1 year to go!

nikkib

Im not sure i would go out and buy things just for the sake of it. Bear in mind warranty's arent always valid here if the goods are bought over seas and with shipping costs added on to the purchase price its probably better to buy here when you arrive.

Cal x

I agree about the car. We wish that we had thought of it sooner. There is nothing wrong with my car here and I will have to sell it for peanuts and then buy a car in Oz for more money and it will not be as good.

We have bought quite a bit as we are leaving our present property furnished. I would check online for things that you want/need and compare the prices. We are taking a 20ft container and are filling it up.

We are still over a year to go. Would strongly recommend further research particularly some of the threads on PIO. I have reached the conclusion that unless you have a classic car that you wouldn't want to part with taking your car would not be a good idea. It is a lot of hassle and will cost £0000s. If you then have a car not available in Oz you will have high cost of service and parts and potentially high insurance.

If you are planning to rent then your home may have white goods already. Even if you are buying they may be fitted in the kitchen. Car and white goods would be the two I definitely would not take based on initial research.

Go buy a Porsche!!!

My advice, take a look at the prices of higher end models of cars in the UK vs the price in Aus. For example you can get a '04 M3 in the UK for around £9K ($16,000 AUD) whereas in Australia the cheapest is currently $38,000. Factor in say $10,000 in import costs (roughly) and you would still be well ahead.

The only thing to be careful of is if you go for a REALLY high end car, brand new Ferrari, Bentley etc it will be MUCH harder to sell it. If someone is going to shell out $300,000 for a car they might not want to go for an import but cars in the $30,000 to $100,000 range have far more people looking to buy so you are a far better chance of someone happy to pay a little less for an import.

I am just gonna make an effort to update as much stuff as possible before i go, quilts, bedding, ill stock up on kids clothes in the sales.

Debating whether to buy new bikes here.

I am wondering if i should stock up on food/toiletries, im a bargain hunter and tend to have stashes, so it seems a waste to not grab things when see them

Archived