Australia number one choice for Brits.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen
Wow... I paid $287 to have my drains unblocked this week - took the guy 30 mins. The plumber and the electrician both want $140+ to walk through the door... I guess they're living the dream around here.

I think if they are part of a company you pay more but they don't get that money themselves and if they are self employed then they charge what people are willing to pay.

I know our painter charged $45 an hour but if he is doing work for a company he doubles it.

I was thinking about $30 an hour on day rate,maybe more on pricework,but i cba chasing me tail for the extra $ tbh,had enuf of all that now,if i can help it anyway

Re "dreamers",is there "that" many dreamers?on PIO im talking about,i know all i would be expecting is a lot of pain in the arse registering for medicare,driving licences,sorting insurances out etc,plenty of initial expense getting set up,then the difficulty of finding a job,in short,a load of hassle!i would imagine the majority on here would be expecting the same

I thought Tradies were on about $30 per hour?

yeah they are,but they are most likely on abn like me.but a lot I have spoken to are employed casual or full time and are on the$20-$25 mark.look at the industry pay award.LOOK the domestic housing industry is on its knees here in SA anyway and has been for some time.as luck would have it my work is in the commercial side with the big stores mainly westfields and woolworths and all the sister companys it owns eg bws/bigw/dan murphys etc and I sub contract through a company who works for these.GOING OFF TOPIC.But $30 a hour with a family is not a lot for a family man when you take 18% out tax then fuel then you know the rest.it is really hard.bills are increasing all the time and for the life of me I cannot understand why the oz gov still has this skills in demand list for tradies .its a conspiracy .theirs not enough work for people all ready here.you've got mines closing down,car manufacturing going down the gurgle.where are all these misplaced tradies gonna go,Oh I know a coffee shop as a barista.LOL

I was thinking about $30 an hour on day rate,maybe more on pricework,but i cba chasing me tail for the extra $ tbh,had enuf of all that now,if i can help it anyway

Re "dreamers",is there "that" many dreamers?on PIO im talking about,i know all i would be expecting is a lot of pain in the arse registering for medicare,driving licences,sorting insurances out etc,plenty of initial expense getting set up,then the difficulty of finding a job,in short,a load of hassle!i would imagine the majority on here would be expecting the same

I agree its all a big hassle for not much more reward

Guest The Ropey HOFF
yeah they are,but they are most likely on abn like me.but a lot I have spoken to are employed casual or full time and are on the$20-$25 mark.look at the industry pay award.LOOK the domestic housing industry is on its knees here in SA anyway and has been for some time.as luck would have it my work is in the commercial side with the big stores mainly westfields and woolworths and all the sister companys it owns eg bws/bigw/dan murphys etc and I sub contract through a company who works for these.GOING OFF TOPIC.But $30 a hour with a family is not a lot for a family man when you take 18% out tax then fuel then you know the rest.it is really hard.bills are increasing all the time and for the life of me I cannot understand why the oz gov still has this skills in demand list for tradies .its a conspiracy .theirs not enough work for people all ready here.you've got mines closing down,car manufacturing going down the gurgle.where are all these misplaced tradies gonna go,Oh I know a coffee shop as a barista.LOL

Things in Oz sure seem harder, but for a lot of folk here in the UK who are struggling, they still think it's worth giving it ago, things have been chronic here in the UK on the jobs and wages front for the last 5 years. I suppose it's what people's individual situation is.

I agree its all a big hassle for not much more reward

I dont know about the reward BP,as ive said before,i havent lived there yet,so i will comment if i ever do,but yes,initially i would expect a lot of hassle and expense

Wow... I paid $287 to have my drains unblocked this week - took the guy 30 mins. The plumber and the electrician both want $140+ to walk through the door... I guess they're living the dream around here.

jeeeese I know things are tight for tradies but a sparky cleaning your drains!proves my point works tight.lol

I dont know about the reward BP,as ive said before,i havent lived there yet,so i will comment if i ever do,but yes,initially i would expect a lot of hassle and expense

mate tradie to tradie its the same old s*** just a diferent bucket with blue skys well not yet we are still in winter.

mate tradie to tradie its the same old s*** just a diferent bucket with blue skys well not yet we are still in winter.

Yeah i know mate,was talking to a brickie in Adelaide the other day,im not one who expects utopia BP,just wanted to give it a go and see,if i cant/dont,im fairly happy here,just feel like a change,maybe Europe if not Aus

Things in Oz sure seem harder, but for a lot of folk here in the UK who are struggling, they still think it's worth giving it ago, things have been chronic here in the UK on the jobs and wages front for the last 5 years. I suppose it's what people's individual situation is.

yeah thanks hoff for that perspective I like your posts (about England anyway) and I totally agree with it is what peoples individual situation is.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I'm not expecting work to be any better when I get there and I don't think it will be utopia, but I do like great weather and beaches and playing golf in the sunshine and sitting out on an evening having a cold drink, chilling out after having a barbie if we've had one, things I did a lot when I was there. It's not massively life changing TBH but I have a good life here and think my life there will be just as good, but with better weather, leading to a bit better lifestyle.

I'm not expecting work to be any better when I get there and I don't think it will be utopia, but I do like great weather and beaches and playing golf in the sunshine and sitting out on an evening having a cold drink, chilling out after having a barbie if we've had one, things I did a lot when I was there. It's not massively life changing TBH but I have a good life here and think my life there will be just as good, but with better weather, leading to a bit better lifestyle.

It's worth coming out for the Golf alone. Some fantastic courses around Brisbane/Gold coast/Sunny coast too near me. Pretty reasonable price too to play most of them

Yeah i know mate,was talking to a brickie in Adelaide the other day,im not one who expects utopia BP,just wanted to give it a go and see,if i cant/dont,im fairly happy here,just feel like a change,maybe Europe if not Aus

mate 6yrs ago I would of said jump in with both feet.Now I would say jump in with your big toe.what I mean is do it but leave a bit of security back home just in case.this I mean for tradies only.other proffessions might and will prosper.

mate 6yrs ago I would of said jump in with both feet.Now I would say jump in with your big toe.what I mean is do it but leave a bit of security back home just in case.this I mean for tradies only.other proffessions might and will prosper.

Nah mate,no security to leave,need the hse to sell to go anyway,but i know what youre saying,like i say,had a good convo with a bricky there the other day,but ive gotta jump in with both feet,it "could" be a costly mistake,but i need to see

hoff whats the saying you talk the talk can you walk the walk.you really need to give it a shot mate. but if your happy why change it.we do a lot of nice things on holiday and have fond memories.what I am trying to say is emagine that waiter serving you ice cold coctails under the blazing sun don't you think he wishes he was somewhere else.we all do when working.and you will still have to do that here.God its so hard to explain.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
hoff whats the saying you talk the talk can you walk the walk.you really need to give it a shot mate. but if your happy why change it.we do a lot of nice things on holiday and have fond memories.what I am trying to say is emagine that waiter serving you ice cold coctails under the blazing sun don't you think he wishes he was somewhere else.we all do when working.and you will still have to do that here.God its so hard to explain.

It's just the daily grind, it's not that hard to explain, i know what to expect, but at 53 I want to do something different with my life. I can't go for quite awhile because my wife's recovering from surgery and the chances are we won't go, but life's good for me here anyway.

Just depends. The waiter may not want to leave his country but he may wish that he could win the lottery so he didn't have to work. Who wouldn't :biggrin: I need to work, but at least here when I'm not working its like being on hols

Your obsessed Hoff!!!!! Anything to do with 'stats' and scrutinizing why people want to go to Oz, what appeals, polls, percentages, weather, houses, crime, employment, blimey I'm sure if you donated blood, various facts and figures would come flowing out???? I have never seen a topic of conversation so debated and discussed... I'm just waiting to see it on the National News- 'Man Gets Psychotic Over Obsession and Fixation on all things Australian'!!!!!! Come on Jimbo, time for your medication...:wacko:

Just depends. The waiter may not want to leave his country but he may wish that he could win the lottery so he didn't have to work. Who wouldn't :biggrin: I need to work, but at least here when I'm not working its like being on hols

Any barrista jobs at your daughters work for me lol

:P

Archived