Flight arrives Tullamarine 6:30am... We have 2 young kids. Help?

LadyCroft

Our holiday rental check in is 3pm and is towards Brighton so we are thinking of attempting to book a room at the Holiday Inn next to the terminal at Tullamarine airport so we can head straight there before going to our rental. When I spoke to them they said we would likely need to book the day before arrival AND the day of arrival to secure the room... That is going to be expensive.

Also, what is the best way to get to our holiday rental in Brighton from the airport when we need 2 car seats for the kids? We would need a baby seat and a child seat so do you have to pre book this?

Thanks for your valued advice here. I am trying to make sure our arrival is as organised and stress free as possible after such a long flight.

Our holiday rental check in is 3pm and is towards Brighton so we are thinking of attempting to book a room at the Holiday Inn next to the terminal at Tullamarine airport so we can head straight there before going to our rental. When I spoke to them they said we would likely need to book the day before arrival AND the day of arrival to secure the room... That is going to be expensive.

Also, what is the best way to get to our holiday rental in Brighton from the airport when we need 2 car seats for the kids? We would need a baby seat and a child seat so do you have to pre book this?

Thanks for your valued advice here. I am trying to make sure our arrival is as organised and stress free as possible after such a long flight.

If you arrive at 6:30AM, it may take an hour to get out of the airport, so say 7:30AM. You then have to pick your rental car up, say another 30 minutes, so that is 8AM. The drive to Brighton is about 40 minutes, longer if the traffic is heavy, so say close to 9AM. Contact the holiday rental re an early as possible book in. Even if they charge you more, it will probably be cheaper than the Holiday Inn. You will need to pre book the kiddy seats so that they are already fitted on your arrival. They will of course charge for the seats. Are you getting a GPS with the car? That would make it very easy to get there. Someone on here a while back, actually picked the rental car up and drove to the Westfield Shopping Mall which is about a 10 minute drive from the airport, and bought a couple of kiddy seats as it worked out cheaper then renting them. He had to leave his wife and kiddies at the airport of course while he went.

If we lived close to the airport or were on your route from it, you would have been more then welcome to stop off for a bite to eat and a rest, but unfortunately we are well off it.

Hire a car (and book the car seats)

Take your luggage to the accommodation and drop it off.

Proceed to Brunch, sort out your medicare and potential Vic Roads

By then you will be ready to return to holiday accommodation for check in.

I'd agree about the car seats - they can be expensive (and rubbish!) to hire. How long will you be hiring them for? Do you have your own coming over with your stuff?

If you could get a room at a hotel until your holiday rental is ready then you could send hubby out to get a couple. If you look online before you go and pick the one you want it'll be easier than wandering around, sleep deprived, trying to decide! Target, Big W and Kmart all do car seats.

You can get to Brighton via public transport (therefore avoiding having to hire/buy car seats immediately) but whether you're prepared to do that after a long flight is a different matter entirely. One of the annoying things about Melbourne airport is that there isn't a train line to it. You'd have to jump on the skybus to Southern Cross station and then onto the Sandringham line to get to Brighton. Not much fun with 2 small children and luggage!

As others say, don't waste money on a hotel. Contact your holiday rental and see what is the earliest you could arrive. Explain the situation. They may try to be helpful or may quote you a price for an early check in. If you are going to pay for an extra night, make it where you want to be. The last thing you'll want to do on arriving is spend several; hours waiting at the airport hotel waiting until it is time to go.

If the holiday rental can't help, then hire the car and buy footballs and go to the park. Or have lunch somewhere. Or pack swimming gear and go for a swim. Or sort put bank accounts. Or get registered with Medicare. I know you have young kids, and I know it might be uncomfortable, but it won't be as uncomfortable as 24 hours in a plane, and it won't be a disruptive as going to sleep all morning and then not being able to sleep at night. If there's any way to stay awake until night time, go for it.

Brighton beach is lovely has has brightly painted beach huts which would be nice for the kids to look at. Dendy Park in Brighton is also nice - it has a shaded playground which is ideal for very small kids as none of the equipment is too high. I use www.playgroundfinder.com to find new parks - there's bound to be at least one good one near to your rental.

I wouldn't go near the Holiday Inn if I were you- especially as they sound as though they are making things difficult. By the time you get to your accommodation it will likely be mid morning anyway- and my guess is they will let you in early so long as you explain the situation to them. Failing that I would go to a local shopping centre reasonably close by and just slump in a café for a bit or even the food court , having purchased a couple of car seats from Target. The place you will be renting would more than likely mind your luggage for you whilst you do this.

I agree with what others have said.

it will take you quite a while to land, disembark, wait for luggage then clear customs.

Then, you need to get your car and leave the airport.

I estimate a minimum of 2 hours.

I would contact the holiday rental to see if you can get in earlier. Then, drive around and have lunch. It's best to try and stay awake anyway so you sleep that night and minimise jet lag. Kids can always nap in the car.

Archived