Semi-skilled labourer with 9 years of experience but no papers - am I likely to get a job ?!

davidscott

I'm 28 and have 9 years experience as a semi skilled labourer.

i can do plastering, roofing, joinery and plumbing to an extent but do not have any qualifications.

at the moment I renovate flats for a living but I'm not sure if that's any use but any feedback would be appreciated

cheers

i can do plastering, roofing, joinery and plumbing to an extent but do not have any qualifications.

at the moment I renovate flats for a living but I'm not sure if that's any use but any feedback would be appreciated

cheers

Hi mate,

i don't know for sure but i would hazard an educated guess that you have no chance without any qualifications. What is in your favour though is you are young so i would suggest choosing an individual trade ( i would pick plumbing ) and go off to college and get your papers then some work experience in that trade for a few years and then you would be in a far better position.

I am looking at becoming a renewable energy (Green) engineer. This would give me an NVQ level 2 in plumbing and heating and an EAL Level 3 Certificate in Installation, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings. I am assuming renewable energy is booming in australia right now ?

No chance. Sorry.

I disagree...we came to Perth some two years ago...I am a qualified steel fabricator (boilermaker and steel erector) with over seventeen years of experience working in heavy construction (large cranes etc) I hold numerous uk licences, quals etc but they counted as if I had none at all, what I am trying to say David, is even with all my certs and stuff I had to re do all my licenses and boilermaker qual here in Australia, which I did, during this time I just took a general welding job, ...there are a number of vacancys here in wa as trade assistants (what we call labourers in the uk)....you could get a job as a trade assistant and then work on getting your australian licences, some cost less than others an average forklift course for example is around two days and cost about $500, a mewp licence (cherry picker etc) three days around the same amount .....anyhow good luck hope I have helped a little :)

I disagree...we came to Perth some two years ago...I am a qualified steel fabricator (boilermaker and steel erector) with over seventeen years of experience working in heavy construction (large cranes etc) I hold numerous uk licences, quals etc but they counted as if I had none at all, what I am trying to say David, is even with all my certs and stuff I had to re do all my licenses and boilermaker qual here in Australia, which I did, during this time I just took a general welding job, ...there are a number of vacancys here in wa as trade assistants (what we call labourers in the uk)....you could get a job as a trade assistant and then work on getting your australian licences, some cost less than others an average forklift course for example is around two days and cost about $500, a mewp licence (cherry picker etc) three days around the same amount .....anyhow good luck hope I have helped a little :)

He has to qualify for a visa to get here first before he can do any of that! Wont get a skilled visa so it would either be sponsorship which is highly unlikely as an unqualified tradie or a WHV, if he has no dependents.

He has to qualify for a visa to get here first before he can do any of that!
Yes Thank you for your infinite wisdom and knowledge oh wise one.....but I think if you read the question he is asking...'he is semi-skilled with 9 years experience and no formal papers' is he likely to get a job........no where in the question does he mention wether or not he has a visa ....glad to have been of help

Yes Thank you for your infinite wisdom and knowledge oh wise one.....but I think if you read the question he is asking...'he is semi-skilled with 9 years experience and no formal papers' is he likely to get a job........no where in the question does he mention wether or not he has a visa ....glad to have been of help
Ok smartarse! Why would he want a job if he cant get a visa!

Guest Guest66881

Retraining is the key mate, you get get lucky and get some casual on site work if you are cheeky and walk on to sites offering your 'skills', but like others ahve said you really need to get quals over here.

Ok smartarse! Why would he want a job if he cant get a visa!

Where in his question does he say he can't get a visa.....do you reckon....even remotely there is a chance that he may be coming on his partners visa ......just imagine that! ....just like my wife came on my visa.....if the question was regarding getting a visa he would have said that.......I was pointing out to you that he asked a question regarding his work that is all......and if I am a smart ass then you are a dumb ass lol.....now now children..lol :jimlad:

Totally agree, that is why I asked if he had a visa, as in his first post he didn't actually mention needing one, and if he does have a skilled partner, or is a citizen by decent etc, then he may very well be able to get work.

Please try not to get nasty with each other just because someone is pointing out something you missed. It is not a competition, we are all here to help each other.

cheers

We are moving to Australia in January and my hubby will be in quite a similar situation. He has been working for the past 3 years as a painter assistant, but he does not have any qualification in that. On the other hand he has a Bachelor degree in Commerce, but no experience...

So we were hoping he will be able to quickly get a job as an assistant again on a construction site or something like that even if it's low pay. He checked some postings on seek and quite a lot of them does not mention "qualified" or "qualification required" etc. I would guess that won't be a bad option and as long as you can show that you're good at it...

Archived