certification of documents

tomski1982

hi there,

me and my girlfriend are in process of preparing our partner visa application and i have a question regrading certification of documents that we need to send off with the rest of the visa stuff.

according to what i found on aus embassy in the uk website, a document can be certified in the uk by a solicitor , notary public a justice of peace etc.

basically, i want to find out the cheapest way of doing it. contacted a few notaries and they all seem to charge big bucks for their services. i need to provide translated copies of certain documents also as they are in polish. do they need to be certified too or the actual translation by a registered translator would do?

do you think that solicitors stamp on a document is enough as a certification ?

any other suggestions?

how much did you fork out for that service?

thank you for any help.

tom

Im pretty certain there will be a charge for translating the documents and I'm pretty sure both copies will need to be certified. Certified to say the originals were seen and then certified to say the translation is that of what it says on the original.

we paid a notary public £75 and that was for x amount of documents at any 1 time, there wasn't a fee per document. We used Spearing Waite solicitors in Leicester

Mine was the same. £80 for all of them. I have read on here though of people going to their local court and having it done for free. Just a case of waiting around. Mine had to be done by a notary, couldn't be a solicitor unless that solicitor was a notary. It would have been sent back to me if it wasn't. Make sure you're having them certified by the right person or you could end up paying again.

Debs

Im pretty certain there will be a charge for translating the documents and I'm pretty sure both copies will need to be certified. Certified to say the originals were seen and then certified to say the translation is that of what it says on the original.

we paid a notary public £75 and that was for x amount of documents at any 1 time, there wasn't a fee per document. We used Spearing Waite solicitors in Leicester

thank you for your reply. i shopped around and the fee sounds about right.

tom

Mine was the same. £80 for all of them. I have read on here though of people going to their local court and having it done for free. Just a case of waiting around. Mine had to be done by a notary, couldn't be a solicitor unless that solicitor was a notary. It would have been sent back to me if it wasn't. Make sure you're having them certified by the right person or you could end up paying again.

Debs

cheers debs

i thought of doing it at court too. seems to be the cheapest option i heard of so far. may pop in to magistrates in my city and ask around.

tom

I telephoned DIAC a couple of weeks ago about an unrelated issue and whilst on the phone to them, I asked and they said they only needed photocopies of documents but that the documents didn't need to be notarised. I spoke to Claudia on that day. Last week I spoke to DIAC again (Davide this time - and yes that is the correct spelling of his name!) and he again confirmed that the documents didn't need to be notarised, only photocopied. He also told me not to send to much evidence in but to be sensible and keep things realistic (I'm applying for a Spouse Visa for my husband).

Before spending money, I would contact them again and double check as when I queried that it said on the website that documents needed to be notarised, I was told that they haven't updated it but that it was no longer the case. Regarding the translations, you will have to get them translated but worth checking if they need notarising as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I only sent photo copies as the UK Australian Embassy Web site says the following:

Visa Applications

For visa applications lodged at the London office, if you are required to provide a police clearance, you must provide the original document.

If you are required to provide a statutory declaration, you must provide the original statutory declaration and a certified copy of the photo ID of the person making the statutory declaration.

For other documents, please do not send originals unless you are requested by your case officer to do so. There is no requirement that documents are certified when you lodge your application. If your case officer requires an original copy or a certified copy, they will contact you directly.

• 7 months later...

The website and even the staff on the helpline give conflicting information - the website says no it doesnt need to be certified yet our CO asked for original OR certified documents (she requested additional information at one point). I was lucky enough to work in a law firm at the time I was putting our original application and supporting documents together so just asked my boss to certify everything and lodged certified copies of passports, birth certificates etc but then when I was speaking to the help line prior to lodging they mentioned it didnt need to be originals or certified despite what the website says! The statements we lodged were not signed by a JP or notary, they were simply signed and dated by us and that appears to be satisfactory as we havent heard anything to the contrary from our CO.

With translations of documents though I think the website does say something about having to have it certified though.

I would put together absolutely everything you want to lodge and get it certified all at once - its better to have it certified than to not. And hopefully if you have it all at one time you will only get charged the one fee no matter the number of documents you have.

• 2 weeks later...

I do certification,attestation and notarization of documents for Australian Immigration in Seattle,USA and for other applicants by post/courier.I am Engineers Australia member and CPEng.

People who have difficult in getting same are welcome to contact me.

Archived