Family Sponsored?

sher

Hi Guys,

We're looking at moving to Oz, I know I might be able to get state sponsorship as a teacher in a few years time once I have finished my physics degree, but its gonna cut real fine age wise!!!

I have close family in Oz Perth so potentially they could sponsor me, but I don't wanna put any burden on them, does anyone know what obligations they have if they do sponsor us and is it still worth 10 points??

Any idea how long it takes?

Thanks

Sher

Hi Guys,

We're looking at moving to Oz, I know I might be able to get state sponsorship as a teacher in a few years time once I have finished my physics degree, but its gonna cut real fine age wise!!!

I have close family in Oz Perth so potentially they could sponsor me, but I don't wanna put any burden on them, does anyone know what obligations they have if they do sponsor us and is it still worth 10 points??

Thanks

Sher

I'm no expert on the new visa's,there's plenty on here who are well clued up on them tho,hopefully they will advise you better than i can very soon.

To give you an idea tho,i have a mate who i advised to go for state sponsorship about a year ago as a HR manager(he has his A.I.M recognition)he insisted on staying family sponsored,think his wait up to now is roughly 3 yrs,i "think" i'm right in saying family sponsored takes the longest now

Like i say tho,there's a good chance i could be wrong,the visa's have changed so much since i got mine,but my mate is still waiting for a C.O all these yrs later,i know that much,good luck anyway,whichever way you decide to go Sher

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Sher

I am a little unclear about your thinking. Do you qualify for skilled migration now, or would you only qualify when you have the degree? Are you doing the degree for points or because of skills assessment? Surely if you want to migrate as a teacher, you would already have a degree, or are you not a teacher yet. Sorry for all your questions, but your post is a little bit too confusing to give really good advice to and requires some speculation.

Remember that family sponsorship, can add points to an application, but you would need to qualify for skilled migration anyway, no matter what, family sponsorship is not that useful to be honest. I guess that is what I am trying to ascertain from the above questions.

Thanks for the answer, I've found the latest on points I think June 2012 and you still get 10 points for family, but was hoping it might be a little quicker than waiting to finish degree and then applying as a science teacher instead of ICT/programming, the only state that wants ICT teachers is Victoria and my family is in Western!!

Well you never know if this prediction of a teacher shortage ever comes true maybe WA will sponsor secondary again (won't hold out much hope every few years they say crisis but there isn't) have seen some employers sponsoring phys math so will keep fingers crossed!!!

Have a good weekend

:wink:

With the new shift of year 7's to high school in 2015 in WA, there will be a greater need for secondary teachers. However, the ed department is already retraining primary teachers who want to make the move to secondary, as obviously there will be even less primary jobs available than there are now.

As they are currently about make thousands of people redundant in the education sector in WA I am not sure how you think you may come to WA as a sponsored teacher.

The reported redudancies are not in teaching. However, they do include EA's and staff in central office, but not teachers.

I am a little unclear about your thinking. Do you qualify for skilled migration now, or would you only qualify when you have the degree? Are you doing the degree for points or because of skills assessment? Surely if you want to migrate as a teacher, you would already have a degree, or are you not a teacher yet. Sorry for all your questions, but your post is a little bit too confusing to give really good advice to and requires some speculation.

Remember that family sponsorship, can add points to an application, but you would need to qualify for skilled migration anyway, no matter what, family sponsorship is not that useful to be honest. I guess that is what I am trying to ascertain from the above questions.

Here's my background BSc Hons 2.1 computing, worked as a server/network engineer, ccna ccnp MCSE all that Jazz, progressed to Project Manger, county wide installations of Citrix metaframe, blah blah!! Took an MSc Business Studies, got distinction, then moved into Project managing qualifications for OCR, design to deployment of national quals, back to IT to project manage databases!!

Then parenthood and a three year break, renders my previous work null and void for emigration purposes!! Always loved to teach, did some at Unis and voluntarily at school. Retrained as Computer science teacher!!! Started this July, won't have enough points without sponsorship either state or family, as I'm 40 and cn't get 5 points for hubby!!

I could get sponsorship as an IT teacher with Victoria, but because of family would rather be in WA who aren't sponsoring teachers!! Am doing a physics degree A because I'm a geek and love physics maths engineering all that Jazz and because it is from what I can see the only way even if they are sponsoring ICT teacher I will get to teach and I actually love teaching!!!

Call me crazy but teaching is my vocation, only career where I get to help kids and play with technology, build robots and have fun with maths and make it come alive and see the surprise on kids faces when they realise they can do it and they like it!!!!!

The move is more about family than Australia, though I love OZ and so does my hubby, we have a good if tough life here and I doubt other than weather it'll be much different in OZ just will have my family who we love! so that's why WA and the family sponsorship Q

Tthanks but I work with lots of teachers who feel the same way. I wanna work in one of the deprived rural school as that's my experience here the kids are HARD but when you have thier trust and start to work for you and with youits amazing

:laugh:I

I am also aiming at (489) family sponsorship, Perth. From what I know you must have an occupation on the SOL (Skilled Occupations List), IELTS. Yes, you do get the 10 points for the family sponsorship. For the 489 FS visa all of WA is deemed regional, so you can live and work anywhere you want in that state.

Obligations wise the sponsor will need to complete and sign the '489 Sponsor's Declaration Form' and from what I can remember it says "Your sponsor is to provide a declaration to the department that they will provide information and other settlement related support to you in the first two years of your stay in Australia."

Processing time currently is 12 months. "Note: We aim to process applications within these service standards, however, actual processing times may vary depending on a range of factors." http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/visas/8.0.htm

Archived