You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest vickyt

Anyone move from Cornwall or anywhere near there?

Guest vickyt

I havnt met anyone from the southwest of England yet!

Hardly anyone over here knows where cornwall is lol:shocked:

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Hi Vicky,

Welcome to pomsinoz,

soz to hear that you have not met anyone from Kernow land yet -

I sure know where it is - used to live Penyrn, Falmouth & Mullion so what part of Cornwall are you from ??

Cheers

Gizmo x

** Here There,Where Ever Be Happy**

Guest vickyt

ohh yeah im from st.austell

you know where that is?

ohh yeah im from st.austell

you know where that is?

Vicky yes cause i do -

St Austell not far from Par sort of inbetween Looe & Truro

I have been to St Austell Brewery a few times - nice place.

Alot of Cornwall is very similar to where i live now on the Central coast NSW

gizmo

Guest gullicks

Hi Vicky

I know Cornwall very well. Moved down when I was 9 from up north (20 something years ago) moved to Plymouth when I was 17 to start nurse training.. been here ever since....... My parents still live in Cornwall, village called luxulyan.. i went to Penrice School and Mid Cornwall college, used to work in St Austell as a Satuday girl (those were the days!!!!) and used to go out boogiing in Newquay!! so to answer your question I know Cornwall very well...

Moving to sunshine coast with hubby and 2 children , hopefully around April, May still awaiting visas and then we are off!!!!!!

Take care

Hx

Guest vickyt

Oh i went to penrice school like last year lol

yeah i know where luxulyan is lol

do you like cornwall then?

Guest robbogang33

Hi, my wife and I are moving to OZ in a couple of weeks and bringing one of our kids with us, our 18 yr old Daughter Leah. We are moving from Plymouth and will be in Sydney for a couple of months then living on Central Coast. How r u finding OZ ?

steve

I know Cornwall very well. Lived there as a child some 40odd years ago in Mullion. went to school in Helston (yes I danced in the Floral dance). Moved back there in 1988 with family and lived in village of Breage,near Helston. My son and his family (+my 4 grandchildren) still live there in Connor Downs near Hayle. I visit every 3 months or so. Got to get my fix of real "Cornish Pasties" and clotted cream. Thinks I must cut down before the dreaded medicals!!!!!!

Rita

I know Cornwall very well. Lived there as a child some 40odd years ago in Mullion. went to school in Helston (yes I danced in the Floral dance). Moved back there in 1988 with family and lived in village of Breage,near Helston. My son and his family (+my 4 grandchildren) still live there in Connor Downs near Hayle. I visit every 3 months or so. Got to get my fix of real "Cornish Pasties" and clotted cream. Thinks I must cut down before the dreaded medicals!!!!!!

Hi ancient brits,

Small world i too have lived in Mullion,my youngest daughter used to go to playgroup at Goonhilly and we often took them to the adventure park at Flambards. Have seen the floral dance in the streets of Helston many times whilst drinking stingo !!!

Still have friends that live in Cornwall - we also lived Falmouth too :cool:

gizmo

Very small world Gizmo. My son+ daughter-in-law and grandchildren used to live in St Kevern, before moving to Hayle last year,and would pass Goonhilly every day. The granchildren would look at the big dishes and say "thats where they send the messages from that go to Uncle Matthew,"(my other son who lives in Sydney Aus). He didn't seem so far away to them. That was in the pre skype days. As for stingo+ the blue anchour, when in Rome!!!!!! We now live in Cardiff.

I came from there now in Brisbane

Just joined so getting used to how these posts and threads work.

Be great to hear from you.

We have many Cornish friend here in Brisbane

kernow43

Alistair

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates 1981

Hello,

We're from Falmouth and are moving to the Gold Coast on 6th September.

Can't wait!

Kat

x

On the Gold Coast since September 2008.

Hi

If you need any assistance please contact us. We have been here for 38 years and can help you to settle in. My wife is President of the Cornish Association of Queensland and we have over 200 members, many young like yourselves who are just emigrating. We have 4 people from Falmouth, and next month we have 5 from Indian Queens coming out. Then a young couple from Wadebridge. I am from Redruth & my wife is from Camborne. We have many events through the year including pasty picnics, Cornish afternoon teas and much more!

Please feel free to contact either Alistair or Trish at kernow@orionvisuals.com

If you like I can send you our latest newsletter if I have your email.

I am sure you will like it on the Gold Coast, a great place for young people, one of our members Tristan Wetherelt who recently came out lives down there. Tristan played rugby for Redruth & Cornwall.

What sort of work are you looking for?

Hope to hear from you

Best wishes

Trish & Alistair

Redcliffe Queensland

Hi Vicky

I sent an email to you sometime ago. We have plenty of Cornish folk in our Cornish group, many young folk too. 3 weeks time we have a luncheon at the Regatta Hotel in Coronation Drive.

You can contact me on kernow@orionvisuals.com.

Got a young couple from Wadebridge & another from Indian Queens coming next month to Brisbane

Regards Trish George 07 3284 7790

Hi i lived in the south west, gloucestershire. we used to love going down cornwall for holidays.

What part of Brisbane are you living?

We are in Redcliffe and been in Australia for 38 years and loving it, would not go back to Cornwall the way it is now!!

Trish & Al

Guest sheena

redruth girl here!!!

sheena :wubclub:

Guest jim72

Hi, my family goes back a long way in Millbrook in 'the forgotten corner' of Cornwall. Does that count? Just got back from a holiday in Cawsand/Kingsand down the road. Seems like there are still plenty of West Country folk keeping up the longstanding tradition of emigrating to the Antipodes. Look at all those familiar place names in Tassie, for example. It'd make me feel quite at home!

Here's a couple of recent pics of Cawsand Bay & beach, overlooking Plymouth Sound.

Guest nareyjunior

hi my names caitlin i am from plymouth devon im going to new southwales in january im so excited

I wish you and your family all the best! Don't forget to take your skin cream as it will be quite hot then compred to the Plymouth winter

I know Cornwall/Kernow very well, born and breed until about 10 years ago, moved away but still look back, moving even further away soon, hopefully to Perth area.

Was born in Redruth and raised around there and Cambourne, whole family have always lived there from as far back as I know, apart from myself and my dad (mum and dad devioced when I was young/long time ago). Unfortunatly most of the family down there have pasted away so only a brother and sister left now, so not so much family to leave behind.

Guest Camborne Girl

Calling all Cornish, come join us in NSW Aust

Julie from Camborne

Home Page

Be a great weekend in Nowra Wish we could go

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By SinCityDex
        Hi guys,
        Long story short. I moved to South Oz from Cornwall in 1992 at age 11 with my parents. My parents moved back in 2005 for work. I stayed - had a girlfriend (became my wife)/was @ uni, then I started a career......I had a very traumatic experience @ work in 2014 which destroyed my mental health, career and marriage, all no fault of my own; i've been heavily depressed and anxious for the better part of 2 years. I had a little boy with my wife (currently separated) who is 3. I have 1 Bachelor of Psychology degree, a Masters in Social Work and a Masters in Marketing, so i've got a wide net for employment. Right now i'm self employed, making TV commercials, graphic design - all media stuff.
        I live alone now and can't see myself ever being happy again, BUT, when I think about my family (mum/dad/brother/niece/cousins/friends etc etc) and Cornwall I get a strong sense of connection/hope and love; something i've been lacking for a few years now. My choice, which feels like Sophie's choice is this:
        1. Stay in Oz for my son. I will have a relationship with my son but everything else will be pretty grim, especially when my wife moves onto the next guy, and i'm around to see my son living with him. 
        2. Move back to Cornwall and have a big family again, start afresh etc. Try and find a way of keeping my son in my life - Skype, holidays etc. 
        So the choice is either to remain in Oz completely unhappy with the exception of my son, or move home to Cornwall where I have a sense of identity, family, a sense of community and belonging - something Australia doesn't really have. 
        I guess i'm putting this down on virtual paper because I want to see what other's think of this - all opinions are fine. Please don't kick me while i'm down. If you knew the traumatic event that started everything you'd understand. I'm not one of those dads who wants to leave his son. I don't at all, but I also don't want to die alone in a country that isn't 'home', and continue being miserable. I've been trying to get better for 2 years now but the only light I can ever see at the end of the tunnel is Cornwall. 
        Anybody had a similar experience?
      • By Brit2866
        So I'm wanting to move to Australia, permanently. I plan to get a two yearly working holiday visa, and then after this - what are my options? 
        I'm an exotic dancer so I really don't have a career path. While in Australia I'd like to do some beauty courses. Ultimately I'd like to set up my own business which is very doable, weather it's mobile, in home or small store.
        Is there a visa for me to start a small business and stay in Australia after the two year working holiday visa? Or what are my options, if any, to permanently move and live in Australia?
      • By The Pom Queen
          Sydney and Melbourne housing affordability woes: Is it time to move to Adelaide?
        ABC   
        "Housing out of reach", "The death of the Australian dream" — if you're a young adult living in Sydney or Melbourne such headlines might be enough to make you give up trying to own your own home.
        Key points:
        Young adults moving to Adelaide to buy housing Adelaide praised internationally as it transforms Job opportunities still the biggest challenge outside Melbourne and Sydney  
        House prices in Adelaide, however, remain affordable and with international travel guide Lonely Planet laying praise on the city in recent years, along with economists, perhaps it is time for a closer look at the festival city.
        Cameron Kusher, CoreLogic's head of research in Australia, said Adelaide's median house price was $455,000 at the end of February.
        Sydney by comparison was $895,000 and Melbourne $680,000.
        "We're talking Sydney prices almost double what they are in Adelaide, but you certainly don't get double the wage for the same level of job in Sydney," Mr Kusher said.
        In fact, to service an 80 per cent loan in Sydney, it would cost a homeowner 44.5 per cent of their annual median income, compared to 37.9 per cent in Melbourne and 33 per cent in Adelaide.
        Just saving a 20 per cent deposit in Sydney will cost somebody 168 per cent of their median annual earnings. In Melbourne it will cost 143 per cent but in Adelaide it is a relatively smaller 125 per cent.
        "It's much harder to get into the market in Sydney, and it's a similar story in Melbourne," Mr Kusher said.
        "And once you're in the market, you've got to dedicate a lot more of your income to paying off the mortgage."
        PHOTO: SA was endorsed by the Lonely Planet guide as one of the top five regions in the world to visit in 2017. (Facebook: South Australia)  
        Is it time to move to Adelaide?
        The housing figures make an isolated argument for an interstate move, but mention Adelaide to any parochial Sydneysider or Melbournian and it is more often than not met with scoffing, invariably by those who have never travelled there.
        "The big brother or big sister will always knock the little one into place," Melbourne-based Lawrence Mooney said, an Adelaide fan who visits regularly.
        "People need to feel superior in some way or another. That's why Adelaide's picked out.
        They might call Adelaide a sleepy town with a disproportionate appetite for weird, headline-grabbing murders; an ageing place full of baby boomers who block innovation and refuse to retire; or a town full of hardcore football fans who harbour a chip on their shoulder for losing the grand prix to Melbourne.
        Such descriptions are correct, of course, but unbeknown to Sydneysiders equipped with blinkers, or Melbournians reciprocating an unassailable football rivalry, Adelaide has transformed significantly over the past seven years:
        A rivitalised CBD is bursting with small bars and start-up businesses The famed February/March Fringe Festival has exploded into the second largest of its kind in the world A revamped Adelaide Oval is bringing tens of thousands into the CBD all year around After years of letting it languish, the State Government is finally investing in public transport and reinstalling a city tram network The transformation has not gone unnoticed overseas.
        Lonely Planet recently listed South Australia fifth on it Best of Travel 2017 list, citing its wine regions and beaches as drawcards, just three years after it endorsed Adelaide as one of the top 10 cities in the world to visit in 2014.
        And in 2016, the Economist Intelligent Unit listed Adelaide as the fifth most liveable city out of 140 cities surveyed worldwide.
        Melbourne was listed as number one; Sydney dropped four places to move out of the top 10 altogether.
        PHOTO: Adelaide's east and west are separated by the busy Rundle Mall shopping strip. (ABC News: Nicola Gage)  
        Young adults making the move
        Rita Horanyi, 34, moved to Adelaide from Melbourne in 2010 to do postgraduate study and now lives there.

"It's true that Adelaide didn't have a great reputation when I first moved, and back then it was understandable why that was the case," she said.
        "In the last five years the city has improved significantly. Adelaide's bad reputation lingers, but friends of mine from interstate who visit for festivals and so on do notice the changes and are pleasantly surprised."
        Warner Music media manager Bret Woods, 35, moved back to Adelaide about four years ago after spending his adult life in Sydney.
        "Working in the music industry, I'm seeing there's more than enough stuff going on," he said.
        "To me, it almost feels like when Sydney had that small bar scene five or six years ago. Adelaide's in the same situation."
        Having recently bought a house in Adelaide, Mr Woods simply laughed at the idea of buying a house in Sydney.
        He added that perceptions of Adelaide interstate were starting to change, with several friends from the UK and Sydney having recently visited for the Fringe Festival and the Clipsal 500 car racing carnival.
        "And obviously our wine regions are pretty highly regarded, and at least do their bit to hold up SA to the rest of SA [outside the festival months]."
        PHOTO: Wineries, such as Bird in Hand, draw crowds to Adelaide's wine regions with events all year around. (Supplied: Bird in Hand/Felix Forest)  
        News Limited journalist Stan Denham moved to Adelaide from Sydney five years ago.
        "The kind of lifestyle you can have in Adelaide is not attainable in Sydney, unless you are earning megabucks," he said.
        "I was up there last weekend and was struck again by the beauty of the city, but then very few Sydneysiders get to really enjoy that.
        "Most of my time was spent working and commuting."
        Dubai-born surgeon Annika Mascarenhas, 27, moved to Adelaide from Perth in 2013, having visited the year before.
        "I've been here while things have started to boom," she said.
        "I think the misconception exists that Adelaide's a sleepy city. It exists in Perth as well.
        "The Oval opened, the Fringe got a bit bigger, more wineries are advertising good weekends ... there's plenty to do."
        Adelaide's biggest challenge is jobs
        Before Adelaide can expect a major influx of young adults chasing the homeowner's dream, however, it does lack in one area that Sydney and Melbourne has in spades — job opportunities.
        Most of those jobs have been in the services sector, financial services and the health care sector.
        "But unfortunately for the rest of the country, the jobs growth story hasn't been as strong," Mr Kusher said.
        Until recently, South Australia suffered the highest unemployment rate in the country, due largely to a downturn in mining and the decline of large-scale manufacturing. Start-up businesses and small bars are unlikely to produce the same levels of employment, but the State Government has been working hard to transition the city's employment base.
        This includes securing major, long-term defence contracts, spending big bucks on a medical research hub, and courting emerging industries such as self-driving cars.
        But Melbourne and Sydney also benefit from being the headquarters for the big end of town in businesses, multinational companies, banks and financial institutions.
        "It would be hard to move them away from those cities for somewhere like Adelaide or Brisbane or Hobart," Mr Kusher said.
        "Those cities need to look at ways to attract different types of business or to find ways to attract big businesses to move part of their functions to other parts of the country."
        Mr Kusher added, however, that as more and more businesses started to allow their employees to work remotely, there could be a shift of workers moving to places where the housing is more affordable, "in markets like Adelaide".