Can anyone help me with understanding the Vetassess results?

Guest liying

Guest liying

I have finally got the result letter from Vetassess, and it was positive. However, I still have the question about claiming points for my employment. Would anyone help me to answer this question?

My nominated occupation is Forester (234113), and I have worked as a PhD student in Sweden for four years in related subject. The employment is not based on scholarship, I have regular salary. Vetassess has verified the employment and qualification as below,

"The following claims of skilled employment made by the applciant are assessed as employment of at least 40 hours per fortnight which is at an appropriate skill level and closely related to the nominated occupation of Forester".

My question is that can I claim 5 points for the employment of PhD student (4 years) and at the same time claim 20 points for the highest obtained qualification (the PhD)? Will the migration board refuse this and ban me through further application?

I am really a little worried about it. Hope you could kindly help me answer this?

I have finally got the result letter from Vetassess, and it was positive. However, I still have the question about claiming points for my employment. Would anyone help me to answer this question?

My nominated occupation is Forester (234113), and I have worked as a PhD student in Sweden for four years in related subject. The employment is not based on scholarship, I have regular salary. Vetassess has verified the employment and qualification as below,

"The following claims of skilled employment made by the applciant are assessed as employment of at least 40 hours per fortnight which is at an appropriate skill level and closely related to the nominated occupation of Forester".

My question is that can I claim 5 points for the employment of PhD student (4 years) and at the same time claim 20 points for the highest obtained qualification (the PhD)? Will the migration board refuse this and ban me through further application?

I am really a little worried about it. Hope you could kindly help me answer this?

Hey,

As per my understanding - you should be able to claim points both for the degree and for any work experience after the degree assessed by Vetassess (probably B.Sc. in your case).

Although, if I were you I would look for some extra points elsewhere and play it safe by claiming only points for one:)

Have you already done IELTS? It should be easy for a scientist to get more than 7.0 in all bands, which will give you 10 extra points.

Have you received a Points Test Advice for your PhD degree from Vetassess? It's not necessary, but better to have if you want to claim 20 points for a PhD outside Australia.

Guest liying

Sadly my occupation is not on any state sponsored occupation list. :(

I am really counting on four 7s in the IELTS result, which will be released on Friday. I did it once this spring, all but writing reached 7. writing 6.5.

Cross my finger this time.

how about going for state sponsorship?

you get 5 points if you are sponsored by a state

Guest liying

Thank you for your advice!

Maybe it is safer to just claim the degree points not the employment. I will have to depend on the IELTS result. Btw, you have really high marks in IELTS! Awesome!!! You got 20 points for English, right?

Hey,

As per my understanding - you should be able to claim points both for the degree and for any work experience after the degree assessed by Vetassess (probably B.Sc. in your case).

Although, if I were you I would look for some extra points elsewhere and play it safe by claiming only points for one:)

Have you already done IELTS? It should be easy for a scientist to get more than 7.0 in all bands, which will give you 10 extra points.

Have you received a Points Test Advice for your PhD degree from Vetassess? It's not necessary, but better to have if you want to claim 20 points for a PhD outside Australia.

hi liying,

just my take on the matter. you may wanna take a closer look at your result. there's actually 2 parts to it, first is your qualification, and then the relevant work experience.

with the qualification, they will tell you that your qualification is of the required level (so if it's phd then you can claim for it)

with the work experience, they will tell you that it was assessed as highly relevant to the nominated occupation and completed at an appropriate skill level (so if they say that 3 out of the 5 years are relevant, then you can claim 3 years of work experience).

just my take.

Thank you for your advice!

Maybe it is safer to just claim the degree points not the employment. I will have to depend on the IELTS result. Btw, you have really high marks in IELTS! Awesome!!! You got 20 points for English, right?

I think claiming points for qualification is easier than for work experience (less documents are needed). Just make sure that the VETASSESS result mentions that your PhD is at the required level and comparable to an Australian PhD.

I am sure you will get at least 7 in all bands in IELTS. Do you work in English? Yes, I claimed 20points for IELTS, no points for experience and 15points for Bachelor degree.

Guest liying

Just got the IELTS result, all 7. Now I have got 60 points! Really excited! Don't need to claim the work experience points. Thank you everyone! Now wish I can get the rest done soon!

I think claiming points for qualification is easier than for work experience (less documents are needed). Just make sure that the VETASSESS result mentions that your PhD is at the required level and comparable to an Australian PhD.

I am sure you will get at least 7 in all bands in IELTS. Do you work in English? Yes, I claimed 20points for IELTS, no points for experience and 15points for Bachelor degree.

• 1 year later...

Dear Liying,

I am a Nepalese citizen and have a degree in B.Sc Forestry, currently working in a reputed INGO in forestry related field. I want to do skill assessment from VETASSESS so that my husband could get extra 5 points. I have no friends/senior forester who got positive result from VETASSESS and luckly I came across your post. Many congratulations!!! It took so long for me to find someone who got positive result. This has encouraged me. I also plan to do my assessment soon.

Thanks and regards

Anjju

• 3 years later...