resit of IELTS GRRR

Kezzles

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi again,

Just another quick question. In a nutshell, I see this is your strategy: questions --> corresponding section --> questions

Do you skim through the questions too? More specifically, do you skim all multiple choices given as possible answers to a question?

@samlk: I thought you were more in the range of 7 and 8, and a 6.5 thrown in there just for fun.

@Kezzles: Did you mean ‘not written explicitly’ ?

@mcgyver: English is not my first language, you can check out my result in my signature. I found 60 minutes to be enough for the reading part. The way I did it was read all of the text, then the first question, look for the answer, 2nd q, answer, and so on. If the answer was not easy to find then I was able to mess about a bit (that is coded for curse in my mind, panic a bit, and read carefully and slowly again). So as you see perhaps the time was more than enough for me.

Since I need a 7 in the speaking part (HA! Just thought of this: they should’ve asked me to curse, use bad language, I can do that fluently, just don’t ask me to speak about libraries!), and if I really want to go to Australia, then I will have to take the test again (but not this year), and I’m planning to use the following for the reading part: 1st question, look for answer, 2nd q, answer, and so on (just like Kezzles said). Much easier if I think about it, questions and answers are in order, one after the other, as in not mixed up.

Hi again,

Just another quick question. In a nutshell, I see this is your strategy: questions --> corresponding section --> questions

Do you skim through the questions too? More specifically, do you skim all multiple choices given as possible answers to a question?

Um I don't skim questions I think I spent more time ensuring I understood the questions than reading the text.

Not doing well in practice listening tests I'm hoping it's the distraction of the washing machine noise but I'm getting 4-5 wrong! If I miss the answer it's putting me off for next one I slightly panic! I thought listening would be easy but it's proving most difficult part for me. My teachers at school were not wrong when they said I was easily distracted!! Just hope I can pull it out of the bag on Saturday!

Hi Kezzles,

You are getting 4/5 wrong answers which means you are getting 35/36 out of 40. That's an 8.

I know but it's so borderline I need to improve look what happened last time only half mark short. I'll try another today once washing shuts up lol! I'm distracted now by wanted down under ha ha!

Ranging from 34-37 seriously don't like it think my confidence is affecting my ability to hear stuff I find last section really tough must have mental block? Going to try underlining key words in text see if that helps . I'll let you know. How are you getting on?

Yes, I used your "skim" formula and I spent enough time to understand the questions for the reading module. I got an 8; best so far. I will continue practicing along that way.

Yes, the final section of the listening module indeed is relatively more challenging than the rest others, in my opinion. Good luck.

Yes, I used your "skim" formula and I spent enough time to understand the questions for the reading module. I got an 8; best so far. I will continue practicing along that way.

Yes, the final section of the listening module indeed is relatively more challenging than the rest others, in my opinion. Good luck.

Well done you, glad it worked for you!!

Hey

i sat speaking test last night! Think it went well. Talked about education from very young pupils through to adult learning, cookery and tv.

Now for the rest of it tomorrow!!

I did mine too last night at WSE, went way better than last time! I got asked about history and had to talk about a major event. Also got asked about clothes and mobile phones?

really nervous about tomorrow! I am doing really well on the listening practices.

Good luck for tomorrow!

I did mine too last night at WSE, went way better than last time! I got asked about history and had to talk about a major event. Also got asked about clothes and mobile phones?

really nervous about tomorrow! I am doing really well on the listening practices.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Hey that's where I did mine!! I was there at 615, I'm in Wimbledon tomorrow too so if you see me say hi!!

i had those topics last time!

Im super nervous too...we CAN smash this!!

Hey that's where I did mine!! I was there at 615, I'm in Wimbledon tomorrow too so if you see me say hi!!

i had those topics last time!

Im super nervous too...we CAN smash this!!

Haha, we would have been there at the same time. I went in at about 6.10 and came out at 6.20 or so. Those guys were VERY friendly unlike the last place I did the test!

It will be easy this time, don't worry!

Just want to share this post. It was brilliant for me. It is from Clarebear

----------------------------------------------------------------------

one tip for the reading that I found useful......

Don't get caught out on the true/false/not given (or Yes/No/Not given) questions - they can easily trip you up

I know this will sound obvious but this is essential for these questions...

Yes/True - You must be able to find a comparable phrase in the text. It must agree with the statement! you should be able to identify the key words in both the statement and the text. The sentences will have the exact same meaning

for example

the statement might say - Some English people need to sit the IELTS exam

the text would say something like - a selection of people from England are required to take the IELTS test

some = selection

English people = people from England

Need = required

If you identify the statement, but the words have a different meaning, then it will be false

eg if the statement read ALL people from England........ This is FALSE!!

If you cannot identify a statement in the text that is either the same meaning, or the exact opposite, then the answer is Not Given. - do not make assumptions about the meaning of the text.

so the text might say 'people should be able to show they can write in english' - Do not assume this means they need to take the test! it is simply not given!

Hope that helps!

I came out at 620 as I went in early!! Were u the guy sitting by finger print passport checker guy? I had red coat on!

That was me! Light blue collared shirt. I don't remember the coat but do recall the tall guy mistaking a Chinese girl for who I think was you?

Archived