How much did you insure your move for? and anyone used INSURE your MOVE

rix1975

Ok ok I know how long is a piece of string! but just interested if you took a 20 foot container. Average 3 bedroom home. Nothing of too high value just the standard stuff. I would like to get an idea of the amount you insured for (before I get out my pencil and calculator!)

and

I'm going to use 'insure your move' - confused though that they don't require the detailed inventory. How do they know what is covered? what about breakages etc.

I may be wrong but if they don't require a detailed inventory it may mean that they are only insuring against loss of the whole container (I.E if the ship sinks). We went through the whole lot and listed everything when we went to Oz (40ft container + 2 cars) as to replace goods in Oz is very expensive. However on our return to U.K we only insured large goods I.E cars and large electrical items, this saved a fortune and any breakages could be replaced cheaply in the UK.

Guest Guest62720

I am A Director of Insure Your Move Ltd

In response to the original post our Insurers require you to simply declare a lump sum value of all your goods being shipped rather than specifically naming and valueing each and every item.

This means that if an item is damaged or lost there is no dispute as to whether the item was insured or not. This is to your benefit as otherwise if you are asked to list out each and every item as many of our competitors require and you omit to declare, for instance an iron and ironing board, then Insurers can legitimately state it wasn't declared therefore not insured. A bit of a 'cop out' in our opinion.

Please also note cover is for All Risks on a 'Door to Door' basis with no excess and not just Total Loss.

Don't do what we did!!!

We sat down and went through our inventory and put the prices of each box and then added it all up BUT this is not going to be enough. The insurance is new for old replacement, so you need to value how much the items damaged, lost etc would be to replace in Australia. I was advised to look online at anything over the value of £500 and see what those items would cost to replace in Oz. I had our 20ft container valued at 21K and as soon as I said it on the telephone, the guy said, you don't have a full container then:err:so back to the drawing board for us:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...