189 application, need to ask boss for a reference :( has anyone been sacked asking??

joanne

hi, i am at the next stage, english test done, degree been certified, need to send all my qualifications off along with a reference from my current employer saying i have been there for 14yrs etc, obviously i will need to inform my boss of my plans, i am scared that i will get the boot after asking for this, has anyone had any trouble from there bosses? ie made redundant straight after etc?? would appreciate some advise if poss -

My boss was okay with it, I was clear to explain the length of time to process the application and made sure he was aware it was something that we were considering doing and that it may never happen, also that I wouldn't be jumping on a plane anytime soon.

I got the reference at Christmas and it hasn't had a detrimental impact at work and I have still been booked onto training courses etc.

If you're really concerned, depending on the size of your company HR might be able to provide a suitable reference.

Not had any issues at all. My managers and colleagues have been really supportive and quite envious to tell you the truth. I guess if you give them enough notice they can think about recruiting to your post when you leave. I have to give 2 months notice anyway so that gives them plenty of time to advertise and appoint. I do BTW work in the public sector which I always feel is less harsh than private industry. it would be very petty if they thought that just because you are leaving you would take any less pride or put less effort into your job than you do now? Difficult to say when not sure which industry you are in but Good Luck anyway. :o)

I asked my boss, which is also the owner of the company (!) and got the references, a year and a half ago. But I did make a brief introduction on me needing his help and a small lie I had an uncle in Australia who'd suddenly decided to help me out :). Besides, I explained that the process is long and that the success is not guaranteed. I got the signature with no consequences and I'm still in the same place at the company.

DIAC ( via local embassy ) contacted my company couple of months ago to check the statement from the references.