Current Job market situation in WA for mechanical engineer

Aston Ks

Can someone please enlighten me with current job market situation for mechanical engineers in WA?

The only job site that i find useful is seek.com. Most job sites have similar recruiters posting the same vacancy and there are very few companies posting vacancies, making me feel there are very few vacancies i.e. my opinion.

I'll be flying to perth in september and it is frightening, so far i have applied for 20+ position and haven't received single call. Ideally i would prefer to have job before i land but looking at the current trend it looks, it will be tough to even secure interviews even when i'm there.

Have you tried http://www.applydirect.com.au?

It is a website purely for employers, not recruitment agencies, so all the jobs on there are genuine.

Can't say what the jobs market is like for a mechanical engineer but it does not seem very good in other areas. I think you will have to be here in order to get a role as with the current employment situation, they will not look at people who are not in the country.

Have you tried www.applydirect.com.au?

It is a website purely for employers, not recruitment agencies, so all the jobs on there are genuine.

Can't say what the jobs market is like for a mechanical engineer but it does not seem very good in other areas. I think you will have to be here in order to get a role as with the current employment situation, they will not look at people who are not in the country.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I just got my PR.

Can someone please enlighten me with current job market situation for mechanical engineers in WA?

The only job site that i find useful is seek.com. Most job sites have similar recruiters posting the same vacancy and there are very few companies posting vacancies, making me feel there are very few vacancies i.e. my opinion.

I'll be flying to perth in september and it is frightening, so far i have applied for 20+ position and haven't received single call. Ideally i would prefer to have job before i land but looking at the current trend it looks, it will be tough to even secure interviews even when i'm there.

A friend of mine came to Perth about 6 months ago with excellent experience in senior positions as a mechanical engineer. He was told while in the UK that he would get a job easily. He arrived and was applying for hundreds of jobs very week and didn't get anywhere. In WA he couldn't get anything because he didn't have any oil and gas or mining experience. After spanking a lot of savings he finally manage to get a job in NZ and left. Don't want to bring doom on your move but make sure you do some research and call employers before you come out to get an idea on how employable you might be in the current market.

Hope this helps and good luck

A friend of mine came to Perth about 6 months ago with excellent experience in senior positions as a mechanical engineer. He was told while in the UK that he would get a job easily. He arrived and was applying for hundreds of jobs very week and didn't get anywhere. In WA he couldn't get anything because he didn't have any oil and gas or mining experience. After spanking a lot of savings he finally manage to get a job in NZ and left. Don't want to bring doom on your move but make sure you do some research and call employers before you come out to get an idea on how employable you might be in the current market.

Hope this helps and good luck

It's funny that you mention NZ. Within 2 months of getting here, I was offered an excellent job in NZ, but by that point we had just bought a house and my husband had a job, so I could not move to NZ for it. Had we not bought the house, then we might have taken it on the grounds that the work there for my husband is good as well. It struck me at the time that the NZ jobs market was a lot better than Australia (particularly WA) is at the moment.

Archived