Perth's Future, Bold Thinking Required

The stat's are rather amazing. If all goes according to plan Perth's population will double in less than 40 years. The requirement will be for 700,000 new houses or apartments. How will Perth meet this challenge? We are the near fastest city in population growth in Australia. Some 350,000 folk were added to the population in the five year period between the 06 census and the 11 census.

The majority were migrants. Perth as is one of the largest, in sprawl cities in the world. Some 140 plus kms from north to south alone.

Just to get a feel of the magnitude of the expected changes forecast it goes like this.

What took Perth 180 years in building this city and the environs, will be replicated in less than 40 years. That is a change of enormous challenge, not to say change to what we know Perth today, as the changes from ten years back.

Perth has though in its recent history been a place of lost opportunities, imagination failure and far too cautious in making statements about itself, preferring compromise. The Bell Tower is a perfect example. It should have been twice as big or not built at all and look what we ended up with.

Light rail is a must for the future. Let's hope Perth has the courage to make some bold statements and makes the right moves.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF

Perth was voted as one of the best places in the world to live again this year, so it must be doing something right.

Guest Guest66881

It does need a new bigger industrial zone in my opinion, further up the coast line closer to the workforce:wink:

It does need a new bigger industrial zone in my opinion, further up the coast line closer to the workforce:wink:
That's got to be a good idea. There is so many people commuting long distances for work. Its bound to be cheaper for big business to have offices further out as well, I don't know why they all need to be in the CDB, say some of the big insurance companies could have their call centres further out.

Perth was voted as one of the best places in the world to live again this year, so it must be doing something right.

As if. You refer to the survey that suggested Melbourne as the best city for another year I expect. I pretty sure I done a thread on the matter but if not commented on the findings. From memory Perth came in at around number 8.

As I mentioned at the time it was not a measure for the quality of live for those of us living here. It was a measurement for companies that needed to assign a hardship allowance to expat staff being sent abroad.

Factors like housing costs (Perth is said to be 11th most expensive place to buy a house) or education value and standard are not measured as these things tend to be part of the parcel and their kids go to private schools anyway.

Also things like job availability don't factor. Actually going on the unplanned previous 180 years which allowed the formation of the of the most sprawling cities in the world with little growth in infrastructure of the years, the sustainability of Perth to continue as it has must be seriously questioned.

These issues are seriously compounded by proclaimed population predictions for the future four decades.

Guest Guest66881

And with future population growths known, this is why they need to act now via industrial regeneration above Wanneroo, why not go 40 clicks above Yanchep, that would create the housing needed also infrastructure like roads/trains, on travel they need to seriously look at some sort of light rail network, because the bus system is a joke to be honest.

Why don't they build another city in WA? There isn't exactly a shortage of space up the coastline...

Indeed why not? That is something that has been a topic for well ever it feels. Just doesn't seem to be the will nor the foresight to get the ball rolling. Everything here is usually for short term gain. What looks likely to happen at the moment is the metro will further sprawl down to Bunbury and north even as far as Geraldton at some future date. If sustainability issues don't impact first, such as the dire shortage of water.

Albany would make a good second city in my opinion.

That's got to be a good idea. There is so many people commuting long distances for work. Its bound to be cheaper for big business to have offices further out as well, I don't know why they all need to be in the CDB, say some of the big insurance companies could have their call centres further out.

I thought that was the reason of creating hub cities(satellite) Joondalup, Midland, and the like?

Guest Guest66881

Ellenbrook gets new housing like theres no tomorrow, still have to commute, lots of spare land for sale between there and Joondalup.

They keep looking at housing when the industrial/work related gets left behind, i bet if they built new roads out there and light rail the investors would be building new factories with government incentives of course, then housing would follow or be built at the same time, they did it during the industrial revolution (cheap housing for workers on the doorstep).

I agree, a new bigger and better CBD is a must.. Can't keep building housing estates with the odd Coles or woollies .. There's lots of spare land around

No, I'd go for the expansion and development the present CBD which is coming along, if very late in the day. By all means create an addition to it but not a replacement. There is lots opf room to expand the CBD to include Leederville, North Perth, Mt Lawley for example. Add breath and width to what is existing already.

Guest Guest66881
No, I'd go for the expansion and development the present CBD which is coming along, if very late in the day. By all means create an addition to it but not a replacement. There is lots opf room to expand the CBD to include Leederville, North Perth, Mt Lawley for example. Add breath and width to what is existing already.

So where do all the public housing go, not that much free space down there now.

So where do all the public housing go, not that much free space down there now.

If you mean social housing well the market is relied on to create that. If housing at affordable rates it is clear to my mind to move will be towards those so called villas and flats. The costs are too much for those to live as in the past unless something dramatically happens and a crash happens in the market.

Guest Guest66881

Sorry i meant ALL housing, new private housing would be high rise mansions overlooking nothing special, the rest would be booted out to make room for high cost living hi rise flats, so the move out into places like Ellenbrook etc needs more investment into light rail/roads, and new work places nearer to the masses to alleviate the burdening travel times.

So you give up then?

What you do is start to pressure government. Set up pressure groups. Take an active interest in local politics. Demand to know why the population must increase in less than forty years what took a hundred and eighty years to reach. Don't allow developers to set the rules. Demand better transport options. There's countless things but will folk bother? Or the great apathy win out.

Guest Guest66881
What you do is start to pressure government. Set up pressure groups. Take an active interest in local politics. Demand to know why the population must increase in less than forty years what took a hundred and eighty years to reach. Don't allow developers to set the rules. Demand better transport options. There's countless things but will folk bother? Or the great apathy win out.

I understand your path with this one, and i agree.

Trouble is 'people' are the worst for not standing especially after moaning for ages, the 'powers' know this and just go with the back handers and money incentives from big business, as usual the 'normal little person' as no real end say, especially in redevelopment of things like a new footie stadium, the water front what a waste of money.

Hospitals go up, only to be owned by private enterprise giving the nod to mp's, the same the world over.

Slug got back in again with a land slide yet when you read local papers he's a slimy not to be trusted kind of guy?

Sorry i meant ALL housing, new private housing would be high rise mansions overlooking nothing special, the rest would be booted out to make room for high cost living hi rise flats, so the move out into places like Ellenbrook etc needs more investment into light rail/roads, and new work places nearer to the masses to alleviate the burdening travel times.

I see your point. Certain areas could be established to warehouse folk no longer of use in the brave new world. Out of sight out of mind sort of thing. The powers that be may not want rail connections preferring to limit access to less desirable citizens in a sort of social quarantine.

Guest Guest66881

Mate you can eat the best cheese doesn't make you any better than me (not a personal dig just my view on life), pity everyone else didn't think this way instead of just talking it.

Archived