Canberra Meet Up??

Nealmason1986

Hi Guys.

I am Neal and i am 27 from Bolton. I am here with my Girlfriend Anna who is also 27 and is from the Isle of Man.

We have been in canberra for 3 weeks and about to start work etc.

We have noticed a lack of POMS in canberra and was wondering who is out there and if they would like to meet up and maybe have some drinks and make it a regular thing.

With the summer coming and BBQ's on the way it would be a good time to start a circle of friends.

Also if there are any blokes out there who like a bit of Football please get in touch. I want to watch as much of the Premiership as i can and would love another Brit to go with.

There are plenty of Poms but no Pommy enclaves which isow it should be. You'll be fine mixing with the natives once you start work but, for heaven's sake, don't call it Football - that's a whole different ball game in Aus and in Canberra the Footie would be League or Union! (Call it soccer and the natives will understand)

Hi Guys.

I am Neal and i am 27 from Bolton. I am here with my Girlfriend Anna who is also 27 and is from the Isle of Man.

We have been in canberra for 3 weeks and about to start work etc.

We have noticed a lack of POMS in canberra and was wondering who is out there and if they would like to meet up and maybe have some drinks and make it a regular thing.

With the summer coming and BBQ's on the way it would be a good time to start a circle of friends.

Also if there are any blokes out there who like a bit of Football please get in touch. I want to watch as much of the Premiership as i can and would love another Brit to go with.

Sounds like a plan! The wife and I have been here since last February and would love to meet up sometime, where abouts in Canberra are you?

There are plenty of Poms but no Pommy enclaves which isow it should be. You'll be fine mixing with the natives once you start work but, for heaven's sake, don't call it Football - that's a whole different ball game in Aus and in Canberra the Footie would be League or Union! (Call it soccer and the natives will understand)

Depends, many of the lads I play Football with get slightly annoyed if you call it 'soccer' but yes, outside those circles it can be beneficial to refer to it as Soccer though generally when I say Football, given my accent, many assume I'm talking about Soccer anyway :D

Edited by pntaylor

we're getting Championship on Setanta, but haven't yet shelled out for Fox for Premiership... Pete (my hubs, posted just up there ^^) mostly watches those at a mate's or down the club (depending on time). The lads have been known to pull an all-nighter to watch early and late kickoffs overnight!

Always happy to meet up for a drink or two, we're in Wanniassa so southside suits us :) when's a good day/time for you guys?

Tut Tut! Whatever happened to assimilation? LOL

When i ordered Foxtel over the phone, the guy in Melbourne called it football.

I asked him why he didn't call it soccer like every other Aussie and he said they have regional list of terms to use depending where people are calling from, because the Aussies can't agree on what "football" means and they get territorial and offended.

If the caller is from Victoria they use football when promoting AFL and the Fox Footy channel, but if you're from NSW or QLD they say football when talking about League.

The English accents are pretty easy to deal with because we're consistent.....League, Union, AFL and Football.

When i ordered Foxtel over the phone, the guy in Melbourne called it football.

I asked him why he didn't call it soccer like every other Aussie and he said they have regional list of terms to use depending where people are calling from, because the Aussies can't agree on what "football" means and they get territorial and offended.

If the caller is from Victoria they use football when promoting AFL and the Fox Footy channel, but if you're from NSW or QLD they say football when talking about League.

The English accents are pretty easy to deal with because we're consistent.....League, Union, AFL and Football.

I can imagine the Croatians and Serbians refusing to call it soccer as well.

Well there seems to be a few couple who fancy a bit of a meet up?

Me and my girlfriend will be living on the south side in waramanga in 2 ish weeks.

Anyone know any good places down south where we can all maybe meet for a British meet up session?

Any good dates?

A Bite to Eat in Chifley is really nice for a coffee & cake meet-up, but we'd need to book if we're meeting up there, it's pretty popular so we'd need some idea of numbers. Otherwise maybe the Southern Cross club at Woden? It's nothing special but it's an easy spot.

Sundays are pretty good for us. Let us know once you've moved down and we'll find a date.

Waramanga's a nice spot, I have a bunch of friends that live up round there :)

hi Neal, I'm Shane from London 26 years old and sounds like im in the same boat as you haha! Got to Perth in febuary to meet my cousin full of poms then left there in July to come to Canberra and start a full time job just need to start getting some sort of social life rolling now. Would be nice to meet some people in a similar situation as me. By the way im a Chelsea fan and football mad (No matter what anyone says its called football not soccer.)

Can't seem to pm you.

That weird. Maybe it's because your new on the forum.

We should defo meet up and watch some football. Don't mind Chelsea myself. I am a bolton fan but I love football. Just dislike man city.

Where abouts are you living? We are in waramanga in woden.

Need more of a social life myself and a few lads nights out.

My missus is driving me crazy. Haha (hope she doesn't read that)

Are you on Facebook?

Do you like poker? I am bursting for a lad poker night some some beer and football.

Neal: look for a football club next season (I'm talking soccer), if you'd be up for playing a bit - my hubs plays for Lanyon United, they're based in Tuggeranong/Lanyon area so a little further south than you are but they're an awesome club and his social life is great. Through the football season they're down the club every weekend for drinks/dinner after the matches, and a fair amount outside of the season, plus they get into summer sixes, cricket, indoor footy etc etc. Season's just ending but they'll start pre-season up in February I think. PM me if you're interested in something like that, I can give you more info. Because it's quite a big club (they have 4 teams playing in state league this season) there's plenty going on. We found it's been a really good way of meeting people, getting a bit of a social life etc. There's a club up in Woden too but I have no idea what they're like, you could look into it.

If you're into cricket, cricket season is just kicking in so it'd be a good time to try and get involved with a team for that instead!

Sorry we didn't make it Sunday, a few things have come up recently and life went a bit nuts. Shall we try again in a couple of weeks? I'll check the diary and see when might work :)

-Cat

Yeah we need to pre plan another catch up.

I met with another Pom from this forum last week. Really nice guy. He is a hairdresser in Kingston now. Has only been here a few weeks.

I think we should all meet up and have some drinks and maybe a BBQ somewhere.

Sunniecat - I would love to play football again but i dont have the legs for an 11 a-side game now. I love 5 a-side though but i have not noticed any proper 5 a-side pitches in canberra. Just indoor.

Thanks for the advice though.

I am not a cricket man but i used to play rugby league until i started to get to many injuries.

We should try an arrange a meet up soon and give people a few weeks notice to make sure they are free.

Closest I've seen to 5-a-side is the summer sixes, and of course the indoor leagues. Don't know anything about rugby, because all the people we know play football, but I'm sure there'd be some clubs out there.

There are also some meetup groups though I dropped out of those circles a while ago - meetup.com is the place to look - I seem to remember quite a variety of interest groups so it might be another start point.

Maybe I'll start a post about 'meeting people'. It's a lot of effort at first, but it's worth it. We've found some awesome friends :)

We tried a few meet up groups and they were not really for us.

The pommy meet up group had 2 poms in. Me and my Girlfriend. the other 20 were other nationalities and it was very cliquey.

They were just not interested in welcoming new people into the circle. lol

I would like to meet people from this forum though. We have met some lovely locals since arriving so we are doing well with integrating.

Just want some pommy mates to discuss stuff with and talk about home and soccer etc. I still want aussie mates as well.