When did you take/are you taking the kids out of school?

LadyCroft

Next week we move in with my Dad and get ourselves ready to book the flights, ship our stuff and all the actual leaving stuff. :arghh:

At the moment we are thinking of just keeping our little one at his primary school and driving to and fro instead of moving him to the local school near my Dad's (providing his current Primary school are OK with this) since we should only be in the UK for the next 6-8 weeks.

Anyone else in this situation or can anyone else tell me when are you taking the kids out of school? Days before flying out or the week before or... I don't know what to do about this now. These are the issues coming up now!

Thanks

We are keeping our son in school till the day before we leave. His world is going to change dramatically after that and I want his routine and life to be as normal till the day we depart. Its a mass of packing boxes, stuff being sold and so on in the house and I'd like to keep some normality for him with his friends and so on. Plus its a big ask to expect him to stay out of school till we go (Oct 9) when it started at the beginning of Sept. He'd be bored senseless and upset knowing all his mates were at school and he wasn't. So he will go to school up to and including the Monday and Tuesday of the week we leave and then thats it and we fly out on the night flight from Heathrow on the Wednesday. Day of travel to the airport and so on, arrive in Aus on the Friday and he starts school for the new term the following Monday.

His current school should be ok. I can't imagine they would want to go through all the hassle of liaising with another school if it was only for 6-8 weeks.

We've got 3 kids, but only 2 are in school. The plan is we fly out middle of May but they will finish at school on the bank hol weekend as I'll be taking the kids to my grandparents for the final week or so. This gives my OH the time to get our house back to rights before we hand over to the landlord. I've had to pack many times with kids in the way.....steam cleaning carpets and painting walls no way!

Good luck!

we moved 6 mile away from the primary school where my two children attend. We moved in with my in laws and there is a school a 2 min walk away from their house but we decided to drive them to their existing school everyday as the upheaval of moving away from friends once is bad away but twice in a short space of time would have just been awful. I am happy going to and fro to their school in the car and the school are been very supportive when we have needed time off for meds etc. fingers crossed we are hoping to fly out on the 16th october (not booked yet as hubby is already in perth and is flying back to get us so depends on him). If this happens then 11th will be their last day

We kept our daughter in school until the last possible minute too, as she an august baby she was still only 4 when we took her out so we had to apply to the regional education director, happily she approved her entering Aussie school early. Happy to say despite being the youngest by a country mile she is easily middle to top in most things.

My eldest son stayed at school till last minute because he was on a weekly school trip that last week and didnt want to miss it. My middle son was in reception and i took him out a week before so he could spend time with grandparents for that last week. Turned out good that way for us as we was stopping with one set of grandparents and saw the other set in the daytime.

Next week we move in with my Dad and get ourselves ready to book the flights, ship our stuff and all the actual leaving stuff. :arghh:

At the moment we are thinking of just keeping our little one at his primary school and driving to and fro instead of moving him to the local school near my Dad's (providing his current Primary school are OK with this) since we should only be in the UK for the next 6-8 weeks.

Anyone else in this situation or can anyone else tell me when are you taking the kids out of school? Days before flying out or the week before or... I don't know what to do about this now. These are the issues coming up now!

Thanks

We left my son in his primary school (in pre-school class) until a couple of days before we left. It gave him security and allowed him some final good times with his friends before we left. We had 4 days with the in-laws before they took us to the airport and that was quite enough. I definitely would not move your son to a different primary school as that will cause untold upset, especially as the move is likely to upset him anyway. Definitely leave your son where he is. My son was (and still, 9 months later) is devastated at having left his friends at school, even though he is happy in his new school.

Thanks for the replies. Fine. I will be keeping him in his current school until the day we fly out. Keeping to his routine and all that although I don't thinkhe really understands what is going on and that he thinks we are just going on holiday. He is still very young but I don't want him getting upset at all over this so thank you for your advice.

Archived