TRA Skills Assessment confusuion ....

froggles

Hi guys,

I am about to submit my documents to TRA for my skills assessment.

I have one issue regarding the job role that I am skilled at that i would like to clarify.

The issue is that oil and gas operators and power plant operators essentially do the same job although they have slightly ANZSCO codes. 399212 and 399213.

I did my apprenticeship and worked for 5 years as a oil and gas operator then I changed to a gas fired power plant operator 3 years ago. I have all relevant qualifications in both fields.

Will the skills assessment issue me skills in both fields or will they say I'm only skilled as the most recent ?

The reason I want to know is because it will effect the state that i will qualify for sponsorship with. This is dependant on whether I am oil and gas or power plant or are they treated as the same role? If you can provide me with advise I would be very grateful

kindest regards,

Ollie

Hi froggles. You need to be able to evidence 3 years of full-time paid employment at the required skill level for your nominated occupation with at least 12 months employment in the 24 months prior to application.

Due to the rule of only being able to apply for a job that I have worked 12 months in the last 24 I can only apply for the most recent position .

I have a migration agent I was just wondering if anybody knew how they assess the skills?

Sorry to hijack. I'm this second ready to send my 1000 to what I thought was tra for my assesment,but after going to payment page it says its for those who DO NOT REQUIRE a offshore assesment, which I think I do? Confused. Any quick help appreciated as dying to get payment and documents away!!! Cheers!!

• 2 years later...

Hi froggles,

We are in the same field working in a Combined Cycle power Plant but I am a graduate of degree in Mechanical Engineering. Our agent advised me to take the skill assessment for Engrs Australia. Upon seeing your post I am now confused.

Can you advise me what profession I will choose in my Skills Assessment? Thanks for helping.

Hi froggles,

We are in the same field working in a Combined Cycle power Plant but I am a graduate of degree in Mechanical Engineering. Our agent advised me to take the skill assessment for Engrs Australia. Upon seeing your post I am now confused.

Can you advise me what profession I will choose in my Skills Assessment? Thanks for helping.

What occupation are you applying under? If it's an engineering occupation, then EA is the correct skills assessor.

As I said, which occupation are you going to apply under? That will determine which skills assessor you are required to use.

I would like to apply as a Power Generation Operator but because of confusion which profession i will apply, I have not started my application.

Hi MaggieMay 24,

And also i saw in the TRA qualification requirements that you need to have three year of paid full time employment.

My employment details is as follows:

Nov 2008-June 2010,

July 2010-April 2013,

April 2013-January 2015,

February 2015-Present

Will it affect my application as i didnt stay in 1 employer for 3 years?

Thanks

Archived