Tips for Cheap UK Xmas Flights

desreb

Hi,

We're finally getting around to booking our flights back for Christmas. I was just wondering if anyone's aware of any tricks or offers at the moment.

A few people have suggested buying a one-way to the UK, and then returns from the UK to Sydney after that since the returns from the UK will be cheaper than returns from Sydney. However, since we only plan to go once at Christmas, it looks quite hard to book flights more than a year ahead.

Last year we booked separate flights, going to Thailand with Jetstar to start with, which yielded cheaper tickets overall and a very pleasant stopover. Just wondering if there are any similar routes?

There is also a deal to buy Star Alliance miles on US Airways - you can buy 100,000 pts for US$1750, which are enough for an economy return Syd-UK. However, we've just missed that one, as the offer closes 31st August and your account must be over 12 days old at that point. The chances of booking Singapore Airlines travel (also Star Alliance) with US Airways air miles at Christmas is also probably extremely slim!

D

Well, if you strike the Chinese airlines, it's looking $2800-3200 a ticket. I went through booking with Virgin Atlantic and found they offer an upgrade to Upper Class for an extra $2000. I'd never normally consider paying for PE, let alone First - and travelling with a baby I still won't - but for lie-flat beds, champagne, club rooms and massages for less than 60% more, for a total of over 50 hours in a metal tube, it's almost worth it for the experience.

Book and flight from Sydney to Singapore. Then find your own airline from Singapore to the UK. I was looking for a last minute flight home and was quoted $1200 one way (From Perth). When I looked at the flight separately the drop dropped to around $700. Flights are so much cheaper once your out of Oz.

Guest littlesarah

In my experience, the best deals are the 'earlybirds' that come out 9-10 months before your intended date of travel, though most don't include the Christmas period. If you can fly out well before Christmas, it's usually quite a bit cheaper (e.g. leave around 10 December). There may be some points hacks about - but Christmas is usually pretty well off limits, in my experience.

Guest littlesarah

Actually, thinking about it, when I wanted to fly to B'ham, I couldn't get the special offer that was offered to fly to other European destinations, and when I looked into it, was cheaper to fly to Amsterdam and then on to B'ham (cheaper even than a train ticket from Heathrow - how mad is that?!). So, it's probably worth a go. Just be aware that you may have to check in again before your second leg.

We recently returned to the UK and flew with Air Asia to KL and Sri Lankan airlines to Heathrow. Sri Lankan airlines are a full service airline with 30kg luggage allowance and we were very happy with the service. The quality of in flight entertainment varies according to which plane you get - it was 'state of the art' KL-Columbo but not quite so impressive Columbo to Heathrow (still about 6 English speaking films on)

The total cost for three of us was $2800 one way.