WHV for sept/oct 2014! First stop Perth, to see family, then who knows? Any like minded souls?

Tomleics1988

Hi everyone, I'm suffering from this all consuming, obsessive condition called "Australian WHV idea!" And I am applying for my WHV in the new year to hopefully fly out sept/oct 2014, I'm currently aiming to save approx £6000 perhaps more to, firstly, visit family in Bunbury where I can stay for as long as I need or want then, ideally, I would like to get my 'specified work/agricultural work' out of the way ASAP so I qualify for the 2nd year visa. I have worked in a garment/fabric dying and packaging warehouse for 9 years (since I was 16) and have done labouring and painting and decorating on building sites and privately, on-the-side - so am no stranger to hard graft. I can show my employment references etc (which would be praising I hope!) so; hopefully I won't struggle to find work?

With regards as to where to go after Bunbury/Perth, I have no plans apart from Ayres Rock, Great Barrier Reef, Whitsunday islands (cliché I know), maybe a crazy road trip, or motorcycle trip, and I love cities so I'd like to see as many of the big ones as possible, but like I said nothing is concrete and I have no idea in which order to do any of this in! I would like to return to Perth for XMAS NYE however to be with family.

So in conclusion, I am 25, have always dreamed of doing this, I have family to fall back on; if needs be, will have a fair bit of cash to take with me, like to work, and like to party, so finding work will be definately needed as i am not one for scrimping - i like to enjoy myself, the only thing is I will possibly be heading out alone as none of my mates are bothered by the idea (crazy I know) so, if any of you guys have any advice, tips, work related websites, or are thinking of doing the same kind of thing around the same time, drop me a message! Thanks, Tom.

• 4 months later...

seems you have enough money. Good time to hit Perth also, there wheat harvests start around October until January if you are looking for farm work.

I would suggest on buying a car between two of you, will help you alot in terms of finding a job, then hit a town that will be harvesting wheat, knock on some doors asking what they have going.

Edited by tingtongman

Hi everyone, I'm suffering from this all consuming, obsessive condition called "Australian WHV idea!" And I am applying for my WHV in the new year to hopefully fly out sept/oct 2014, I'm currently aiming to save approx £6000 perhaps more to, firstly, visit family in Bunbury where I can stay for as long as I need or want then, ideally, I would like to get my 'specified work/agricultural work' out of the way ASAP so I qualify for the 2nd year visa. I have worked in a garment/fabric dying and packaging warehouse for 9 years (since I was 16) and have done labouring and painting and decorating on building sites and privately, on-the-side - so am no stranger to hard graft. I can show my employment references etc (which would be praising I hope!) so; hopefully I won't struggle to find work?

With regards as to where to go after Bunbury/Perth, I have no plans apart from Ayres Rock, Great Barrier Reef, Whitsunday islands (cliché I know), maybe a crazy road trip, or motorcycle trip, and I love cities so I'd like to see as many of the big ones as possible, but like I said nothing is concrete and I have no idea in which order to do any of this in! I would like to return to Perth for XMAS NYE however to be with family.

So in conclusion, I am 25, have always dreamed of doing this, I have family to fall back on; if needs be, will have a fair bit of cash to take with me, like to work, and like to party, so finding work will be definately needed as i am not one for scrimping - i like to enjoy myself, the only thing is I will possibly be heading out alone as none of my mates are bothered by the idea (crazy I know) so, if any of you guys have any advice, tips, work related websites, or are thinking of doing the same kind of thing around the same time, drop me a message! Thanks, Tom.

In leaving the uk in early August, Staring off in Sydney with family and then want to blast out my regional work! Try Kakadu National park or head up that way and do crocodile cruises etc. I did a 10 day drive from Sydney - Darwin last year and loved the experience

Hey tom,

I'v got my flight booked to perth for the 21st september 2014, I'm also traveling alone. planning on traveling around Oz seeing most cities aswel. I have booked one week in a hostel in perth then hopefully find some sort of harvest work to extend my visa. If all goes to plan I wouldnt mind buying a cheap car and travel and work around oz, i'v got the same sort of budget around 5 /6 grand.

be cool to have a travel budd for a while.

Hey tom,

I'v got my flight booked to perth for the 21st september 2014, I'm also traveling alone. planning on traveling around Oz seeing most cities aswel. I have booked one week in a hostel in perth then hopefully find some sort of harvest work to extend my visa. If all goes to plan I wouldnt mind buying a cheap car and travel and work around oz, i'v got the same sort of budget around 5 /6 grand.

be cool to have a travel budd for a while.

Hi mate, sounds awesome maybe we could meet up out there then? What is your hostel called i will be heading up to Perth from Bunbury (I think around an hr south) around end of sept to hunt for harvest work I reckon; depends on how long I stay with my cousin? In reference to a thread above, i think it would be a great idea to get some farm work on a wheat field! Also- a good friend of mine has decided to come with me, but we are Still very eager to make more friends out there to share the experience and of course the costs of say a car/campervan, accom, road trip, all of that jazz! Send me your email or name and I can message you/ add you on F.B! Cheers mate! Tom.

seems you have enough money. Good time to hit Perth also, there wheat harvests start around October until January if you are looking for farm work.

I would suggest on buying a car between two of you, will help you alot in terms of finding a job, then hit a town that will be harvesting wheat, knock on some doors asking what they have going.

thanks a lot for your input, very helpful! :)

Hi Tom,

Sounds like your in for a great trip!

Do keep us all posted, always great to hear of folk's travels.

Mrs K x

Thanks, yes I'm very excited! My journey over to Oz includes 2 days in Dubai, 2 days in Singapore, 4 days in Borneo 2 days in Kuala Lumpur then Perth! 6 months to wait though - AARGH..

hey bro,

good to hear from you. Definatly up for meeting up and traveling around for abit and share costs of transport ect.

The hostel i'v booked up is the old swan barracks base, northridge.I plan on getting all the main stuff sorted whilst i'm there, bank account, tax file number and things like my white and possible alcohol license, all this will probably come in handy.

my name is Afan Humphries if you want to add me on F.b bro. Yeah good shout about wheat feilds, sounds good to me :)

apparently there is cheap cars for sale over there from fellow back packers haha , it would be brilliant to see most of oz,

sweeeeeet :) nice one tom,.

Hi mate, sounds awesome maybe we could meet up out there then? What is your hostel called i will be heading up to Perth from Bunbury (I think around an hr south) around end of sept to hunt for harvest work I reckon; depends on how long I stay with my cousin? In reference to a thread above, i think it would be a great idea to get some farm work on a wheat field! Also- a good friend of mine has decided to come with me, but we are Still very eager to make more friends out there to share the experience and of course the costs of say a car/campervan, accom, road trip, all of that jazz! Send me your email or name and I can message you/ add you on F.B! Cheers mate! Tom.