Advise please

Webbo69

Hi ,

My wife and I have talked about emigrating for a while now we would be going out on my job (diesel mechanic) our biggest worry is money if we can afford to do it or not we have around ten thousand savings but worried that as it would get us across there that we wouldn't have much left, have others found that that have needed a lot for when they 1st get a cross ?

What would other people opinions be on how much would be best to go with we have 3 children too age 10, 6 and 5 and I heard you have to pay for some school depending on where you go, and is there some thing similar to the nhs across there or do you have to pay for that yourself. I had all different story's and not sure which to believe and don't know any one over there to find these things out any advise would be really appreciated

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know what visa you would be on? Child costs can vary a bit state to state and by your residency status.

Are you bringing your belongings over, or do you need to set yourself up totally out of that amount? It doesn't seem much, once you take into account rental bonds, a car or two etc. If you have a job lined up already it might not be that bad.

£10k, unfortunately won't go far if that has to include visa costs, fares, set up, car purchase, getting a rental, insurances etc etc

Going on a temp visa (457) may, if you are lucky, include relocation but the spin off is that in some states you could be stung for school fees (between $12 and 25k pa or 3 kids) and you get no benefits. At the end of it there is no guarantee you would get permanent residency and you run the risk of having to leave the country or find another sponsor in 90 days if your job disappears.

Yes, there is a medical service but it was designed as a co-pay system so the expectation is that for GP visits and prescriptions you would put your hand in your pocket each time (although Pom migrants do seem to be more assiduous than most at trying to get the free bulk bill option which makes your GP visits free) - dental and optical - user pays, big time!

If you get a permanent visa and have at least one job to walk straight into and you can take a career break, keep your UK home etc then you might scrape by but it would be touch and go IMHO.

If I remember correctly, when we applied for state sponsorship we had to show that we could afford to relocate and support ourselves for at least 3 months. Flights alone could be £3k and with the cost of visas and medicals etc, you might not have much of that £10k left before you even leave the country?

We found lots of information online, particularly Aussiemove, (http://www.aussiemove.com/costofliving/) but that is specific to Perth and I'm not sure how much costs might vary in other states. Also CommBank's website has a section for migrants with lots of cost of living information.

We had no savings, our house was in negative equity and I was on maternity leave when we started this process, yet we'll be going (hopefully) with £30k so if you really want it, then go for it... Anything's possible and there's so much help and advice available to keep you motivated and on the right track.

Good luck,

Debs

It will be a struggle with that budget. By the time you pay for the visa costs and medicals and things, then flights and shipping costs there wont be a lot left if anything. Then you are going to need a couple of months rent in advance - so, probably about $3600 just to secure a rental as it is normally a months bond and a months rent up front. You will have 5 air tickets to buy - not cheap.

Then you need cash to survive until you find work. It is advisable to have enough cash to live on for 3 months. With a family with 3 kids, that is a substantial amount.

Now though for the good bit.

You have enough cash to pay for the visas and stuff. The visa will take probably a year. So, you have that time. Then you have some time after it is granted to arrive in the country to activate it. So, you do have time to be madly saving while still getting the visa done.

I would stay away from the 457 visa. Not a good thing when you have a family in tow. There are far too many people who have suffered the big negative - they lose their job and then have to leave the country because they cant find another sponsor. Imagine arriving in Oz, having used all your cash and then losing the job. You would find yourself back in a UK airport broke and in serious trouble.

There is enough help on here to guide you through the perm residence visas.

Hi ,

My wife and I have talked about emigrating for a while now we would be going out on my job (diesel mechanic) our biggest worry is money if we can afford to do it or not we have around ten thousand savings but worried that as it would get us across there that we wouldn't have much left, have others found that that have needed a lot for when they 1st get a cross ?

What would other people opinions be on how much would be best to go with we have 3 children too age 10, 6 and 5 and I heard you have to pay for some school depending on where you go, and is there some thing similar to the nhs across there or do you have to pay for that yourself. I had all different story's and not sure which to believe and don't know any one over there to find these things out any advise would be really appreciated

Thank you

£10,000 it will cost you nearly this get ball rolling £30,000 would be a better bet with job to go to remember oz is cutting back.

It will be a struggle with that budget. By the time you pay for the visa costs and medicals and things, then flights and shipping costs there wont be a lot left if anything. Then you are going to need a couple of months rent in advance - so, probably about $3600 just to secure a rental as it is normally a months bond and a months rent up front. You will have 5 air tickets to buy - not cheap.

Then you need cash to survive until you find work. It is advisable to have enough cash to live on for 3 months. With a family with 3 kids, that is a substantial amount.

Now though for the good bit.

You have enough cash to pay for the visas and stuff. The visa will take probably a year. So, you have that time. Then you have some time after it is granted to arrive in the country to activate it. So, you do have time to be madly saving while still getting the visa done.

I would stay away from the 457 visa. Not a good thing when you have a family in tow. There are far too many people who have suffered the big negative - they lose their job and then have to leave the country because they cant find another sponsor. Imagine arriving in Oz, having used all your cash and then losing the job. You would find yourself back in a UK airport broke and in serious trouble.

There is enough help on here to guide you through the perm residence visas.

This is excellent advice and exactly what this forum is for....

I agree there is enough people on here who can give sound advice and help you through just ask....

:biggrin:

Archived