How long can I keep UK bank account open?

LadyCroft

I know this has been asked before but I can not find the thread and I don't remember exactly what the situation is.

When we move to Melbourne we are transferring over the majority of our savings but want to keep our UK account open for a while. How long can you keep your UK account open, what does it involve (eg are there tax issues) and can I keep some savings in there and transfer them once (fingers crossed) the AUD-GBP exchange rate gets a bit better at the start of next year.

Thanks for ANY help with this one. I have no clue :wacko:

Well it will depend on the bank. With Nationwide we did not need to keep a UK address and they sent cards etc to Oz. We operated it on-line. Just declare the interest.

We still keep an Oz account now we are in UK. They take 10% witholding tax at source and we declare the rest in the UK. Again they use our UK address.

I would keep it open it can often come in handy. Why close it unless you have to. It is now seemingly impossible to open an account in the UK without a UK address but you can keep accounts as expats.

I would check with your bank - but do not rely on the counter staff, they are not always up on it. Check the website first, and if counter staff are unsure ask them to double check. I was told at first I would have to close my accounts but this was definitely NOT the case.

With our HSBC account we just changed our address and all our statements and bank cards are sent to us in Australia. No problem.

With Tescos we use our in-laws address and again no problem. We just have to declare the miniscule amount of interest we make on our Australian tax returns.

Archived