my sons education they will be 18 and 14

manchester lass

we are planning to go to Brisbane / sunshine coast in 2 years. myself and my husbands careers are both on the SOL (Midwife and developer/programmer). Our children are 5, 12 and 16. so my sone will be finishing college when we go. my question is would we need to pay uni fees if we went on a 189 visa? if so if he took a year out whilst we settle in ect would we still need to pay?

Also its not the best time for my 12 year old as he will be 14 then whats the support that the children get like? he will be beginning his GCSE;s / O Levels (if they do change to this ) by this time, do they have the same kind of exams over there ? has anyone moved over with a 14 year old? how did they settle in?

thank you

Yes, permanent residents have to pay uni fees. They pay the domestic rate but have to pay them up front by the semester - no grants or loans. A levels are a good option for uni entry, they convert well

Your 14 yr old will be fine as the final two years start when a kid is 16 so as long as he is in Aus by the time he turns 16 or is about to turn 16 he'll slot into year 11 (in the Feb). No, the exam system is totally different and different from state to state but usually either a continuous assessment, continuous assessment/exams or total exam process.

• 4 weeks later...
Your 14 yr old will be fine as the final two years start when a kid is 16 so as long as he is in Aus by the time he turns 16 or is about to turn 16 he'll slot into year 11 (in the Feb). No, the exam system is totally different and different from state to state but usually either a continuous assessment, continuous assessment/exams or total exam process.

My son will be in this situation too. But i am confused. If he is going in on a temp visa, he would be classed as an International student (and therefore attract those fees) until such a time as his perm visa is granted? Am I correct?

My son will be in this situation too. But i am confused. If he is going in on a temp visa, he would be classed as an International student (and therefore attract those fees) until such a time as his perm visa is granted? Am I correct?

Yes, once your son has permanent residency he will then be able to pay domestic rates rather than very expensive international fees. There are no loans for tutition fees though, those are only available to citizens.

Yes, once your son has permanent residency he will then be able to pay domestic rates rather than very expensive international fees. There are no loans for tutition fees though, those are only available to citizens.

Thankyou.

does the fact that my son will be being sponsored make any difference to the ''international student fees' part?

Archived