW. I am presently in Victoria. Can anyone please advise me of the process I need to undertake to transfer my license over to a NSW one.

Do I need to get any confirmation from the DVLA in the UK re my existing licence?

Thanks for your help

Guest The Pom Queen

Make an appointment with the transport department. Here is what's needed

To obtain a NSW driver licence you must be 17 years of age or older. You need to go to a Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) registry and:

Provide the following documents:

Proof of identity. You need to provide two proof of identity documents - one from List 1 and one from List 2.

Proof of your NSW address. If your List 1 or List 2 identity documents do not show your address, you will need to provide a further document proving your address.

Proof of your Australian permanent residency if you are an Australian permanent resident or hold a permanent visa under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958. You will need to provide one of the documents from proof of Australian permanent residency.

Present your overseas licence:

Important: If your overseas licence is not written in English, you must provide an official translation from the NSW Community Relations Commission For a Multi-Cultural NSW.

RMS also accepts translations obtained from the fee-free translation service provided by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). The DIAC fee-free service is only available to eligible people. For more information on this service, please visit the DIAC website or phone 131 881.

For South Korean (Republic of Korea) driver licences, RMS accepts translations from the Consulate-General of the Republic of Korea, as the Consulate verifies the licence details with the relevant South Korean (Republic of Korea) driver licence authority.

Translations obtained through other means are not acceptable.

If you cannot produce your overseas licence, you will need to provide:

A letter from the overseas licence issuing authority confirming your licence details and status, or

A letter from a relevant consulate or diplomatic office (based on information received from the overseas licence issuing authority) confirming your licence details and status.

Pass an eyesight test.

Pass a knowledge test for each class of licence required, unless you are exempt (see the Exemptions from licence tests section for information).

Pass a driving test for each class of licence required, unless you are exempt (see the Exemptions from licence tests section for information).

Pay the licence fee.

Have your photo taken by RMS for your driver licence card.

Exemptions from licence tests

You may not be required to pass a car knowledge test or practical driving test if:

You have previously held an Australian driver licence that expired within the last five years and it can be verified by the issuing authority,

You hold a current New Zealand driver licence (not a New Zealand learner licence or paper licence), or

You are applying for a car licence and you hold a current overseas licence (not a learner licence), or one that expired within the last five years, from a country recognised as having comparable licensing standards to Australia. See Licences from recognised countries for more information.

What happens next?

If you have held your overseas driver or rider licence for less than 12 months, you will be issued a NSW provisional P1 licence. If you have held your overseas driver licence for more than 12 months but less than three years, a provisional P2 licence will be issued. If you have held your overseas driver licence for more than three years, you will be issued with a NSW unrestricted licence.

If you fail the driving test, your visiting driving privileges will be withdrawn. To continue to drive in NSW you must then get a learner licence that will allow you to drive and attempt another driving test.

You must provide documentary proof of the first issue date of your overseas licence if the period for which you have held the licence is to be recognised for the issue of a NSW licence. Before you first attend the registry, you may wish to obtain a letter from the licence issuing authority (on their letterhead) or from your relevant consulate or diplomatic office, confirming your licence details, including the first issue date. If the letter is not in English, an official translation as mentioned above, is also required.

It is a legal requirement under Australian licensing laws that only one licence can be used for driving in Australia.

Before a NSW licence is issued, you must present your overseas licence so the details can be verified and recorded.

Overseas learner licence holders

If you hold a car learner licence issued from an overseas licence issuing authority and you wish to transfer it to a NSW Class C learner licence, you must:

Be 16 years of age or older.

Provide proof of your NSW address.

Prove your identity.

Pass an eyesight test.

Pass a knowledge test.

Pay the licence fee.

Have your photo taken by RMS for your driver licence photo card.

Visitors

From 18 April 2008, new licensing arrangements apply to visiting overseas drivers who want to obtain a NSW licence for the first time. For more information see Temporary overseas visitors obtaining a NSW licence.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html

wow what a great response, thank you! :biggrin:

Make an appointment with the transport department. Here is what's needed

To obtain a NSW driver licence you must be 17 years of age or older. You need to go to a Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) registry and:

Provide the following documents:

Proof of identity. You need to provide two proof of identity documents - one from List 1 and one from List 2.

Proof of your NSW address. If your List 1 or List 2 identity documents do not show your address, you will need to provide a further document proving your address.

Proof of your Australian permanent residency if you are an Australian permanent resident or hold a permanent visa under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958. You will need to provide one of the documents from proof of Australian permanent residency.

Present your overseas licence:

Important: If your overseas licence is not written in English, you must provide an official translation from the NSW Community Relations Commission For a Multi-Cultural NSW.

RMS also accepts translations obtained from the fee-free translation service provided by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). The DIAC fee-free service is only available to eligible people. For more information on this service, please visit the DIAC website or phone 131 881.

For South Korean (Republic of Korea) driver licences, RMS accepts translations from the Consulate-General of the Republic of Korea, as the Consulate verifies the licence details with the relevant South Korean (Republic of Korea) driver licence authority.

Translations obtained through other means are not acceptable.

If you cannot produce your overseas licence, you will need to provide:

A letter from the overseas licence issuing authority confirming your licence details and status, or

A letter from a relevant consulate or diplomatic office (based on information received from the overseas licence issuing authority) confirming your licence details and status.

Pass an eyesight test.

Pass a knowledge test for each class of licence required, unless you are exempt (see the Exemptions from licence tests section for information).

Pass a driving test for each class of licence required, unless you are exempt (see the Exemptions from licence tests section for information).

Pay the licence fee.

Have your photo taken by RMS for your driver licence card.

Exemptions from licence tests

You may not be required to pass a car knowledge test or practical driving test if:

You have previously held an Australian driver licence that expired within the last five years and it can be verified by the issuing authority,

You hold a current New Zealand driver licence (not a New Zealand learner licence or paper licence), or

You are applying for a car licence and you hold a current overseas licence (not a learner licence), or one that expired within the last five years, from a country recognised as having comparable licensing standards to Australia. See Licences from recognised countries for more information.

What happens next?

If you have held your overseas driver or rider licence for less than 12 months, you will be issued a NSW provisional P1 licence. If you have held your overseas driver licence for more than 12 months but less than three years, a provisional P2 licence will be issued. If you have held your overseas driver licence for more than three years, you will be issued with a NSW unrestricted licence.

If you fail the driving test, your visiting driving privileges will be withdrawn. To continue to drive in NSW you must then get a learner licence that will allow you to drive and attempt another driving test.

You must provide documentary proof of the first issue date of your overseas licence if the period for which you have held the licence is to be recognised for the issue of a NSW licence. Before you first attend the registry, you may wish to obtain a letter from the licence issuing authority (on their letterhead) or from your relevant consulate or diplomatic office, confirming your licence details, including the first issue date. If the letter is not in English, an official translation as mentioned above, is also required.

It is a legal requirement under Australian licensing laws that only one licence can be used for driving in Australia.

Before a NSW licence is issued, you must present your overseas licence so the details can be verified and recorded.

Overseas learner licence holders

If you hold a car learner licence issued from an overseas licence issuing authority and you wish to transfer it to a NSW Class C learner licence, you must:

Be 16 years of age or older.

Provide proof of your NSW address.

Prove your identity.

Pass an eyesight test.

Pass a knowledge test.

Pay the licence fee.

Have your photo taken by RMS for your driver licence photo card.

Visitors

From 18 April 2008, new licensing arrangements apply to visiting overseas drivers who want to obtain a NSW licence for the first time. For more information see Temporary overseas visitors obtaining a NSW licence.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html

It's not.

Take Uk license ( both bits) to RTA. Fill in forms. Handover proof of ID ( fairly standard stuff) proof of address ( lease, bills , etc). And proof of residency ( passport sticker... They won't accept electronic confirmation. ).

Smile for the camera and in 10-15 mins you have a license.

It's not.

Take Uk license ( both bits) to RTA. Fill in forms. Handover proof of ID ( fairly standard stuff) proof of address ( lease, bills , etc). And proof of residency ( passport sticker... They won't accept electronic confirmation. ).

Smile for the camera and in 10-15 mins you have a license.

I didn't need proof of residency as per a visa sticker. I just took a print out of the visa grant letter, my uk photocard (not the paper bit) proof of address, passport and my Medicare card. It was really easy.

• 2 months later...
Do you need to change over to an Aussie licence by law if you are a permanent resident?

Yes you have 3 months to do so.

I did it the other week, really easy. Simple form- both parts of license, tenancy agreement, passport and voila. I have heard contrasting reports that they are meant to keep our UK license and notify DVLA but they didn't want to know. I got to keep UK license too. Not sure how that works back home. n theory I could get fined 1000GBP as I haven' told them of a change of address>>

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I will be moving to Sydney on 08th January 2014, and the job I will be doing will require me to travel around a lot, and think swapping over my UK Driving Licence is not only a requirement but advisable. I have one or two concerns about the process that I am hoping someone can help me answer:

I have read the loads of information on forums and the various NSW Government Websites about transferring your licence over, and think because I have had my Car Licence since 2000 and my Motorcycle Licence since 2009, I don't think it is going to be a problem... or so I thought...

...I recently read that they look at the date at which the licence was issued rather than how long you've actually had the licence so it is advisable not to renew your licence even if it is due to expire because it will show you've only had the licence for a short time. I obviously read this after I have just recently changed the address on my licence, and now it will show the licence was issued only a few short months ago.

The last thing I need is to be given a Provisional Licence, this will hinder my professional driving for work, plus I have had my licence for over 10 years.

The UK Licence has on the back when the licence was obtained and when it expires...

So do you think this will be a problem?

When I get settled the first thing I would like to do is get a motorcycle again (so missed it) and I would like to be unrestricted, like I am in the UK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yours

Ben

I think I know what you mean, your licence has a date when it was issued but also on the back it has "from" and "to" columns. The from coloumn should be the date you first got your licence. The rta are quite used to reading uk licences and the lady serving me knew this when I didn't when I went to change mine over last month.

I think I know what you mean, your licence has a date when it was issued but also on the back it has "from" and "to" columns. The from coloumn should be the date you first got your licence. The rta are quite used to reading uk licences and the lady serving me knew this when I didn't when I went to change mine over last month.

Thanks jonbclark, Probably worrying about nothing, just 2 days to go and I will flying there, and want to make sure I have covered every possible thing... which I am sure I would have forgotten something.

How did you decide which licence to get, because there is different ones, with different lengths and costs, is it worth just paying the most to get the longest licence?

Ben

Thanks jonbclark, Probably worrying about nothing, just 2 days to go and I will flying there, and want to make sure I have covered every possible thing... which I am sure I would have forgotten something.

How did you decide which licence to get, because there is different ones, with different lengths and costs, is it worth just paying the most to get the longest licence?

Ben

if you are on a temporary visa like a 457 you can only get a years licence at a time (and also can't get until you've been in the country 6 months well I speak for nsw as that's where we are) if you are on a permanent visa you have to get your licence within 3 months of arrival and it works out cheaper to get a 5 or a 3 year licence than a 1 year but the cost isn't massively different so it's up to you

• 2 weeks later...

2 things here.

1. what if you don't have an australian address and are just staying at a b&b?

2. our passports have no visa stamps as they're electronic and so will our printout confirming our visa be ok?

3. (3 things actually!) $166? for 5 years? blimey! :)

Do you need to book to get a license or just turn up at the office, and is it better to do the medicare and centrelink first to gain ID for the points test (just got a standard rental application, they need more references than the jobs and visa combined!!!!!)

What surprises me is that most of the recognized countries drive on the other side of the road and a test is not required :err: Is it so easy to get used to such a change?

Easier than you'd think

Us Brits have to do it every time we go to continental Europe of course. I always found adapting to a car that was different (ie a LHD one in our case) harder than the driving on the other side of the road thing

1. what if you don't have an australian address and are just staying at a b&b?

2. our passports have no visa stamps as they're electronic and so will our printout confirming our visa be ok?

Do you need to book to get a license or just turn up at the office, and is it better to do the medicare and centrelink first to gain ID for the points test (just got a standard rental application, they need more references than the jobs and visa combined!!!!!)

Just turn up. Do not go to a "Service NSW" as I believe they send the licence through the post now.

They can verify your visa status online if you have no physical visa in your passport.

You need a proper address though with a document sent to that address eg bank statement. However, unlike in the UK, banks don't ask for proof of address before they will open an account for you! But you may need a Medicare card to open a bank account.

Archived