Perth living costs

tingtongman

I have done some research and found Perth to be quite expensive compared to towns like Brisbane and Melboune.

If you go out of the city and into the rural regions, do prices for food and travel go down, or are they still around the same as in the city?

The reason I ask is because I am going to Oz on WHV ideally Perth. But giving the research I done I am thinking maybe I should go to a cheaper city. But whatever city I visit, my first plan is to move to a rural area and get some work to get a 2nd year visa.

Any comments would be great.

Thank you.

Can you stay in one place more than a period of time? The WHV used to mean folk would be required to move state to get an extention and only remain in a job for a period of time. I would go where the work is. OLD has plenty of farm related work. Can you do that on arrival? I thought it was after a year in the country?

Hard to keep up with the changing requirements.

I have done some research and found Perth to be quite expensive compared to towns like Brisbane and Melboune.

If you go out of the city and into the rural regions, do prices for food and travel go down, or are they still around the same as in the city?

The reason I ask is because I am going to Oz on WHV ideally Perth. But giving the research I done I am thinking maybe I should go to a cheaper city. But whatever city I visit, my first plan is to move to a rural area and get some work to get a 2nd year visa.

Any comments would be great.

Thank you.

I dont know where you get your information from but I have just moved to Perth after 4 years in Melbourne and apart from Rent and maybe drinks in pubs(but I dont go to them very often) things are the same. All the same prices in Coles etc.

I dont know where you get your information from but I have just moved to Perth after 4 years in Melbourne and apart from Rent and maybe drinks in pubs(but I dont go to them very often) things are the same. All the same prices in Coles etc.

Nice to know AJ, the links below are my sources. Hopefully you can take a look at let me know what you think

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-11/pricey-perth/4814248

http://www.perthnow.com.au/money/cost-of-living/perth-is-australias-most-expensive-city-according-to-numbeo/story-fnhld5o2-1226677289063

Perth vs The gold coast in terms of cost:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Australia&city1=Perth&country2=Australia&city2=Gold+Coast

Can you stay in one place more than a period of time? The WHV used to mean folk would be required to move state to get an extention and only remain in a job for a period of time. I would go where the work is. OLD has plenty of farm related work. Can you do that on arrival? I thought it was after a year in the country?

Hard to keep up with the changing requirements.

sorry I meant we dont really want to move around Yes we can do farm work on arrvial, my options at the moment seem to be Perth Vs Brisbane/Gold coast. I just wondering what the cost factor is. Perth seems to have a lower unemployment rate too compared to QLD. So I need to factor that in.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-08/unemployment-figures-july/4873390

As I said, the rent is more expensive, but in Melbourne we lived 45mins drive to the city in a brand new 4x2. Looked nice but had cardboard walls and a tiny garden with only stones in it and paid $340. Here we live 20 minutes from the city in an older house, slightly smaller, huge garden, beach 5 minutes away and pay $580. To live in a suburb the same distance from Melbourne, the beach etc I think I would pay around the same there so its not really when you think about it.

One of your articles mention rise in Petrol - this is very misleading, the petrol price goes up and down daily everywhere not just Perth, so you just need to find the cheap day and fill your tank then.

You will find some things dearer and some things cheaper that is just how it is, but rurally you might find it dearer again because it is isolated, my colleague was in Albany the other day and said when she bought lunch it was the same price as in the city $9! Seemed abit steep to me and it wasn't some upper class cafe either.

I don't think you'll find it cheaper rurally, the opposite in fact because it's so isolated! They have extra costs to get everything there from the Cities.

Haven't been over to the GC so can't really compare cost of living. We came to Perth on WHV's and stayed and didn't go bankrupt. In fact we had more money then that we do now! (Although to be fair, we've bought a house so have all those associated costs).

Depends on whether you get work I guess and what you do, otherwise you'll be struggling where-ever you go.

Perth job market is tough for some, ok for others.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived