what would happen to the secondary applicant 489 visa if got divorced

Guest jilkfree1978

Guest jilkfree1978

Would the secondary applicant of the 489 visa be able to stay in Australia and apply for permanent residency if the couple were to get divorced? They have a child also. Thank you.

Would the secondary applicant of the 489 visa be able to stay in Australia and apply for permanent residency if the couple were to get divorced? They have a child also. Thank you.

They would need to apply for their own permanent (next stage) visa and meet the requirements for that.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 03/09/2013 at 18:39, lebourvellec said:

It the secondary applicant could meet the conditions of living in Regional Australia for 2 years and working FT for 1 year they would be able to apply for their own 887 visa independently from the primary applicant on the 475/489.

Hi, I'm holding a 489 dependant visa. Things went wrong in our marriage and I'm planning to live separately (we haven't decided on a divorce yet). I would like help on 2 things:

1. Will my visa be revoked if we live separately (in different apartments)?

2. Will there be any issues while applying for 887 visa independently after completing 2 years of stay and 1 year of full time work (do not want to apply as a dependant anymore)?

3. Is it advisable that I move out of the country and apply for 491 visa instead?

Appreciate any help. Thank you.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 31/01/2020 at 14:54, LizzyD said:

Hi, I'm holding a 489 dependant visa. Things went wrong in our marriage and I'm planning to live separately (we haven't decided on a divorce yet). I would like help on 2 things:

1. Will my visa be revoked if we live separately (in different apartments)?

2. Will there be any issues while applying for 887 visa independently after completing 2 years of stay and 1 year of full time work (do not want to apply as a dependant anymore)?

3. Is it advisable that I move out of the country and apply for 491 visa instead?

Appreciate any help. Thank you.

How did you go Lizzie ? 
please let me know