Applying for a PR while living in Oz

JULIE RYCROFT

Has anyone got any experience in applying for permanent residency while you are being sponsored & living in Oz ? Im looking to get a sponsor so I can see if I like it first, then apply for PR while im there. I you have done or are in the process of doing this, how are you going about it, what do you have to do, is it easier ???

Hi! I'm no expert, just gone through the same process you are thinking of so I'm sharing my story in the hope it helps you. We came here on a 457, very quickly, had never considered OZ before but husbands career brought us here. We were fully aware of what it is to come on a 457 and did not consider ourselves to be emigrating however, 4 years is along time so of course we shipped out all the furniture and would definitely have sold the UK home if the financial climate would have allowed to save the headache of renting (just saying before all the 457 doomers and gloomers jump in!!). We actually fell in love with the place and quickly realized we would like to stay so we applied for PR with the 100% backing and support of hubby's employer. Once we has gathered all the info and evidence and finally submitted the application it was granted 6 weeks later, all in all we were PR within 12 months of arriving on a 457. When I read others stories on here I acknowledge that obviously it was easier for us, however, it was just the right situation at the right time for us and for OZ in terms of hubby's skills. I will add the caveat that we did this pre July 2013 changes and at the time we arrived a 457 was not as precarious as it seems to be now. my hubby's employers were, and continue to be fantastic and I think this is all important for you, how committed to you are they, what job security are they offering and get it from the outset before you get on the plane how committed they are to your PR. We are a successful 457 story and there are many on here but there definitely has been a shift in the economic climate here since we landed.

Wishing you all the best xx

I was sponsored while over here.

It sounds like you are not actually here yet? If you are after a company to sponsor for TR first then it pretty much depends on your job for how likely that is to happen.

Im hoping to be there by May, Iv got a company called Heathstaff Recruitment sponsoring me for 4 years, Im a Nurse,

Hi! I'm no expert, just gone through the same process you are thinking of so I'm sharing my story in the hope it helps you. We came here on a 457, very quickly, had never considered OZ before but husbands career brought us here. We were fully aware of what it is to come on a 457 and did not consider ourselves to be emigrating however, 4 years is along time so of course we shipped out all the furniture and would definitely have sold the UK home if the financial climate would have allowed to save the headache of renting (just saying before all the 457 doomers and gloomers jump in!!). We actually fell in love with the place and quickly realized we would like to stay so we applied for PR with the 100% backing and support of hubby's employer. Once we has gathered all the info and evidence and finally submitted the application it was granted 6 weeks later, all in all we were PR within 12 months of arriving on a 457. When I read others stories on here I acknowledge that obviously it was easier for us, however, it was just the right situation at the right time for us and for OZ in terms of hubby's skills. I will add the caveat that we did this pre July 2013 changes and at the time we arrived a 457 was not as precarious as it seems to be now. my hubby's employers were, and continue to be fantastic and I think this is all important for you, how committed to you are they, what job security are they offering and get it from the outset before you get on the plane how committed they are to your PR. We are a successful 457 story and there are many on here but there definitely has been a shift in the economic climate here since we landed.

Wishing you all the best xx

Wow that sounds great, I have looked into the 189 visa but it all appears too much work and takes too long, i figured being there would make it quicker & easier. The company sponsoring me are aware that I want a PR so hopefully they will support me too, thanks x

Has anyone got any experience in applying for permanent residency while you are being sponsored & living in Oz ? Im looking to get a sponsor so I can see if I like it first, then apply for PR while im there. I you have done or are in the process of doing this, how are you going about it, what do you have to do, is it easier ???

There is no difference, either good or bad, to applying for a skilled migration visa now or doing it later once you are here. Other than the sooner the better, but you have been told this already..

If you can pass the skills assessment then I would be applying for an independent visa as soon as you can. For employer sponsored pr within the first two years you would need the skills assessment anyway, so better to skip and hold over you and get a visa on your own (from someone who had no choice and is tried to her employer for two years).

Archived