Anyone move from Cornwall or anywhere near there?

Guest vickyt

Hi Vicky,

My Name is Natalie and i used to live in Plymouth befor moving to QLD.

I am not quite sure where st.Austell is but i know how you feel about no one knowing where Cornwall is i have only met one other person on here who came from Devon! lol x

But anyway where abouts are you living in Australia? x

love Natalie x x x x

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hya:

We're from Dartmouth S. Devon, so know Cornwall very well as I used to go clubbing in Newquay twice a week before I realized Torquay would be a lot cheaper & easier! Used to take my nieces down to Berdruthan Steps, to the National Trust car park for great cream teas! So we're in Tassie now, not sooo different, all these local names are very disconcerting really as the places bear little resemblance to the originals!! :err:

But I do miss Cornwall - when we were up North, there were great beaches, but so windswept & cold... and nothing really compared to all those lovely historic fishing villages, coves & surfing beaches of Cornwall... But surprised you haven't met anyone yet who knows where it is, as there seems to be more Auzzies in Perranporth & Newquay than Cornish! :spinny: X PS: OZZY TV has that Martin Clunes series - Doc Martin - so peeps should know where you come from!?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

Just stumbled across this thread after a random Google search!

We're from St Dennis, which is near St Austell. We moved to Lara, VIC for just over a year and are loving it :) Do miss the greenery of Cornwall now & then though!

Guest spottymercedes
Hi all!

Just stumbled across this thread after a random Google search!

We're from St Dennis, which is near St Austell. We moved to Lara, VIC for just over a year and are loving it :) Do miss the greenery of Cornwall now & then though!

How are you finding Lara? We seriously considered Lara, but ended up on the other side in Pakenham, because of the distance for working in Melbourne. We really liked Lara, you must like it if you've been there a year.:smile:

How are you finding Lara? We seriously considered Lara, but ended up on the other side in Pakenham, because of the distance for working in Melbourne. We really liked Lara, you must like it if you've been there a year.:smile:

Firstly, i didn't realise this section was for 'younger ones'!! I just spotted the Cornwall bit and ploughed straight in!

But yeah, we really love Lara!

To be honest, Lara is almost like an Aussie equivelant of St Dennis! lol! It's just maverick enough for us!

I can understand why you ended up in Pakenham if you're working in Melbourne, but saying that the train is only about 40 mins from here.

It's a shame that more Brits don't consider somewhere other than Melbourne though, as pretty much everyone seems to head there as far as i can tell.

It's difficult to comment without upsetting anyone, as we are all different, but personally i see moving to Melbourne as the 'safe option'...which is great, but at the same time there's so much more to Victoria than Melbourne, but once in Melbourne people don't seem to ever get out or visit places outside of Melbourne. (hope that makes sense!)

I guess it's like visiting Cornwall but only ever seeing Newquay...

Having said that, as cities go, Melbourne seems really nice!! And if you're a 'city type' then somewhere like Lara would be hell for you....so i can understand why it's not for everyone :)

Guest spottymercedes

I never saw the younger ones part either! Glad you like it in Lara. We will have to visit there again soon. We always wanted to avoid Melbourne and live a bit further out, but feel a bit stuck here now as the kids have started school here and really like it, so don't want to move them now. We visited Bendigo a while back and kind of wished we had travelled out that way before moving to Pakenham. Pakenham is quite nice though, its not too busy yet, but looking down from the hill where we live, you can see the green fields are slowly being covered in tiny houses all in neat little rows, with no gardens at all. Its quite sad really as its lovely here as it is, surely people don't want all these new estates cropping up and taking away the countryside. Thats something we wanted to escape from in the UK. Apparently about a year ago, there used to be kangaroos coming into our street and drinking from the pond in the garden opposite our house. I bet they won't be back this year, now that building has started on the road around the corner from us. Its a real shame.

Hi! We come from Cornwall too! Lived with parents in Garras, near Trelowarren. My Dad worked at Goonhilly. We went to school at Mullion and Helston. Worked at Flambards for a couple of years and Gweek Seal Sanctuary. Daniels family live in Carnkie, Wendron. I danced the Floral Dance one year but much prefer the drinking part. We're in Williamstown at the moment but are trying to get out of our rental so that we can move to Lara. Keep visiting and love it but need to find new tenants for here first (anyone interested???)

Emma x

We're in Williamstown at the moment but are trying to get out of our rental so that we can move to Lara. Keep visiting and love it but need to find new tenants for here first

Just sent PM ;)

Guest itskaren

I lived in Weston Super Mare for 20 years then moved to Bath for 10 years. Lived in Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire for 5 years.

Guest itskaren
We moved around quite a bit after leaving Cornwall due to work but in the end we were in Trowbridge, just down road from BOA. I love BOA, is absolutely gorgeous!

I know Trowbridge very well. In fact we are in the middle of buying a house for investment there at present rather than Australia!

BOA is lovely. You just don't realise how much you'll miss a place until yu've left it. Just so much history. Ah ... memories!

Can't say I really miss Trowbridge that much although my sister did move there not long before we left and we had many a good night out in Trowbridge. I remember your threads from a while back, how are you getting on now? Have you met many people? I am finding it fairly easy as girls are in primary school and the mums are very chatty but we're moving to Lara soon and I'm hoping it'll be as easy there. Why are you buying in the UK rather than Australia? I am desperate to buy again but only because I like to give hubby lots of jobs to do, hehe, and I think I struggle being in rentals. Where in Trowbridge are you buying? I should PM you and stop boring everyone else with my ramblings.

I have to admit that i can't think of a worse time to buy a house in the UK...especially as an investment, but each to their own :)

I've been to Trowbridge! As a kid my parents used to go to the Village Pump Folk Festival! haha! Is this still going!?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest angie adams

Hey im from bridgwater in somerset :)

im moving to canberra end of december

im 16 just say if you wanna chat

from chelsea

Guest spottymercedes
Hey im from bridgwater in somerset :)

im moving to canberra end of december

im 16 just say if you wanna chat

from chelsea

Hi Chelsea,

Whereabouts in Bridgwater are you from? Thats exactly where we came from. We used to live on the Bower Manor estate. Small world!!:laugh:

Guest kit kat

Hey Vickyt,

I come from Plymouth (In Devon)and I have been here in Oz for about 4 months.

:cute:

Which state do you live?

Kit Kat

xxx

Guest Sydneybound
Hi, my wife and I are moving to OZ in a couple of weeks and bringing one of our kids with us, our 18 yr old Daughter Leah. We are moving from Plymouth and will be in Sydney for a couple of months then living on Central Coast. How r u finding OZ ?

steve

Hey there

I know this post was left a few months ago, but wondered if you still check into the forum. I am hoping to move out to Oz with my 14 year old (very grown up 14 year old) and wondered how your daughter had felt about moving away from Plymouth (we are up the road in Torquay) and how she settled when there?

Guest itskaren
Hey there

I know this post was left a few months ago, but wondered if you still check into the forum. I am hoping to move out to Oz with my 14 year old (very grown up 14 year old) and wondered how your daughter had felt about moving away from Plymouth (we are up the road in Torquay) and how she settled when there?

Hi

Might be easier if you PM the person as sometimes I just delete old posts without even looking!

good luck!:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest VFRHOCKS

Hello Rachel and Wayne,

I am from a bit further down than you, Cambourne/Redruth.

We also going to Perth, hopefully around March/April time.

Hope to see you out there.

Mark, Cheryl and Abi

Archived