Single person offered 80K in Perth....

Red Rose

Hi guys,

I am on a very mediocre salary in London (30k), but, believe it or not, manage to get by on that living in shared accommodation in central London. I would say my standard of living is ok, not great, but not too shabby either.

I potentially may be offered a job in Perth for 80k. I appreciate this is also a very mediocre salary, in Australian terms, and as far as standard of living is concerned, equivalent to a 30k salary in the UK. I therefore would be potentially trading like-for-like.

I am able to get by and live a comfortable life in London on 30K, but wonder if I would actually be worse off in Perth on 80K as a single person? I would be happy to live in a shared flat in Perth and am not a big drinker, so would hopefully be able to keep my outgoings to a minimum! I am hoping the role will lead to bigger and better things which is why I am considering making the move, but am petrified about the cost of living in the most expensive city in the Southern Hemisphere, and hence would welcome some opinions from some of Perth peeps.

Thanks.

I shouldn't think London and Perth would be really that different in terms of cost of living. Both salaries are a shade above the national average and I think you would be in a reasonably similar position financially. I think this comes down to what you want to do. I would be rather sceptical about a role in Perth leading to bigger and better things than a role in London, but that aside, living and working overseas is a life experience that appeals to many people and if you are one of those people then it is definitely worth considering.

I suppose it is a personal question. Are you moving for more opportunities, an adventure, or for some other reason. Look at yourself and determine that if your quality of life was the same in both cities which would you prefer? Are you looking for something permanent or something temporary?

Not sure about the more opportunities but it depends on your field of work I guess, I wouldn't move just for the job I would consider everything else as well. Perth is a long way away from anything really and flying is expensive.

Archived