Shipping time

Tastastic

Hello again. Am I the only pom thinking of moving to Tas at the moment?! Sorry to hog the board!

Just wondering how long shipping might take. We'll be shipping a container from the UK and would like to know what timescale (roughly) to expect. We're still at the planning/deliberating stage so not quite ready to be talking to removal companies yet. I'm not sure how much extra time will be needed for the stuff to get to Tas from the mainland? Also, when it arrives in Hobart, how soon do you need to have emptied it? We have all sorts of scenarios/situations going through our heads at the moment regarding our arrival and shipping etc and it would be good to know what is or isn't an option. I'm looking at the shipping threads for general info but any Tas-specific additional information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Just to give you some idea, our container is going from Dartford to Melbourne and shipped yesterday, delivery is estimated on 19th September.

To be very honest I am now feeling like I should have sold the lot and started again!

We are a family of 6 and I thought that the kids may settle better if they had familiar items around them once we got to Australia.

We have lived in our rental in the Uk for the past 5 weeks with a borrowed table and chairs and sofa and little else! And do you know what.....none of us has missed anything but the potato masher!!!!!!!

It cost a couple of grand for the shipment and because we went groupage it has sat at Dartford for the past month waiting for the rest of the container to fill up.

We shipped less than they quoted us but didn't get a refund (30 cubic metres less in fact) rip off - they soon would have asked for more if it was over!

Honestly I would go back and do it over and just go with a suitcase each and enjoy buying new bits out there from target.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Gosh your shipping time is a lot quicker than I thought it would be (ignoring the month long delay of course - how annoying!).

You may be right about selling all your stuff and starting again but I couldn't do that. I'm far too attached to all my bits and bobs!

I hope your move goes well. Sounds like you haven't got long to go - how exciting!

Ours took around 12 weeks door to door. That included unpacking at this end and loading into a van and into our house.

For me, whilst shipping nothing lets you buy it all again which is fun, I'd rather have the choice of whether to do that or not. And if you ship your things you have that choice. Our experience was that we should have shipped more - we ended up throwing/giving away a load of things after our container had gone.

What I can categorically say is that the cost of shipping is significantly less than the cost of replacing everything.

Good luck.

Yeah 12 weeks is more like the timescale I was imagining (unfortunately!). I'm happy with our decision to keep our things, although I understand why some people prefer to, or need to, buy again when they arrive.

We're trying to work out whether we have enough time to ship our container in advance of our move, so that it arrives at roughly the same time as us. If everything goes smoothly it could work out really well. I'd best get packing now then!

It actually all falls into place (for once!) regarding shipping early. We've had an unsettled few years (lonnnngggg story!) and have been back and forth between the UK and where we live now, so we actually have two sets of a lot of things. We finally have all our stuff in one place here but the garage is fit to burst! We're also living in a rented house which is partly furnished which will help.

It seems silly to get rid of the spare beds and pots and pans here and then just buy a load more to tide us over when we arrive in Oz, as we wait for our container. So hopefully a plan is coming together. We just need to get the timing right!

Make sure you have been quoted all the way to Tassie

We were suddenly presented with an extra $1800 bill to get our container accross the bass strait to Tassie

Our container was held up in Melbourne for ages, customs were a nightmare and then we had to pay extra, and when we questioned it, we were told they had only quoted to Melbourne,,,,albeit I couldent find anything on the paperwork that said that (:

It actually all falls into place (for once!) regarding shipping early. We've had an unsettled few years (lonnnngggg story!) and have been back and forth between the UK and where we live now, so we actually have two sets of a lot of things. We finally have all our stuff in one place here but the garage is fit to burst! We're also living in a rented house which is partly furnished which will help.

It seems silly to get rid of the spare beds and pots and pans here and then just buy a load more to tide us over when we arrive in Oz, as we wait for our container. So hopefully a plan is coming together. We just need to get the timing right!

Bring everything you can, as its extremely expensive to buy new, especially if you want good things

Bedding is a must, you can buy cheap scratchy quilt covers and sheets ,but you will pay a fortune for quality.I still order mine from M&S, cant stand the quality of bedding here

Oh no, Saphire, that sounds like a nightmare, and just the kind of thing I'm worried about. Shipping to Australia from where we are (outside of the UK) is going to be a big deal, but to want to get our stuff that extra distance to Tas just seems like a recipe for stress (or at least a humongous bill). Did you have other problems with customs or was it all related to the delay due to the quote etc?

Thanks for the tip regarding bedding. How strange that you can't get good stuff over there. Sounds like a good excuse to go shopping though!

Bedding is a must, you can buy cheap scratchy quilt covers and sheets ,but you will pay a fortune for quality.I still order mine from M&S, cant stand the quality of bedding here

I find this comment odd, I don't think I've ever bought bedding didn't get properly soft until after it had been washed and condiitioned a good few times - be the purchase from KMart, House of Fraser or M&S.

Thanks for the tip regarding bedding. How strange that you can't get good stuff over there.

You can...it's just a matter of learning your way around (some) new brand names...although you can also buy some of the UK classics such as Sanderson here.

• 2 weeks later...
I find this comment odd, I don't think I've ever bought bedding didn't get properly soft until after it had been washed and condiitioned a good few times - be the purchase from KMart, House of Fraser or M&S.

I dont see why this would be an odd comment,,,,,its a matter of personal preference and I prefer decent bedding to the rubbish I have previously purchased in Kmart and the like.Plus I refuse to pay stupid money to buy bedding from Sheriden and Myer etc.So I buy all of mine from the UK, where I persoanlly prefer the quality and the price.

Each to thier own,I find it an odd comment that you can liken Kmart bedding to M&S or House of Fraser,,but there you go