Suburbs to commute into Sydney

nathan83

Hi, would anyone be kind enough to help me. I am looking for some help in understanding the suburbs of Sydney, places to live outside the city but within a 45 min commute into the city. What areas should i concentrate my property search?

Many thanks

Nathan

There would be hundreds of suburbs within 45 minutes of Sydney. This might sound facetious but I would recommend getting a big map and drawing a circle at the 45 minutes line around Sydney (check driving times on google or something). From there you really need to try and narrow it down your self a little bit, do you want beach of city, does it matter if you are north, south, east or west etc. Then go from there, the question is still a bit too broad for any good answers.

There would be hundreds of suburbs within 45 minutes of Sydney. This might sound facetious but I would recommend getting a big map and drawing a circle at the 45 minutes line around Sydney (check driving times on google or something). From there you really need to try and narrow it down your self a little bit, do you want beach of city, does it matter if you are north, south, east or west etc. Then go from there, the question is still a bit too broad for any good answers.

This is exactly what we did. OH works in Hurstville, so we used Google to get approximate drive times in all directions, and then used http://www.cityrail.com.au to look at the train lines and how far we could get on the train. Then we looked at our budget, lifestyle etc and then worked from there. We worked out where we didn't want to be which made finding where we did want to be far easier. It must have worked because we have been very happy in the area that we chose.

Have a look at the City Rail website, and also http://www.domain.com.au and http://www.realestate.com.au to work out what you like the look of and how far your budget will stretch.

Hi,

I would say it depends if you're driving or commuting on public transport. Personally, I find the Sydney traffic absolutely horrendous and would use public transport as much as possible (just my personal preference!).

When me and my girlfriend moved over we started by picking a few areas that we liked the sound of or had heard good things about, walking around areas that were relatively close to main bus routes or in close proximity to a train station, viewing properties to get an idea of the rental prices to see what we could get for our money and to see how easy the travel to and from the city was.

A good place to start would be to look on this site http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent as you can do filters on what facilities that you'll need (ie train station, supermarket etc) and you can also set your budget.

We found this method really good for researching areas, working out travel times into and out of the city and it helped to give us an idea of the areas and properties that were suitable for us

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

im looking at suburbs in new build suburbs around nsw near the coast but I'm too bothered about being close to Sydney, can anyone suggest any young family suburbs in new build suburbs ?

many thanks

QUOTE=Ridz84;1936292580]Hi,

I would say it depends if you're driving or commuting on public transport. Personally, I find the Sydney traffic absolutely horrendous and would use public transport as much as possible (just my personal preference!).

When me and my girlfriend moved over we started by picking a few areas that we liked the sound of or had heard good things about, walking around areas that were relatively close to main bus routes or in close proximity to a train station, viewing properties to get an idea of the rental prices to see what we could get for our money and to see how easy the travel to and from the city was.

A good place to start would be to look on this site http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent as you can do filters on what facilities that you'll need (ie train station, supermarket etc) and you can also set your budget.

We found this method really good for researching areas, working out travel times into and out of the city and it helped to give us an idea of the areas and properties that were suitable for us

Hi there,

im looking at suburbs in new build suburbs around nsw near the coast but I'm too bothered about being close to Sydney,

Can you clarify whether you mean Sydney...or Sydney CBD? If you're really not bothered about being close to Sydney you have over 2000 km of coastline to choose from!

Hi, would anyone be kind enough to help me. I am looking for some help in understanding the suburbs of Sydney, places to live outside the city but within a 45 min commute into the city. What areas should i concentrate my property search?

Many thanks

Nathan

)

If you want a 45 minute commute BY CAR then you will have to look at suburbs very close to the city. I lived in Ashfield which is 20 minutes drive outside peak hour but it could be well over an hour in peak time.

If you want a 45 minute commute by train, then get on the Sydney Trains website (sydneytrains.info) and look at the timetables. The closer to the coast, the more expensive the house prices and rents will be.

Hi there,

im looking at suburbs in new build suburbs around nsw near the coast but I'm too bothered about being close to Sydney, can anyone suggest any young family suburbs in new build suburbs ?

Oops silly me, I replied to the OP who posted years ago, not your post!

When you say "you're not too bothered about being close to Sydney" does that mean you won't be working in Sydney at all? And do you mean Sydney CBD or Sydney the whole city?

Most of the new build suburbs around Sydney are fairly far inland because land on the coast is the most expensive. And of course if they're commutable to Sydney, they get even more expensive. But if you can go up around Newcastle you'd find something more affordable.

Archived