Jobs for over 60s

Guest spreadingwings

Guest spreadingwings

Hi guys

Do any of you have any experiences to share of work available for over 60s in Sydney or Melbourne? I'm not asking about any specific jobs available right now, just more about the chances of getting work for someone over 60. This would be for my mom, who would be joining me as a dependant parent and would therefore have a PR visa and would be eligible to work.

She's more than capable, has run her own businesses, just sold part of a startup and is not 'old' by any means. In South Africa there is just no chance of her getting decent work for a decent monthly salary, just because of her age.

Thanks so much!

Guest spreadingwings
Ageism is an issue in Australia. Without contacts probably not easy. RSA has other issues besides ageism that complicates the issue.

You're right FOC. It's harder to fight two battles instead of just one.

Hi guys

Do any of you have any experiences to share of work available for over 60s in Sydney or Melbourne? I'm not asking about any specific jobs available right now, just more about the chances of getting work for someone over 60. This would be for my mom, who would be joining me as a dependant parent and would therefore have a PR visa and would be eligible to work.

She's more than capable, has run her own businesses, just sold part of a startup and is not 'old' by any means. In South Africa there is just no chance of her getting decent work for a decent monthly salary, just because of her age.

Thanks so much!

How can she be classed as dependent on you if she is capable of working and has just sold her business?

Are you sure she can get a visa?

Guest spreadingwings
How can she be classed as dependent on you if she is capable of working and has just sold her business?

Are you sure she can get a visa?

When I say 'just', I'm talking about 13 months ago. Since then she has been unemployed, and does not have the funds to start another business. I have been paying all expenses for her for more than 12 months, which is the requirement for dependency, which I've confirmed with an agent.

Guest spreadingwings
So she spent all the proceeds of the sale of her business in less than a month, leaving her totally financially dependent on you?

How convenient.. :wink:

I said she sold, I didn't say she sold for a profit. But anyway, those are details that are unimportant here. The fact is that she's been dependent on me for more than 12 months.

Guest spreadingwings
Jeez, the only people he has to prove his mothers dependency to, is to the DIAC!

Just what I was thinking :) But I appreciate everyone's input anyway.

Guest guest30085
I think you underestimate the sensitivity of this issue considering that UK migrants are unable to claim dependency for parents because of the UK pension system.

Maybe not, but at least we know our parents will generally have a roof over their heads and some finances to live off, not that I'm saying its always adequate or they are well off, but we can't complain about a country that provides something rather than nothing?

Maybe not, but at least we know our parents will generally have a roof over their heads and some finances to live off, not that I'm saying its always adequate or they are well off, but we can't complain about a country that provides something rather than nothing?

Indeed

But there are many posts on here from UK migrants who want to bring an aged parent over but are unable to.......it is rubbing salt in a bit for someone, on a British migrant website, to claim dependency for a parent but then state that they are " more than capable" of working and have recently sold a business.

Totally agree-reading across several forums it makes my blood boil to see how these situations are presented - & it's pretty obvious how much work's gone on in the background to manipulate the system ( not that I wouldn't be willing to do the same :laugh:) just pees me off that I live in a country where there's absolutely no chance of getting away with even a $ £ whatever !!! DIAC must be a bit blinkered sometimes when it's so obvious to rest of us.

Nope, she will struggle unless she has some out of the box skills that couldn't be better met by a younger, cheaper Aussie. Anyone over 50 is going to struggle TBH but they will never tell you to your face that is the reason.

Most older migrants need to have a lot of money behind them in Aus as they aren't entitled to anything for some time. Perhaps she'd be better trying to build another business where she is.

I think you underestimate the sensitivity of this issue considering that UK migrants are unable to claim dependency for parents because of the UK pension system.

But a 60-65 wouldn't get dependency either in UK even though they are not pensionable age - they are able to work hence not dependent.

Archived