resit of IELTS GRRR

Kezzles

Ive been told my an MA that DIAC will only count my work experience post my degree which means I fall short of 5 points so it means resiting that damn IELTS to gain 8's across all 4 areas!! wish me luck!!

I fell short by 0.5 on the listening test... but scored well on all others...DEEP BREATH!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30085

Good luck Kezzles, you'll manage it. Better than applying for the visa and finding out they won't accept your pre-qualification work experience, it's a lot of money to lose x

Kezzles, you know that for the points you can take the general version of the exam, as it is supposed to be easier than the academic one ?

Hey levi

thats the one I did, to be honest I thought test was fairly easy I just lost concentration on listening one so lost half mark I needed. Praying I score as well again next time and it wasn't just a fluke good result!

Hi Nic

yep got that too but apparently they only count my exp post degree and sometimes they knock first two years off that which means I've gone from 10 years exp to only 3 which equates 15 points to 5!! I'm sure I can get 8 in listening I'd rather have 20 points from ielts than risk claiming points for Exp and the CO disagrees with me..goodbye visa and money!

Kezzles, we are in the same boat :( Got 7.5 in W, all other 8. I will resit the test on October the 12th as well :) When I took the test, I was really confused about the Reading part, because I had like 6 questions which were united, like question 15 and 16, and they ask you only one question, and you have 2 answers. I was confused, never have seen anything like that, and did not know how to answer. For example :

Question 15 and 16 :

bla, bla , bla , bla....

Answer: 15-A , C

16-A, C

OR ?

Question 15 and 16 :

bla, bla , bla , bla....

Answer: 15-A

16-C

I am afraid I will get the similar test again . Did you have any similar difficulties when you took the test ?

Kezzles, we are in the same boat :( Got 7.5 in W, all other 8. I will resit the test on October the 12th as well :) When I took the test, I was really confused about the Reading part, because I had like 6 questions which were united, like question 15 and 16, and they ask you only one question, and you have 2 answers. I was confused, never have seen anything like that, and did not know how to answer. For example :

Question 15 and 16 :

bla, bla , bla , bla....

Answer: 15-A , C

16-A, C

OR ?

Question 15 and 16 :

bla, bla , bla , bla....

Answer: 15-A

16-C

I am afraid I will get the similar test again . Did you have any similar difficulties when you took the test ?

Hi err not sure I understand?? So guess I didn't get any questions like that but it sounds confusing. Two questions asking same ?

Kezzles, you understood right. For example, it was written on the test :

Questions 15 and 16 : ( bla, bla, bla , long question )

I knew the answers, but what I did not know was, where to write the answers.

Should it be 15: A and 16: C or 15: A, C 16:A, C I tried to Google it, but had no luck.

From my experience, luck is needed as well as preparation :) You need at least 35 points in L to get 8 , and 37 points in R to get 8. If you can scan the text, and try to read it before you hear the Cd, it will be a lot easier. I was amazed what silly mistakes I made while practicing. For example, the time something opens, I hear 7:30, and it actually is 7 : 15...

@SAMLK

Boat rides are an option, but only if you want to end up at Papua New Guinea :biggrin:

Kezzles, you understood right. For example, it was written on the test :

Questions 15 and 16 : ( bla, bla, bla , long question )

I knew the answers, but what I did not know was, where to write the answers.

Should it be 15: A and 16: C or 15: A, C 16:A, C I tried to Google it, but had no luck.

From my experience, luck is needed as well as preparation :) You need at least 35 points in L to get 8 , and 37 points in R to get 8. If you can scan the text, and try to read it before you hear the Cd, it will be a lot easier. I was amazed what silly mistakes I made while practicing. For example, the time something opens, I hear 7:30, and it actually is 7 : 15...

@SAMLK

Boat rides are an option, but only if you want to end up at Papua New Guinea :biggrin:

Ahh yes I've seen that in practice material but can't remember how I wrote the answers?? Logicically you would assume two consecutive questions can't have same answer so if it were me right now answering I would go for 15 a 16 c. Who knows with ielts it's a strange test anyway!!! God if I only got 7.5 in listening I must have got quite a few wrong? Better practice before 12th! I've decided not to practice speaking as that was a joke, I'll read newspapers next week in case any of writing tasks have any current affairs and I'll do couple reading ones just to get back into the technique!

Good plan :) I will practice W, since I got only 7.5. You probably had 36 points on L part. Maybe you misspelled something, who knows ? Please, if you come across some questions in R, which were put together, like I had, let me know what the true answer is .

Good plan :) I will practice W, since I got only 7.5. You probably had 36 points on L part. Maybe you misspelled something, who knows ? Please, if you come across some questions in R, which were put together, like I had, let me know what the true answer is .

Will do!

Im a pretty good speller so prob not that I know I got 3 wrong for sure so maybe slipped up on one other which would have given me 7.5. I'm mad it was 0.5 away from gaining 20 points grrr!

Im practising listening and reading tomorrow so will let you know if I come across that sneaky question!

Will do!

Im a pretty good speller so prob not that I know I got 3 wrong for sure so maybe slipped up on one other which would have given me 7.5. I'm mad it was 0.5 away from gaining 20 points grrr!

Im practising listening and reading tomorrow so will let you know if I come across that sneaky question!

Hi Kezzles,

I'm in the same boat, resitting on the 12th too. It's frustrating going through the same material for the sake of trying to improve the result by 1 point (0.5 in your case)! Anyway, all the best for your next attempt. Let us know how you get on.

Do list your scores for those 5 tries. I'm darn curious about those sixers and 6.5ers.

1st attempt,

L 7.5 , R 6 , W 6.5 , S 5.5

2nd attempt,

L 7 , R 7, W 6.5 , S 6

3rd attempt,

L 8 , R 6.5 , W 7 , S 6

4th attempt,

L 8.5 , R 7 , W 6 , S 7 (went for re-marks, no change)

5th attempt,

L 6.5 , R 7 , W 7 , S 6.5

Good they only give 6.5s not 6.9s :wink:

Hi Kezzles,

I'm in the same boat, resitting on the 12th too. It's frustrating going through the same material for the sake of trying to improve the result by 1 point (0.5 in your case)! Anyway, all the best for your next attempt. Let us know how you get on.

Pain eh! Let's hope we both get those damn 8,s across all 4! Good luck too!

Hi Kezzles,

Having English as your native language, please tell me what it is like to practice the reading module. I am just wondering about the native perspective like yours on it. As for me, English is not my mother language and I find it quite challenging to complete the reading component within the little amount of time allowed for it.

I have tried a few reading modules taken from practice exams. I have tried both the Academic and General exams, knowing that the Academic is more difficult and hoping that putting efforts on the Academic could help me better prepare myself for the General which is (supposed to be ) easier.

If I relax too much while practicing, I end up using all 60 minutes on the first 2 passages with no time left for the third/final one. Then if I am less relaxed and more alert then I end up scrambling all over a passage.

Please comment. Thanks.

Hi Kezzles,

Having English as your native language, please tell me what it is like to practice the reading module. I am just wondering about the native perspective like yours on it. As for me, English is not my mother language and I find it quite challenging to complete the reading component within the little amount of time allowed for it.

I have tried a few reading modules taken from practice exams. I have tried both the Academic and General exams, knowing that the Academic is more difficult and hoping that putting efforts on the Academic could help me better prepare myself for the General which is (supposed to be ) easier.

If I relax too much while practicing, I end up using all 60 minutes on the first 2 passages with no time left for the third/final one. Then if I am less relaxed and more alert then I end up scrambling all over a passage.

Please comment. Thanks.

Hey there,

It must be really hard if English is not your first language. The reason I find it okay to do the reading in the time allocated is becasue I can just skim the passages to get a feel of what they are talking about. I always look at the questions for that section first then skim the paragraphs then go back to the questions again. Each answer normally follows the last one (in my experience) so if question 1 is in the first paragraph then next one will usually be in the next and so on. Another tip which I found useful is if its not written explicably in the text and the question goes something like ' is she wearing a black hat?' and the text says she was wearing a dark colour hat, then the answer options are 'true, false, not given' then the answer would be not given, dont assume dark means black. Does that make sense? If your time is taken up by reading ther text then try my technique of reading questions first and skimming then basically you are searching the text for the answer. Im not sure what else I can sugest. I am planning on doing one reading practice on Sunday so if anything jumps out at me I will let you know. Whens your test?

Archived