Electric and Water

Nealmason1986

Hi guys,

We are finally in our rental accommodation.

I need to start looking into setting up water and electric.

Which companies to people recommend.

I would normally price comparison in the UK but i can seem to find that facility here in the ACT.

Which company do i contact for water (is there only 1 for the area like in the UK or is their a choice).

I presume most places dont have gas? I am in a new build town house and i cant even find the water heater. The water is way to hot and i want to turn it down to save on electric.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Neal

Choice? What's that?

Thanks for the help guys.

When you rent you can still chose who you use. It's nothing to do with the landlord when you have a tenancy agreement.

Signed up to now.

Still not sure if I have gas or not though. I am making this enquiry. I wanna know how to control the incoming water temp as it's to hot and causing problems with the temp.

You may well not have a choice for water it depends. In SA at least the landlord pays the water charges and the tenant pays some or all of the actual useage (a much smaller proportion of the bill) so they will dictate that. The landlord also pays the rates and ESL.

Many landlords do not have gas appliances to keep things simple.

Thanks rammy girl. I have asked the letting agencies these questions but I am yet to get a response regarding the water.

I am sure I will get there. I asked the question of who pays the water charges. Hopefully it's not all me.

Rammy girl - on another note can I ask why you picked rammygirl as a username? Its not because your from Ramsbottom in England is it?

If you have electric water its either night store which means its heated over night and does not heat during the day or very expensive heating all the time electric water.

The rules with water is that the lessee pays for the water used and the landlord pays the water rates. Usually have one water company for each area so no choice. Electric you have a lot to choose from and they all sting.

I'm not in Canberra, but we don't have a choice in Perth.

Electricity is Synergy, Water is, well the Water Corporation and Gas is Alinta (ok there is another one that's just come onto the market - Kleensomething? But really most people are with Alinta).

Edited to add that it cheeses me off that we don't have a choice yet these companies still charge you a $40-$50 'administration/connection' fee when you move in and tell them you now live there, as if you are not going to pay that and not have Electricity and Gas!

Edited to add that it cheeses me off that we don't have a choice yet these companies still charge you a $40-$50 'administration/connection' fee when you move in and tell them you now live there, as if you are not going to pay that and not have Electricity and Gas!

They are rotten, you also have to pay a fee when you move house ..

Right i have managed to speak with actew.

Apparently i dont pay for water and i have now got an electricity account.

Its tough luck on the water temp as its the same temp for the whole block of townhouses.

I dont suppose anyone can answer another question for someone renting. So now i know about water and elec what else do i need to do?

Council tax? Rates? What else is involved in the ACT when renting a house?

Thanks Guys

Right i have managed to speak with actew.

Apparently i dont pay for water and i have now got an electricity account.

Its tough luck on the water temp as its the same temp for the whole block of townhouses.

I dont suppose anyone can answer another question for someone renting. So now i know about water and elec what else do i need to do?

Council tax? Rates? What else is involved in the ACT when renting a house?

Thanks Guys

Rates and Council tax are the same thing really, you don't pay them the landlord does. You've done the essentials, next is the optionals - broadband/foxtel/contents insurance etc

Broadband and contents done. So as a tenant all I need now is foxtel for soccer lol.

Thanks for all the help.

You were doing well, and then you mentioned Girlie Ball..................

Archived