Children starting high school in OLD July 2014 ages 14 and 16 will it be years 9 - 10?

samdom1

Hi

We are aiming to move over to the Brisbane area in June 2014, in time for our two children to begin high school in the July 2014.

Our children will be 16 and 14, we have had mixed advice re which years they would enrol, and although I'm sure the schools will be able to advise I wanted to find out as soon as poss so that the children aren't worried at all.

Will it most likely be Year 9 for our 14 year old, starting year 10 the following Jan? and Year 10 for our 16 year old starting year 11 the following Jan? They are both bright children and completely different but wonderful personalities, our son is the youngest and loves everything outside...he is capable of achieving but does occasionally suffer "can't be bothered" syndrome our daughter will have just finished her GCSE's and has always given school 100%., she's determined and loves education full stop!

Any comments/experiences greatly received and/or advice on helping them settle too please? They are as excited as we are, however if my kiddies are sorted I will then be sorted too:)

Thanks

Your 16 yr old really will have to start yr 11 in Jan 2015 - the final two years are a consolidated course leading to a university entrance score. She may be quite a bit older than the cohort though as it all depends when she turns 17 - the kids starting yr 11 will be either just turned or about to turn 16 so that may be a bit of a social problem. As long as your son has turned 14 by the end of June 2014 he could be in yr 9 but if he only just squeaks in with a birthday in May/June you might want to think about letting him enrol in yr 8. It's a shame you can't let your 16 yr old finish A levels, they travel well to Aus unis and keep all her options open for uni in Aus or UK, whatever takes her fancy at the time.

Hi Quoll

Thanks for your reply yep they will be right ages for year 9 and 10 Emily will definitely be able to thencomplete years 11 and 12 , followed afterwards by Dominic. We have discussed staying here for a levels but would complicate for both children as we woul then need to ensure our son completed higher ed here...all in all five or six years. We feel sure that actually giving them theopportunities of slightly different education in Qld with give them both best chaces to acheive their potential. Many thanks again.

I emailed a school in Brisbane as I have a son the same as your daughter, just finished GCSEs. We are hoping to be there by Sept time. the school said if grades are good enough from GCSEs he can enter yr 11 in October for last semester then go straight into year 12.

I emailed a school in Brisbane as I have a son the same as your daughter, just finished GCSEs. We are hoping to be there by Sept time. the school said if grades are good enough from GCSEs he can enter yr 11 in October for last semester then go straight into year 12.

Thanks Nic i'll give that a try too..can i ask how your going job hunting?

Hi I'm waiting till I get the golden ticket before seriously applying however I did send cv to agency to work in aged care facility and was invited for interview but they couldn't guarantee what position and where in Oz and it meant travelling to Manchester so wasn't that bothered though they did offer 2 weeks accommodation and car hire. how about you?

Watch out for that - a little while ago someone on here did that but at the end of yr 12 was told he couldn't get a uni entrance score because he hadn't done enough units! As i recall, he was a distinctly unhappy chappy! Better just bite the bullet and do the full 2 year course

It is possible because of the way the Queensland system is graded to start in October in Year 11 and still graduate at the end of Year 12. Be sure to ask the school what sort of qualification your son will have. Does he want to go uni and if he does ,does he want to do a course that requires a high OP - you need to make sure from the school that he will have the qualifications he needs for whatever he plans to do next. It will be tough enough moving countries to move to a very different schooling system making friends etc and get good results. It will probably be pretty hard for you as parents to understand the Queensland system as well as all the other big changes you will have going on in your lives. ( I have a child in Year 12 last year and another currently in grade 12 and I still struggle with the system and ask myself why they do not have a system similar to the other states.)

Good Luck with your move.:smile:

Hi Nic1171,

I'm not seriously job hunting until I have the golden ticket too...I have looked into an agency called Healthcare Australia and they are recruiting..check out the website.

Ive emailed a high school direct in Ipswich nr Brisbane and they recommended my 16 year old daughter definitely start in yr 11 so as to be certain of completing all the unit required of university entrance..even though she will have completed her GCSE'S and will be most likely the eldest in the year it seems the best way to give her the best chance. Plus my son will also be the eldest in the year in year 10, but I think thats definitley an advantage in terms of being more mature...where abouts are you headed when you get your golden ticket?

:jiggy:

Watch out for that - a little while ago someone on here did that but at the end of yr 12 was told he couldn't get a uni entrance score because he hadn't done enough units! As i recall, he was a distinctly unhappy chappy! Better just bite the bullet and do the full 2 year course

its all so different eh...thank you for your advice

It is possible because of the way the Queensland system is graded to start in October in Year 11 and still graduate at the end of Year 12. Be sure to ask the school what sort of qualification your son will have. Does he want to go uni and if he does ,does he want to do a course that requires a high OP - you need to make sure from the school that he will have the qualifications he needs for whatever he plans to do next. It will be tough enough moving countries to move to a very different schooling system making friends etc and get good results. It will probably be pretty hard for you as parents to understand the Queensland system as well as all the other big changes you will have going on in your lives. ( I have a child in Year 12 last year and another currently in grade 12 and I still struggle with the system and ask myself why they do not have a system similar to the other states.)

Good Luck with your move.:smile:

Hi thanks for that Nevsm

Hi Nic1171,

I'm not seriously job hunting until I have the golden ticket too...I have looked into an agency called Healthcare Australia and they are recruiting..check out the website.

Ive emailed a high school direct in Ipswich nr Brisbane and they recommended my 16 year old daughter definitely start in yr 11 so as to be certain of completing all the unit required of university entrance..even though she will have completed her GCSE'S and will be most likely the eldest in the year it seems the best way to give her the best chance. Plus my son will also be the eldest in the year in year 10, but I think thats definitley an advantage in terms of being more mature...where abouts are you headed when you get your golden ticket?

:jiggy:

Hi Samdom1 Im looking at heading to somewhere between South Brisbane and Gold Coast, particularly Cleveland, Redlands but also like Robina and Varsity Lakes further South in Gold Coast. Im hoping to have a few weeks so we can have a really good luck around the areas before deciding! Will check out that site ta

Archived