Insurance on imported cars

panicp

Hi guys,

We're about to move to Perth and I have a decent deal in moving my car over. Does anyone know if they hammer you on insurance if it's for an imported car?

Its a BMW520d.

Any information ASAP would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Dave

Hi panicp, we brought our Q7 and BMW 1 series over both of them 4-5 years old. Used Shannon's insurance pay $88.58 for the BMW which includes both my 18 and 22 yr old sons being able to drive it. We pay $68.31 for the Q7 for me and OH to drive. Don't forget the separate insurance that has to be paid for each car for third party insurance (CTP) which off the top of my head was around $350 for each car. So in all about £70 per month for my BMW, the fact that I could even insure my sons on my car has been fantastic. My poor 18 yr old niece has just passed her test in the UK and to get insured on my mums fiesta has been quoted £5k....ouch. Good luck.

I have connections at Shannon's Insurance who look after our customers (or anyone on PIO too, just PM me and I'll give you a direct number to bypass their normal phone system), but they're generally aimed at the enthusiast market, so it can be hit and miss with whether or not they can take you on. Tip: sound like an enthusiast when you talk to them! Hahaha.

For the mainstream insurers, you'll often find that it's easier to get insurance 1) once it's registered and 2) if you don't mention the 'i' word (import). Australian insurance companies have an innate (and unfounded) fear of grey imported vehicles from Japan, which is what you'd instantly be compared to if you said it. It's a cultural difference, and not really based on logic.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Iron Chef...

Just curious about how one stands with regards to not mentioning the 'i' word if I was to have a claim...? I imported a Kia Sorento which is hardly an enthusiasts car but it balanced out financially and it was a bit of a test run really ahead of me importing my 'proper' car (I have just fired off for a quote on your website for this one!) :biggrin:

Would they not void the insurance if I don't declare it as an import...?

Thanks in advance....

Coops13

The only time they MIGHT be able to void your insurance would be if they could prove that the differences between a UK-spec Sorrento and the Australian one were somehow responsible for the accident. Given that the spec is 99% similar, I can't think of anything that would fit into that category without it also being unroadworthy (which would be more of an issue for an insurance company).

Surely if they ask if it is an import and you say no, you have been dishonest and they could get out of paying. For mine they wanted photos of the import plates to show it was legal. Personally I wouldn't risk not mentioning it. Any reason to not pay out and I'm sure they would find it.

My son got himself an XR6 turbo ute when he was 19. Went with Shannons and they've been great. Now has a 69 Corvette and thought he would try and shop around a bit. Shannons were the only ones that would insure him but they weren't expensive. He has insurance for any driver too so it's great for me and the wife.

Hi panicp, we brought our Q7 and BMW 1 series over both of them 4-5 years old. Used Shannon's insurance pay $88.58 for the BMW which includes both my 18 and 22 yr old sons being able to drive it. We pay $68.31 for the Q7 for me and OH to drive. Don't forget the separate insurance that has to be paid for each car for third party insurance (CTP) which off the top of my head was around $350 for each car. So in all about £70 per month for my BMW, the fact that I could even insure my sons on my car has been fantastic. My poor 18 yr old niece has just passed her test in the UK and to get insured on my mums fiesta has been quoted £5k....ouch. Good luck.

You won't pay seperate CTP in Perth as it is included in your rego so disregard that cost, if you go online to the WA Transport department there is a calculator that will tell you how much the rego would be on each car. Then the only other cost with be your insurance best do it online its generally cheaper.

The only time they MIGHT be able to void your insurance would be if they could prove that the differences between a UK-spec Sorrento and the Australian one were somehow responsible for the accident. Given that the spec is 99% similar, I can't think of anything that would fit into that category without it also being unroadworthy (which would be more of an issue for an insurance company).

They can decline on the basis that you have been dishonest nothing else would matter after that because an insurance contract is a legal document, people seem to forget that some times.

You won't pay seperate CTP in Perth as it is included in your rego so disregard that cost, if you go online to the WA Transport department there is a calculator that will tell you how much the rego would be on each car. Then the only other cost with be your insurance best do it online its generally cheaper.

I've just re-insured my car (X-Trial) and thought it would be cheaper with one of the on-line mobs. RAC were the best by a long way and cover any driver.

Archived