possible going back for peace

godders

My Australian Wife of 1 mth & our family are considering moving back to the UK.

I’m an Aussie Citizen etc, been here for 14yrs… reason for the move – a crazy ex wife which I won’t go into here but basically I should be having access to my 2 children with her but constantly being deneied.

My questions are these

• Does anyone here, who has gone back home have Australian child support agreements in place and how does this work in terms of paying, who is the collector Australia or UK, pounds or dollars?
  • How would my Wife and children be treated in the UK in terms of housing/NHS etc, I know for travelling there is reciprocal agreements in place
  • How does the visa process work, would she need one or not, what type and how long is it valid for, what about the children?

Geez when I left the UK I was living in a studio flat and just pleasing myself now looking at the possibility of moving back I have responsibilities to look after and not sure where to go and for what help is available out there lol

Thinking be easier for me to come home first and get myself settled so rest of family can just move on out with minimal disruptions but just finding out the best way to do this and if anyone else has been in a similar situation to this

I think this may be harder than you think it might be. There are new spouse visa rules in place which require you to show that either you have considerable savings or a job earning £18k (plus more for dependents). Does your wife have any UK ancestry so an ancestry visa might be a possibility? The kids - if they are yours then they should be citizens by descent, if they are hers then they will require you to demonstrate more funds on your spouse visa application.

Sorry can't help about the child support.

My Australian Wife of 1 mth & our family are considering moving back to the UK.

I’m an Aussie Citizen etc, been here for 14yrs… reason for the move – a crazy ex wife which I won’t go into here but basically I should be having access to my 2 children with her but constantly being deneied.

My questions are these

• Does anyone here, who has gone back home have Australian child support agreements in place and how does this work in terms of paying, who is the collector Australia or UK, pounds or dollars?

• How would my Wife and children be treated in the UK in terms of housing/NHS etc, I know for travelling there is reciprocal agreements in place

• How does the visa process work, would she need one or not, what type and how long is it valid for, what about the children?

Geez when I left the UK I was living in a studio flat and just pleasing myself now looking at the possibility of moving back I have responsibilities to look after and not sure where to go and for what help is available out there lol

Thinking be easier for me to come home first and get myself settled so rest of family can just move on out with minimal disruptions but just finding out the best way to do this and if anyone else has been in a similar situation to this

First of all you will need a job that earns a certain amount 18,000 pounds for just your wife to qualify for a visa. Will be more if you have dependant children going with you. If the children are not yours you could have trouble taking them with you if the father says no. (If that's the case you will have no chance of being allowed to take them). Visa would be a spouse visa. Housing and NHS could be an issue too. You need to show that you can support them all without any help from the Government otherwise the visa or visa's will not be granted. If your wife has any u.k. born parents or grandparents i'd try for an ancestry visa these are much easier to get. However her children if not yours are going to be a big problem. Can't help with the child support thing. However my sister was married to a Japanese man and she was told no overseas child support arrangements are enforceable if the paying parent lives outside of Australia.....hope that helps a bit. My advice would be to contact a u.k. visa agent they will give you advice over the phone. Good luck sadly i think you will need it. U.K. visa's for non E.U. born people are quite tricky to get lots of hurdles in my experience.

Also consider that emigrating is one of the biggest decisions you can make in life and moving your family to get away from an ex seems a very unfair thing to do when it means taking your children away from everything that is familiar. Australia is a large place surely there are other places to move?

As for the child support, recently an agreement has come into play where mothers in Australia can now claim child support from UK fathers so I am sure she would still be entitled to the same child support that you would have to pay in relation to your salary. Ie for me with 2 children its 20%. Yours a little different to the norm but I wouldnt presume you wouldnt be liable, the world is becoming a smaller place and Austrlalia and UK have a lot of reciprical agreements.

Archived